PDA

View Full Version : Warning digital bass!

jarrods
08-28-2004, 05:33 PM
OK what CD's do people have/recommend that have impressive bass lines that would make Sub1500 systems earn their keep?

My Telarc 1812 CD quotes: “The initial crack of the cannon upon ignition of the powerful charge (which variously lies in the 2,000 to 3,000 Hz region) and the follow-up boom (going all the way down as low as 6Hz) represents a challenge for the recording engineers and equipment; to capture the sounds initially; to permit mastering engineers to put them to disc and not least, for the consumer to playback. WARNING! The cannons of the Telarc Digital 1812 are recorded at a very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment.

Well it would be good if the forum could help compose a list. Here is some offerings from my collection for consideration:

Pressing, Title, Musicians, Comments

Telarc Digital CD-80041 Japanese Pressing
Tchaikovsky 1812
Eroch Kunzel – Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
Good lows all tracks. Cannon blasts in 1812 are awesome!!!

Polygram 826 213-2 German pressing
Ice on Fire
Elton John
Track 2 ‘Cry to Heaven’ from about mid track. Thumps that easily rearrange the cologne bottles in my upstairs bathroom cupboard.

Virgin Records 7243 8 44762 2 9
The Velvet Rope
Janet Jackson
The recording engineer who mixed this must have done so on a pair of 2405H and he EQ’ed the bass levels up so it sounded flat. Strong bass lines all tracks, annoying over-bass in places. Track 2 Velvet Rope and 11 Together Again are extremely impressive (just ask my neighbours).

Disney 60713-7 USA Pressing?
Atlantis Soundtrack
James Newton Howard
Low music and effects on many tracks. 5. The Leviathan has some good bits.

Vertigo 514 766-2 UK Pressing. Super Bit Mapping
One The Night
Dire Straits
Bass synth on track 5 Private Investigations.

VIA 9920102 UK Pressing
Star Tracks
Yuri Honing Trio
Track 4 Walking on the Moon.

Telarc Digital CD-80146
Star Tracks II
Erich Kunzel. Cincinnati Orchestra.
Track 2. Back to the Future... how low can you go!

--------------------------

Others I have be told/read are great but never heard:

Reference Recordings RR-93CD Minnesota Orchestras ‘Copland 100’
Reference Recordings RR-96CD Minnesota Orchestra ‘Rachmaninoff ‘
Telarc CD80284 Charles Mackerras Welsh National Opera ‘Mikado’
Propellerheads "Decksdrumsandrockandroll"
Telarc CD80097: The Ruffatti Organ in Davies Symphony Hall, Michael Murray.
Phillips 412 619-2: Saint Saens Organ Symphony, San Francisco Symphony, Edo de Waart.
Dorial DOR 90117: Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition
Argo 414 420-2: Mendelssohn Organ Works, Peter Huford, organist
Reference Recording RR-59CD: Pomp and Pipes!
Reference Recording RR-S3CD: HDCD Sampler.
Sheffield Lab CD-14/20: The Sheffield Drum & Track
Warner Bros 262562-2: Bella Fleck and the Flecktones, Flight of the Cosmic Hippos.
Verve 314 517 657: Tom Grant, The View from Here. Try track 3.
Newtown NTN2210: Bass Outlaws, Illegal Bass.

Jarrod

mikebake
09-01-2004, 12:36 PM
What does L.H.F. stand for?

jim henderson
09-01-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm gonna guess "Lansing Heritage Forums" ;)

mikebake
09-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Oh, gee DUH! I get it.........................................

