PDA

View Full Version : JBL's Image and 2-Channel Audio in the Future

Mr. Widget
03-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Does anyone remember Stereo? :) Remember the days when we would go to a stereo shop to listen to and drool over the latest gear? The other day I was talking with a member of JBL's marketing team and was told that there will be a new higher end speaker line available through JBL Consumer... no not Array Series, K2, or Everest level, but better than the current Best Buy sorta fare. I don't really know anything about it, when it will be available or any of that and I doubt it really relates to us as the vintage, DIY, and Synthesis level product that we all listen to is way beyond it's scope, but it is nice to know that they are trying to up the ante in the consumer realm.

A more interesting tidbit he told me was that a new JBL website will be coming and along with it JBL Synthesis/Harman Dealers will be listed as 2-Channel or multi-channel dealers... I found this most interesting. It tells me that along with record labels realizing that vinyl is still a viable product, it tells me that Harman is realizing that there is a 2-channel market out there that needs to be served. Maybe Harman will eventually learn how to market some of these amazingly good speakers that we have been enjoying!

Widget

theophile
03-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Widget,
it's obvious that along the way somewhere,the JBL bean-counters convinced the management to shelve their presence at certain market segments.Most probably because they were losing money.

I'm not one hundred percent certain that they won't again.

Fads drive much of production.The average up and coming college graduate has in general never seen/heard a great system.One doesn't desire what one doesn't know they are missing.The understanding that there is a gulf between what they have and what is possible is entirely lacking.Thus no impetus to trade-up.

Good Luck JBL.I applaud the effort to re-inject themselves into these market sectors again.

Uncle Paul
03-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I loved those days. I used to hang out for hours in a small shop in my home town that carried pro and consumer gear - really nice stuff - and the employees knew their business. Most of them played in bands or did SR when they weren't selling equipment. They never steered me wrong. Still have JBL drivers I bought there over 30 years ago.

I'm hoping that the current economy may get more people thinking about lasting value when they think about what they purchase. It's cheaper (and nicer to the environment) in the long run to buy something that will last than buying disposable electronics.

Titanium Dome
03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Though I'm not at liberty to disclose the vendor yet, I'm engaged in a conversation with someone whom I know. This tidbit might shed a little light on the subject if you read between the lines.

We are about to relocate to a larger facility. This move should be completed by the end of July if all goes well. We're in 10k feet now and moving to a facility 5 times larger. When finished it will display 18 theater rooms and an entire floor of 2 channel. All lower cost products such as Marantz, Denon and Cary Audio home theater products will also be on the first floor display area.

We are currently a Design & Engineering firm and of course we install the systems. We've decided that so many higher end dealers have gone out of business, it's time for us to expand into better retail access as well. The caveat is that I will never higher a sales person without REAL engineering and design certification and applied background (experience)

At that point we have 3 Theaters scheduled for Levinson/JBL products. 3 for McIntosh and a few others I'm not at liberty to discuss yet but they are also premier products. I can't announce all our new alliances until after other dealers have received their franchise termination letters. Hopefully you'll be one that appreciates our more customer friendly format.

When we're up in the new location, there will be no reason to go anywhere else. .......unless our brand franchises don't suit you. Of coure we'll still perform design, engineering, integration, automation and custom installation services regardless if you purchase your gear elsewhere.

Titanium Dome
03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I've been to the current facility. There's virtually no two channel presence there, except for one room that houses *all* the two channel systems mashed together. It has a tile floor, untreated walls, and a drop ceiling. It's awful.

I find it curious that this company is just now aligning with Harman, quintupling its size, and dedicating an entire floor to two channel.

:hmm:

gferrell
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Maybe someone is seeing the light (market), as the price of gas goes up we are at home more, and need something to cling to besides guns and religion. So someone sees a market again for high quality audio. (Might as well listen since your stuck at home) Plus you have a home theater! Who could ask for more?

Mr. Widget
03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Maybe someone is seeing the light (market), as the price of gas goes up we are at home more, and need something to cling to besides guns and religion. So someone sees a market again for high quality audio. (Might as well listen since your stuck at home) Plus you have a home theater! Who could ask for more?I don't know about being stuck at home, but perhaps as markets are maturing the marketers are looking beyond the "low hanging fruit" and are happy to pursue the smaller markets as well?

Heck, who knows, maybe now that the kids get their music for free they will drop some money on some decent playback equipment.

Widget

MikeBrewster77
03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
we ... need something to cling to besides guns and religion. So someone sees a market again for high quality audio.

They're not mutually exclusive you know. I often say my evening prayers whilst cleaning my 12 gauge and listening to Merle Haggard on my JBL's.

Heck, who knows, maybe now that the kids get their music for free they will drop some money on some decent playback equipment.

In which case they will be sorely disappointed when their pirated 128K MP3's sound like absolute shit on a revealing system, and will likely go back to listening on their iPod earbuds.

JeffW
03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe they can higher a proofreader :D

Titanium Dome
03-11-2011, 09:25 PM

I successfully resisted the urge to be the grammar police on that one, but it sure calls into question basic education.

1audiohack
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM

That's so funny, I thought the very same thing.

