PDA

View Full Version : What did I buy??

Cooljjay
03-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Well it started off as a pair of cabinets with network, tweeter and 15" woofer..home built supposedly...finally got the guy to tell me a name JBL. So I got up at 5am and took the trip. I get there and see a pair of Olympus. So I snatched them up. Get them to the car and off falls a grille..huh..Looks like a C34. Got home opened the boxes(PITA) and see its the typical 001 setup N1200, 130A and LE175. Can't seem to find this setup in this box in the library. Anyone have any info?

http://i55.tinypic.com/10qb0c0.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/14171u9.jpg

Don C
03-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I've seen another pair like this with the same sysyem installed, but the woofer was in the center. There was a huge reflex port covered with cloth on the front. It was definitely an Olympus, there was JBL paperwork with it.

Cooljjay
03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I've seen another pair like this with the same sysyem installed, but the woofer was in the center. There was a huge reflex port covered with cloth on the front. It was definitely an Olympus, there was JBL paperwork with it.

Hmm I wish I had paper work with these. I guess in the days of hifi anything could be ordered anyway you want it. These are definitely built like a JBL cabinet, grill is identical to an Olympus. The guy running the sale told me "The owner was a cabinet maker who made sound cabinets for the Doobie Bros and Greatful Dead" Well at least I know there was another strange version of the Olympus.

Krunchy
03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Cooljjay!

Well they look pretty nice, have you had a chance to hook them up yet?
The tweeter doesnt look like JBL but I could easily be wrong so dont take my word for it.
Seem like a nice find nonetheless, how far did you have to drive, 5am is pretty early.

Enjoy!

Titanium Dome
03-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Did you really get them both in the car?

Krunchy
03-05-2011, 05:40 PM
:D I was wondering the same thing.

Audiobeer
03-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Even if you don't Like the sound you have an easy $1200 Flipping material. DID I JUST SAY THAT? :banghead:

Cooljjay
03-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi Cooljjay!

Well they look pretty nice, have you had a chance to hook them up yet?
The tweeter doesnt look like JBL but I could easily be wrong so dont take my word for it.
Seem like a nice find nonetheless, how far did you have to drive, 5am is pretty early.

Enjoy!

Well I hooked them up in the garage and they sound good. For being in the garage. The tweeter is JBL. Heres a photo, I have never seen this variation of the 1217-1290 horn. Should have taken a better photo. The sale was 75miles away and started at 8am. I wanted to get in and out before anyone else knew what they were. Hes neighbor told him they are worth 700-800$. I finally got a price out of him for 250$...so I gave him that...then he says I was hoping to get more..then you should have asked for more.

http://i54.tinypic.com/sct7qx.jpg

Yep sure did one in the trunk and one in the back seat. They are pretty damn heavy. I got the one in the trunk and there was an old tattered blanket wrapped around one, I stuck it in the trunk first...figured it was trash...then the guy doing the sale came out and told me thats not included. So I had to lift it out of the trunk again.

Even if you don't Like the sound you have an easy $1200 Flipping material. DID I JUST SAY THAT? :banghead:

I know and there in lays my problem. I was hoping these would be some crappy home builts and I would flip the drivers to pay the rent. But now that I have them I like the style. But I just got a pair of Tannoy gold monitors that I really enjoy. Then if these come up stairs I have to lose a couple pieces of furniture. Someone has to be sacrificed to pay the rent but which set...

Krunchy
03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Well I hooked them up in the garage and they sound good. The tweeter is JBL. Should have taken a better photo. The sale was 75miles away and started at 8am. I wanted to get in and out before anyone else knew what they were. Hes neighbor told him they are worth 700-800$. I finally got a price out of him for 250$...so I gave him that.
But I just got a pair of Tannoy gold monitors that I really enjoy. Then if these come up stairs I have to lose a couple pieces of furniture. Someone has to be sacrificed to pay the rent but which set...
Well I think you did very well (photo looks fine on my end) and it will be a hard choice you'll have to make but congratulations nonetheless :applaud: Let us know what you wind up doing it the end.

mikebake
03-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I know and there in lays my problem. I was hoping these would be some crappy home builts and I would flip the drivers to pay the rent. But now that I have them I like the style. But I just got a pair of Tannoy gold monitors that I really enjoy. Then if these come up stairs I have to lose a couple pieces of furniture. Someone has to be sacrificed to pay the rent but which set...
You can always repurchase the Tannoys for awhile, but you'll never see another pair of your JBL's.