The Dude
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
This brings back memories.When i was young, about 6 or so i think, i first heard a proper sound system. My uncle Les built his own Hi-Fi, made a big gramaphone type cabinet and fitted it with an amp,tuner and a rather fancy turntable,which ill always remember, as the tonearm counter weight was two tiny weights on tiny pulleys, connected with thin string or thread.Variable pitch as i remember the lights running round the sides. Have a recollection he built the amp himself,and it had a little switch on the back of the cabinet he said was the "pre amp". Not as we know one,i think, it had the effect of a loudness switch, but i suppose it might have adjusted the pre amp output level (e.g. low and high). he also built his own speakers using Goodmans Tri-axel, or Tri-axom, or something similar.Full range units, 15 inch. He wrote to goodmans for designs for the cabinets, and the end result was quite large,(about 4ft tall by 3ft by 3ft), with vents on the rear. He played the 1812 overture on vinyl,not sure which recording, but i remember it had real cannons on it. It rattled the windows and doors and most of the house. I dont know if he was pulling my leg, but he said he had a bit trouble keeping the needle on the record when the cannon blasts went off,and had to keep a fair bit of weight on the tonearm to stop it skipping. Ever since then i was hooked and still am to this day. I wonder what he would make of my 4645c.....

toddalin
12-30-2008, 06:08 PM
"Cans and Brahms" on the Yes Fragile SACD. Some of the "pedal" tones are quite intense.

The Dude
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
If you can get hold of any of the "Atlantic city convention hall organ" recordings (think theres a couple of low grade ones on you tube, and the ACCHOS website),then those will give any system a good workout.Be careful though, that thing can go down to 8Hz.

DJXS.ee
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
the cannon shots on Master & Commander are supposed to have impressive bass in them.

brutal
12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Any Primus recording. :D

JBL 4645
12-31-2008, 02:32 PM
What does L.H.F. stand for?

Low Horrendous Frequency! :rotfl:

JBL 4645
12-31-2008, 02:35 PM
the cannon shots on Master & Commander are supposed to have impressive bass in them.

I like the level of action in this film plenty of cannon recoil going on at the beginning.

http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LB/552364_DV_L_B.jpghttp://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/552364_DV_L_F.jpg

Direct reading from the LFE.1 track!

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/MasterandcommanderLFE1track.jpg

jeenie67
01-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Although I do not care for your selections of pop music (we're as different as the selections of music available), your tastes in the classical genre parallel my own. I did post a SACD Columbia recording of the same exact performance that I listened to Friday evening. It not only removes parts of the "popcorn" ceiling (scared me once), but strikes me rather emotionally almost every time I load it in the disc player. You've pinned it's additional entertainment features to a Tee.

Titanium Dome
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Conjure One: Conjure One, Redemption
(album/artist/song)

jblnut
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
William Orbit "Strange Cargo III"

I'm not into Electronica per-se, but this CD is pretty cool and very listenable. It's getting a bit dated now, but it's a good one by one of the brilliant minds of this genre.

I heard bass I didn't even know the 250's could do. You know it's a low note when you have to go into the next room to hear it (something about long wavelenghts I believe).

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hifexqthldde

jblnut

hjames
01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Conjure One: Conjure One, Redemption
(album/artist/song)

That whole album has some seriously heavy beats going down ... I mean low low bass ... hard slams! I sent it via airtunes to the "L200" 3-ways, then played it on the 4341s while Emma fixed dinner - Whew!

Thanks for the heads up on that!

jerry_rig
01-14-2009, 06:58 PM
William Orbit "Strange Cargo III" jblnut

Speaking of William Orbit: he produced Madonna, which may or may not strike your musical fancy, but it tops my deep bass sample:

Madonna - Ray of Light
"The Power of Good-Bye"

Madonna - Music
"What It Feels Like For A Girl"

Enya - Enya
Multiple tracks

Gladiator soundtrack
"Now We Are Free"

Titanic soundtrack
Multiple tracks

JBL 4645
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
I have all but (Madonna – Music "What It Feels Like For A Girl") I have noticed deep low rumbling on the other tracks.

Titanic dts 5.1 CD fantastic.

lofi-ear
01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
The more experimental side of electronic music is generally very low-bass heavy.

Many ambient CD's contain frequencies below 20Hz (such as Lustmord's classic "Heresy"); then there's drum'n'bass genre which, as the name implies, has lots of bass :) (take Photek's "Modus Operandi", for example). Dub and dubstep sounds nothing without a high-quality subwoofer (Burial's debut "Burial" being good example of this genre). The tribal drums on Jhno's "Kwno" CD will destroy your loudspeakers if they were of any other brand than JBL :p Everyone must have heard Massive Attack's masterpiece "Mezzanine", and yes, that is trip-hop. Ultra-low rumbling on several tracks. Amon Tobin, the mastermind of experimental sound collages, has released many CD's that contain low bass ("Out from out where" is my favorite). Has anybody ever heard of a term "intelligent dance music" (IDM)? This term and the words "digital" "bass" go very well along. Listen to Monolake's "Interstate", to begin with, and you will believe...

