PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor speakers anyone ?

jblnut
08-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Just curious if anyone has any experience with outdoor speakers, JBL or otherwise. I would like to mount them on the side of the house facing down at a patio/hot tub. They will be powered by a receiver inside the house so I don't need wireless models. I am also not interested in "in ground" models either.

Thanks for any input you may have...

jblnut

boputnam
08-29-2004, 10:28 AM
I've used the Control ! in the shower room for years - the composite cone is no worse for wear. Sound is great for the scale. Looking at the current run of products, you might look at the Studio line...

JBL Home (http://www.jbl.com/home/products/categories.asp?CatId=BFS)

As well, I was impressed by some odd Bose that were survivors of poolside, wave-level positioning, and sounded quite good. Couldn't exactly tell where they were, though... :rotfl: The ones I "knew" are obsolete (= worked GREAT), but here's their outdoor line...Bose Outdoors (http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=BySqR1OCyoD21IFmAG05RMvugfaf Mpob7jm24T4DtwzM9jtuBDbE!-373760557!1879924776?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=outdoor_subcategory&pageName=/home_entertainment/outdoor_marine/index.jsp)

Audiobeer
08-29-2004, 07:28 PM
I have Niles and then sound suprisingly good. I have them spaced 16' apart under a 12 X 18' Porch. I think they were called OMNI 20s

GordonW
08-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Check out the Boston Acoustics Voyager models. We sell those where I work, and I have never seen ANYONE disappointed with those. Very ballsy and well-behaved for an outdoor speaker. Boston uses some REAL PARTS in there... film caps, etc...

Regards,
Gordon.

mikebake
08-30-2004, 08:34 AM
JBL Control 1AW (All Weather) models, very nice, supplemented with two cheap-o electronic store 10 inch powered subs. Subs are hidden; one in shrubs and other under an outdoor countertop. Subs are raised on wood bases 3 inches off ground, and covered with appropriate sized small grill covers. Has worked/sounded great for three years, subs stay out year round and still work fine.
Also use Infinity Outriggers on the other section of the deck, playing off same receiver at the same time. Sounds good.
MBB

JBL Dog
08-31-2004, 11:39 PM
I have four Control 5's that I'm getting ready put out on the patio here at the compound. Six Flags over Mid America in St. Louis primarily uses Control 5's for the park PA system. They have 'em mounted in positions that they are exposed to the weather. They sound pretty good! They look like they've been there for awhile. Some look like they have a greenish mold buildup on them. But, they still work!

:yes:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band: