PDA

View Full Version : 044ti question for 250ti

WarEagle
03-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Ok, I bought some 250ti speakers about 3 years ago. I never realized that the tweeters are supposed to have a wire mesh grill over them. My questions are:

1. Are there any other products that use the same grill?

2. Is the only part I need the grill? Does it just pop in?

3. Does anyone want to sell a pair of grills? If so, what is your price?

4. And what is the best product for treating the wood on these teak speakers?

Don C
03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
The wire mesh grille is only there to protect the tweeter from poking fingers. The 044 had the same part but silver in color. The 035ti 035tia and 052ti also have similar grilles, but I haven't had a chance to measure each for size.
The grille is held in place by a rubber O-ring, stuffed into the groove alongside the grille. I've had good results with Watco restoring oil.

Ok, I bought some 250ti speakers about 3 years ago. I never realized that the tweeters are supposed to have a wire mesh grill over them. My questions are:

1. Are there any other products that use the same grill?

2. Is the only part I need the grill? Does it just pop in?

3. Does anyone want to sell a pair of grills? If so, what is your price?

rdgrimes
03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Call JBL parts, maybe JBL-Pro, they still had these a while back. Same for the o-rings. The 034 tweeter used the same screens as well.

Depends on who ya ask. A light sanding is recommended, depending on what's been slopped on there over the years. The original finish was a cocktail of turpentine and linseed oil. Most any oil-based dressing will be fine of you just want to polish them up. no waxes, please.

jbl_daddy
03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
The o-rings rot over time when removed are sometimes hard to reuse. Your local hardware store is a good o ring supplier. A Few years ago I tried to get new tweeter grill for my l100t3's and jbl said they were no longer available.

Do you still have those great looking l300's with the special crossovers?

Mark

BMWCCA
03-07-2011, 06:54 PM
62711 is the part number for the screen: $3.84 each in the last price list I've seen

62664 is the part number for the "retainer" ring: $0.36 in the last price list and what I paid for them from JBL (back in '08).

WarEagle
03-08-2011, 08:47 PM
L80t3's with 035ti tweeters that do have the grills. Two questions.

1. These grills are the same size aren't they? Just want to be 100% sure.

2. One thread I read about removing the grills said you stick a pick in and grab the rubber o-ring and pull it out. so do you stick in the pick through the mesh and pull? That mesh looks mighty tight to go in through the outside. But I guess that's what they meant. Any suggestions on tools for this process?

A couple of other questions. Some say the 035ti is superior to the 044ti. Really?

Also JBL supposedly sells a replacement woofer that doesn't have the foam surround. Anyone have any info on that? My woofers are out getting refoamed right now and the guy is taking way too long to do it.

and one more question. It looks like the polarity of the 250ti's are reversed. I saw a video where a guy said a lot of the old JBL's had the red as the negative and he connected a 9 volt batter up to a speaker to show it. Anyone heard about that?

BMWCCA
03-08-2011, 10:03 PM
All you're doing with the pin is lifting the rubber o-ring out of the groove. The o-ring is the retainer for the screen. Once the o-ring is removed, the screen will only resist falling out by the small force of magnetism and/or age. You can use the pin to lift the screen by poking it through the mesh but don't try to pull it out that way before you've removed the o-ring. It's stupidly simple once you do the first one.

For the rest of your questions you just need to spend a bit of time Googling around the site. Everything you've asked about is answered inside.
:dead_horse:

L80t3's with 035ti tweeters that do have the grills. Two questions.

1. These grills are the same size aren't they? Just want to be 100% sure.

2. One thread I read about removing the grills said you stick a pick in and grab the rubber o-ring and pull it out. so do you stick in the pick through the mesh and pull? That mesh looks mighty tight to go in through the outside. But I guess that's what they meant. Any suggestions on tools for this process?

A couple of other questions. Some say the 035ti is superior to the 044ti. Really?

Also JBL supposedly sells a replacement woofer that doesn't have the foam surround. Anyone have any info on that? My woofers are out getting refoamed right now and the guy is taking way too long to do it.

and one more question. It looks like the polarity of the 250ti's are reversed. I saw a video where a guy said a lot of the old JBL's had the red as the negative and he connected a 9 volt batter up to a speaker to show it. Anyone heard about that?

Robh3606
03-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Also JBL supposedly sells a replacement woofer that doesn't have the foam surround.

Yes that would be the LE-14H-3. They are discontinued but if you can get a pair grab them.

Rob:)

BMWCCA
03-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes that would be the LE-14H-3. They are discontinued but if you can get a pair grab them.

Still rubber, right, not cloth? Like the "rubber" that comes apart on the L3? :dont-know:

jbl_daddy
03-10-2011, 01:45 AM
You are referring to the surrounds actually cracking, I have seen that. Makes that old school cloth look good. Odd though, I have some ads gear from 30 years ago with rubber and the surrounds are still very flexible.

Robh3606
03-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Like the "rubber" that comes apart on the L3?

No it's different. I have a pair of L3 upstairs. Most of the damaged L3 woofers I have seen were all torn at the outer edge from being driven too hard. Abuse doesn't count against the longevity of the surround material. That same L3 foam is used as the surrounds in the L1, L5 and L7.

Rob:)

Slare
03-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Yes that would be the LE-14H-3. They are discontinued but if you can get a pair grab them. Rob:)

LE-14H-3 is the same woofer in the PS1400?

War, I don't know how serious you are about getting LE-14H-3's, but if you are a cost no object guy and would consider buying PS1400's for those woofers, let me know because I would be interested in the amps.

It's a longshot but figured I would toss it out there.