Cooljjay
03-05-2011, 07:29 PM
You can always repurchase the Tannoys for awhile, but you'll never see another pair of your JBL's.

Yep and truthful I can get more for the tannoy then I can for the JBL. You are right about the JBL, seeing that these were custom ordered I will never find another pair.

See this is why I say I don't know if I have good luck or bad luck. It was great that I found them but it was bad that they were better then expected and now I have to make a decision. I think tomorrow I will drag them up the stairs and see what they sound like with tube sound. Using a Sony Receiver to test highend speakers doesn't have high results.

HCSGuy
03-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Keep the ones you think sound better - there are scads of uncommon, fair sounding speakers around.

I do not think that the speakers are factory. It doesn't make sense that the factory would custom make their top of the line cabinet for an inferior load. If you look at pictures of factory Olympus', you will see that the base is different (It's narrower and black). One front panel having exposed, unpainted screws while other doesn't is also suspect. Front porting? Don't see it. I think what you have started out as an Olympus, but was rebuilt by someone with some tools - maybe it had water or smoke damage, and was rebuilt, though I have no idea why they didn't use the whole enclosure for the woofer - maybe LP storage in the empty section? Anyway, you scored some drivers. If you really like how it sounds, keep it, but if you're not in love with it, the newness will wear off and you'll be stuck with a pair of coffins in your Living Room. Keep the Tannoys, if you want any coffins I have a few...

Cooljjay
03-05-2011, 11:01 PM
One front panel having exposed, unpainted screws while other doesn't is also suspect. Front porting? Don't see it.

If you really like how it sounds, keep it, but if you're not in love with it, the newness will wear off and you'll be stuck with a pair of coffins in your Living Room. Keep the Tannoys, if you want any coffins I have a few...

Actually the screws on both are painted, just on one cabinet the screws are sunk deeper in. The cabinets are also ported, they refer to it as horn loaded. Heres a picture. I have a hard time believing they are home built.

http://i51.tinypic.com/egea6t.jpg

The thing is I really don't know if I like them better then they tannoy, I have to get them hooked up to my system and play different sorts of music through them. What I notice by playing them down in the garage is that they have a hell of a lot of bass. Really I am not a big bass person.

03-05-2011, 11:23 PM
... The cabinets are also ported, they refer to it as horn loaded. ...I have to get them hooked up to my system and play different sorts of music through them. What I notice by playing them down in the garage is that they have a hell of a lot of bass. Really I am not a big bass person.

That was my first thought when I saw the woofer off to the side, Folded Horn.

What woofer is in there? 2220?

Cooljjay
03-05-2011, 11:31 PM
That was my first thought when I saw the woofer off to the side, Folded Horn.

What woofer is in there? 2220?

Yep the horn is done way to nice to be home brew, unless what they guy running the sale said was correct and he was a custom cabinet builder.

The woofer is the typical 130A, I would think it would be something more modern.

Audiobeer
03-06-2011, 10:46 AM
The lattice Grills tell me the cabinet is factory. My initial reaction was this was home brew. But you could order these anyway you wanted in the day. Where's Harvey???? :blink:

BMWCCA
03-06-2011, 11:13 AM
If you look at pictures of factory Olympus', you will see that the base is different (It's narrower and black).No they weren't:

These look too nice for home-built and, as said above, the lattice is factory. Don't know about those L-brackets at the grille corners though. :dont-know: Older repair?

It's perfectly conceivable that someone could prefer the performance of the 130A in the folded horn to the standard S7 load, though they could probably stand a UHF transplant. I'd love to hear them. And, of course, I'd love to hear what Harvey has to say since they look to be from the vintage he would know about, or possibly earlier. :hmm:

HCSGuy
03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
OK, I thought they were orginal Olympus shells and fretwork, reworked inside and with a new base - the base could be factory, though it looks wider than factory, though the camera angle could have me fooled.

The folded horn thing totally got me, though - the thought didn't even cross my mind. Keep them and play with them - you might be able to put together something fun with a different load!

I still don't think they're factory, but the pictures from the back show that the builder really knew what he was doing. I would love to know what prompted them to gut a beautiful enclosure, though...

Cooljjay
03-06-2011, 12:01 PM
OK, I thought they were orginal Olympus shells and fretwork, reworked inside and with a new base - the base could be factory, though it looks wider than factory, though the camera angle could have me fooled.