Titanium Dome
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
The stereo place to go for me in the mid 1960s was Jamieson's in Toledo. Surprisingly, they're still in business! I didn't expect to find them.

http://www.jamiesonsaudiovideo.com/products.html

No JBL, Kenwood, or Dual anymore, but lots of brands nonetheless.

Odd
03-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Harman may want to promote this series in the United States.

http://www.lydogbilde.no/nyheter/nye-klassiske-jbl-h%C3%B8yttalere

This was Harman Nordic at IFA 2010. Sorry text in Norwegian.

cooky1257
03-12-2011, 02:20 AM
'Theatre', surely?:D

Rolf
03-12-2011, 08:08 AM
No. Studio / home models. For years the only marked for baying has been in Japan. As the article says many importers all over Europe has demanded these, and finally they will be available in Norway, and rest of Europe I guess.

As far as I can read about the prices, the 4365 is about US$ 19500,00, 4429 about US$ 13500,00, 4319 about US$ 9700,00, and 4307 about US$ 6800,00.

All prices is calculated from NKR to US$ at the present exchange rate, so they maybe not quite correct.

I try to check for some more information.

Thanks for the link Odd.

'Theatre', surely?:D

4313B
03-12-2011, 08:26 AM
As far as I can read about the prices, the 4365 is about US$ 19500,00, 4429 about US$ 13500,00, 4319 about US$ 9700,00, and 4307 about US$ 6800,00.Those prices are absurd... The prices HCG is currently blowing out the K2's are more in line with reality.

The other day I was talking with a member of JBL's marketing team and was told that there will be a new higher end speaker line available through JBL Consumer...He spoke english? :blink:

Well, I suppose the end game is to have a small token force of english speaking people left in North America to cater to those who still speak that language...

Maybe Harman will eventually learn how to market some of these amazingly good speakers that we have been enjoying!Who cares? They sold us out dude... The last of the best are set to retire in a few years and then it will be all China going forward. Do you really want to peddle Chinese JBL's? Seriously? Pick up Tannoy. They still have an indigenous product line. JBL could have had an indigenous product line too but they're too stupid. I guess some of you guys are trying to salvage what's left for whatever reason.

The caveat is that I will never higher a sales person without REAL engineering and design certification and applied background (experience)

The correct English word is hire, not higher... we seriously need to put more money into education in this country.

Rolf
03-12-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm sure you are right, but remember the Everest DD66000 here in Norway is about US$ 116000,00

Those prices are absurd... The prices HCG is currently blowing out the K2's are more in line with reality.

4313B
03-12-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm sure you are right, but remember the Everest DD66000 here in Norway is about US$ 116000,00Wow! I'm really sorry for that. :(

speakerdave
03-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Personally I think the key point here has been made subtly by the repurposing of this word--indigenous--taking it from its application to the traditional, highly contextual economies of the fully mature (not "undeveloped) cultures of the world, and applying it to the insufficiently understood realities of the formerly industrialized western capitalist democracies. A wise man I knew in my salad days once said, "Sometimes it doesn't matter so much what you buy as who you buy it from." I think as a people we need to get this right now. I question whether the multiplier effect of the stimulative government dollar is as high when the majority of the products people buy are made elsewhere, so the solution to the present repressed economy may lie elsewhere. Who do you want to support?

Rolf
03-12-2011, 11:39 AM
What is the price in the US??? (For the DD66000)

Wow! I'm really sorry for that. :(

4313B
03-12-2011, 11:50 AM
What is the price in the US??? (For the DD66000)I think I recall them being something like $60,000 a pair. That was back in 2006.

Harman Japan has the price listed:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/jbl/hifi/dd66000/

2.8e+06 Japanese yen = 34192.2000 US dollars

3.1e+06 Japanese yen = 37855.6500 US dollars

They sure are nice!

Mr. Widget
03-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I think I recall them being something like $60,000 a pair. That was back in 2006.That is still the current list price. For the most part Harman has not raised domestic prices on the majority of it's products in several years.

"Sometimes it doesn't matter so much what you buy as who you buy it from." I think as a people we need to get this right now. I question whether the multiplier effect of the stimulative government dollar is as high when the majority of the products people buy are made elsewhere, so the solution to the present repressed economy may lie elsewhere. Who do you want to support?Absolutely.

I always try to support a local "mom and pop" whenever possible. More of the money from the sale stays in my community and often the service is better.

While I am very disappointed with Harman's handling of the JBL brand and Northridge, I do think we get too caught up on "Made in XXX"... the Apple iPhone which is assembled in China and is considered a $200 wholesale item bought from China in terms of our trade imbalance, has key components made in USA, Malaysia, and elsewhere. As it turns out, China, i.e. Foxconn, gets a whopping $4 per phone.

Widget

4313B
03-13-2011, 02:23 PM
While I am very disappointed with Harman's handling of the JBL brand and NorthridgeWell, you're kind of committed at this point and that's fine. I'm still at the "thoroughly livid" stage and haven't moved on to the "very disappointed" stage.

I guess the short version is that some people will move on and accept the new order and some people won't bother. In the scheme of things neither position matters one whit. It's all just business.