PDA

View Full Version : Updating Metregon

doodle6
03-09-2011, 10:56 PM
A Metregon has come into my possession. It's the 130 and bullet tweeter version, I think that's the 230 kit. I would like to improve it by converting to a three way. What's the most practical way to turn it into a decent sounding speaker system? Would the 4333 components work alright in it? I mean, I don't see why a slightly more modern three way wouldn't work just as well as the S82. Am I an idiot? hmmm......

John
03-11-2011, 03:47 AM
You would need a curved horn to fit in that cabinet. 2340 or H5040 if your interested in using small format drivers. Or if you want to go large format you need a H5041 good luck finding a H5041 I think they would be scarce. :crying:

hjames
03-11-2011, 05:19 AM
A Metregon has come into my possession. It's the 130 and bullet tweeter version, I think that's the 230 kit. I would like to improve it by converting to a three way. What's the most practical way to turn it into a decent sounding speaker system? Would the 4333 components work alright in it? I mean, I don't see why a slightly more modern three way wouldn't work just as well as the S82. Am I an idiot? hmmm......

One concern would be - what is the condition of the Metregon? if its clean it may be worth something to someone else as a collectible.
Of course, anything you decide to do is your choice, but if its in fairly good condition, perhaps it would be better to sell it intact and get something that better suits your ears? But if you do modify it, be sure to keep all parts you remove and make sure any changes you make can be reversed if you do decide to sell it later.

JBL Dog
03-16-2011, 10:05 PM

As John stated, if you want a 3-way in your Metregon, you'll have to have a bent horn. No way around it. There's barely enough room in the cabinet for an S82 or 282 component package (see pic below). May I also add intalling a 3-way in Metregon is one serious pain in the ass.

The 2307 horn of a 4333 will not fit in the Metregon unless you wanted to start cutting holes in the back panel.

Good luck!

:D

John
03-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Here is a shot of some strange looking 2340 horns that were laying around my command centre.;)

These will work for any 1" drivers you wish to use in those cabinets.:rolleyes:

Of course these are the pro versions but it all depends where your going with this?

If its just reproduction of audio they are the equal of the consumer version.50502