The folded horn thing totally got me, though - the thought didn't even cross my mind. Keep them and play with them - you might be able to put together something fun with a different load!

I still don't think they're factory, but the pictures from the back show that the builder really knew what he was doing. I would love to know what prompted them to gut a beautiful enclosure, though...

Heres a couple closer photos, I don't think they were ever gutted. It looks like the mounting application of the LE175 change in 74 so these must be from 74. Its possible the boxes were bought and then someone installed the drivers. The back and front are as tight as can possible be, I had to use a rubber mallet to get them back on. I just never seen this quality in home built cabinets. I've made the decision to bring them upstairs and sell the tannoy. What I have noticed is that something bigger n better always comes along, if I don't end up liking their sound, I will find something else.

http://i52.tinypic.com/15z5po1.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/10p6g5d.jpg

Cooljjay
03-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Okay, got one up stairs to do a quick comparison. Yep I like them better then the tannoy...not only do they make the walls shake, they are a lot brighter and crisper then tannoy. They tannoy are a very mellow, light sound where as these are a crisp punch of music...okay time to haul the other one up and oil the cabinets.

subwoof
03-06-2011, 03:17 PM
The original C34 single scoop was offered in a "lowboy" version and can be found if you look through the OLD JBL catalogs on this site's library.

Yes it is a factory cabinet but the pics I have seen of other units showed the standard cloth - the latticework version you have is stupid rare.

I would rethink your marketing scheme..:)

:cheers:

Cooljjay
03-06-2011, 06:39 PM
The original C34 single scoop was offered in a "lowboy" version and can be found if you look through the OLD JBL catalogs on this site's library.

Yes it is a factory cabinet but the pics I have seen of other units showed the standard cloth - the latticework version you have is stupid rare.

I would rethink your marketing scheme..:)

:cheers:

I will look through the library for the C34 lowboy.

I thought they would be rear but didn't think Super.

Well they are now a permanent fixture of my living room..I am still in the rearrange phase..though they match my decor to a T :D

http://i53.tinypic.com/23itnbq.jpg

I will say again, I feel they beat the pants of the Tannoy. I think the cabinet adds to the sound.

BMWCCA
03-06-2011, 07:16 PM

I would rethink your marketing scheme..:)I agree they're a great find!

But aren't they sort of a C43 flopped sideways and gussied up? Or maybe a C40 Harkness dressed in Olympus clothes?

subwoof
03-06-2011, 07:20 PM
The catalog I have that shows these is in the shop, behind 12" of new SNOW so I will look later this week. look up the 4530 pro scoop for the response curves.

sub

BTW ixnay on the antplay....bad for the finish.

Cooljjay
03-06-2011, 07:28 PM
BTW ixnay on the antplay....bad for the finish.

hehe I was waiting for that to come up. Its going up stairs. But rest assure I was in the interior landscape business for a very long time. I've learned the secret on how to keep the water in the plant.

Once the snow goes away, I would love to see that catalog or get a scan. It would be nice to have some documentation to go with them.

They still sound fantastic!

Audiobeer
03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Your killing me man! Cut some glass tops for the planter!

Harvey Gerst
03-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I'd love to hear them. And, of course, I'd love to hear what Harvey has to say since they look to be from the vintage he would know about, or possibly earlier. :hmm:
Well, it looks like a home brew C40 cabinet inside an Olympus- style box. The grills are JBL, but that top isn't, nor is the C40 box inside. Amazing craftsmanship to be sure, but official JBL, it ain't.

Audiobeer
03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks Harvey! I knew the Grilles were original! :applaud: What gave away the tops? Was it the mitering not being there on the front or the lack of the ogee cut on the side pieces?

Harvey Gerst
03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
On the Olympus, there was a black 1/2" gap between the bottom of the grill and the lower part of the cabinet; these are flush-fitted to the bottom. The idea was to make grills appear to be "floating." And the top edge was kinda rolled a bit out at the end. The wiring isn't JBL standard wiring. And, of course, no JBL logos on the grills.

Cooljjay
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, it looks like a home brew C40 cabinet inside an Olympus- style box. The grills are JBL, but that top isn't, nor is the C40 box inside. Amazing craftsmanship to be sure, but official JBL, it ain't.

Well I guess your right, just checked measurements. Official JBL Olympus cabinet 27"x40"x20" and mine 28"x38"x21". They still sound pretty darn good.

Harvey Gerst
03-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Well I guess your right, just checked measurements. Official JBL Olympus cabinet 27"x40"x20" and mine 28"x38"x21". They still sound pretty darn good.
I would guess that they would. It's a great score.

Cooljjay
03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
And, of course, no JBL logos on the grills.

There is one.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2aeotg6.jpg

Harvey Gerst
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Well, I did say the grills were definitely JBL issue.

Wagner
03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Based on a pair of boxes I once owned (the way the tops are executed) and where you are located, I'd venture to say those are some of Hal Cox's cabinets.

Thomas

Harvey Gerst
03-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Based on a pair of boxes I once owned (the way the tops are executed) and where you are located, I'd venture to say those are some of Hal Cox's cabinets.
Now that's very possible. Hal did some great stuff. And Hal had enough clout with JBL to get Olympus grills as a seperate item.

Wagner
03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Keep the ones you think sound better - there are scads of uncommon, fair sounding speakers around.

I do not think that the speakers are factory. It doesn't make sense that the factory would custom make their top of the line cabinet for an inferior load. If you look at pictures of factory Olympus', you will see that the base is different (It's narrower and black). One front panel having exposed, unpainted screws while other doesn't is also suspect. Front porting? Don't see it. I think what you have started out as an Olympus, but was rebuilt by someone with some tools - maybe it had water or smoke damage, and was rebuilt, though I have no idea why they didn't use the whole enclosure for the woofer - maybe LP storage in the empty section? Anyway, you scored some drivers. If you really like how it sounds, keep it, but if you're not in love with it, the newness will wear off and you'll be stuck with a pair of coffins in your Living Room. Keep the Tannoys, if you want any coffins I have a few...

What's "inferior" about the "001"? At one time it was the top of the line home system.
I understand your remark, and from the style of grille badge it certainly wasn't the top drawer system the year that they were made.
Still, I hate it when people refer to the "001" and the 175s as the "cheap" system; all depends on the year you bought 'em.

Thomas

Wagner
03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I've owned several pairs of Hal Cox cabinets over the years, none of which ever had any sort of dampening or cabinet fill material.
Yours appear to be the same.
The top of your boxes was his style for sure, less involved though still very lovely, with the edge cuts.

Thomas

Harvey Gerst
03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Except for maybe directly behind the woofers, we (JBL) never used padding in horn loaded enclosures. No padding showing would be correct for this horn cabinet.

HCSGuy is wrong; these cabinets were built from the ground up, based on the C40 rear-loaded, folded horn design.

03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I've owned several pairs of Hal Cox cabinets over the years, none of which ever had any sort of dampening or cabinet fill material.
Yours appear to be the same.
The top of your boxes was his style for sure, less involved though still very lovely, with the edge cuts.

Thomas

Is there a discussion of Hal Cox somewhere? I must admit to being in the dark...

Cooljjay
03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Except for maybe directly behind the woofers, we (JBL) never used padding in horn loaded enclosures. No padding showing would be correct for this horn cabinet.

There is padding behind the woofer, when I removed the front board to check models I seen pink fiberglass insulation.

Harvey Gerst
03-06-2011, 10:22 PM
There is padding behind the woofer, when I removed the front board to check models I seen pink fiberglass insulation.
That would be appropriate, but we used a straw-colored insulation, not pink.

Harvey Gerst
03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Is there a discussion of Hal Cox somewhere? I must admit to being in the dark...
Hal Cox was one of the larger JBL dealers. As with many of our dealers at the time, they often built custom cabinets for their clients.

03-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Hal Cox was one of the larger JBL dealers. As with many of our dealers at the time, they often built custom cabinets for their clients.
Ahh. I do remember reading about him, now that I've re-read it. Probably among the first things I read here. My wife says his garage had more stuffed into it than mine does! (I realize that does NOT mean I can go buy something like the boxes Cooljjay just found...)

Cooljjay
03-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Ahh. I do remember reading about him, now that I've re-read it. Probably among the first things I read here. My wife says his garage had more stuffed into it than mine does! (I realize that does NOT mean I can go buy something like the boxes Cooljjay just found...)

I seen those pictures too, I would love to "clean" his garage out for him :p Did you see in the photos the paragon curved front piece? Now why would you have one of them.