There's too many to mention...

scott fitlin
01-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Emerson Lake and Palmer-Pictures at an Exhibtion! Theres this one time pedal organ note, geez, but WOW, IF your system could handle it, which not very many could, but IF your system can, IT'S WORTH waiting for!

CAUTION, THIS NOTE WILL DRIVE ANY SYSTEM TO THAT MOMENTARY PEAK THAT IS OVER THE TOP.

OH, and find yourself some REALLY REALLY GOOD CD,s of Japanese Taiko Drums, WICKED STUFF!

JBL 4645
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
What monitors are these studios using if most of these CD are self-destructive to other loudspeakers it will take hell of lot to do mine in and besides I’m not careless enough to even try and find out.

1audiohack
01-15-2009, 08:24 PM
If you don't mind country, try the Jamey Johnson disc That Long Lonesome Song. It plays as deep as any music I own.

JBL 4645
01-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Madonna “Ray of Light”

I’ve patched the lead directly into the Pioneer DV-525 DVD player (left and right outputs) rather than the usual discrete way when looking at films low end content.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/MadonnaRayofLightpart1.jpg

The second part 2 part of the waterfall shows the thunder moment in the soundtrack. Low end is recorded from 120Hz down to the lowest.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/MadonnaRayofLightpart2.jpg

toddalin
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Emerson Lake and Palmer-Pictures at an Exhibtion! Theres this one time pedal organ note, geez, but WOW, IF your system could handle it, which not very many could, but IF your system can, IT'S WORTH waiting for!

CAUTION, THIS NOTE WILL DRIVE ANY SYSTEM TO THAT MOMENTARY PEAK THAT IS OVER THE TOP.

OH, and find yourself some REALLY REALLY GOOD CD,s of Japanese Taiko Drums, WICKED STUFF!

Actually the note to which you refer is in The Old Castle and it is done on the Moog IIIC (actually happens 3-4 times during that piece). The pipe organ is used at the beginning of the piece and has little deep pedal action to it.

I was listening to both ELP and Cleveland Orchestra versions yesterday. If you listen to the original version, you will hear lots of "themes" for other parts of the "Exibition" that are used, but not credited on the ELP album. For example The Sage, credited to Lake, is actually a variation of Cum Mortiuis in Lingua Mortua which is a continuation of the VIII Movement Catacombae. Sepulchrum Romanum.

jcrobso
01-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I still have the vinyl record of the the Telarc 1812 Ovature. This record cause a lot of problems in the day because only a very few cartridges could track the cannon shots. With many cartridges the stylist would just be blow out of the groove. I had a Shure V15II at the time and didn't have that problem. I found out because of an article in Audio mag. John

JBL 4645
01-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I still have the vinyl record of the the Telarc 1812 Ovature. This record cause a lot of problems in the day because only a very few cartridges could track the cannon shots. With many cartridges the stylist would just be blow out of the groove. I had a Shure V15II at the time and didn't have that problem. I found out because of an article in Audio mag. John

I wonder how good the one on Youtube is in high quality stereo. I’ll hunt one down and place it on the spectrumlab.

JBL 4645
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Flipping heck! :blink: There are several Telarc 1812 Overtures at 7 and 15 minute running time. I’d have to run the signal from the pc to the AVR and set the AVR to sw-re-mix mode and record the low end content from 80Hz down to the lowest.

I don’t like this version it sounds too soft and wimpy like naff hamburger from Burger King.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nU96Yvk310s&fmt=18 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nU96Yvk310s&fmt=18)

I’m going to look for one that cuts to the chase I have part of this on dts 5.1 demonstration disc but not in full.

JBL 4645
01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Well if not impressed with the first few minutes its naff! :barf: Please some tell me that is taking the piss at 50Hz! I couildn't be asked to listen to the rest of I’d sooner listen to the U.S.S. Enterprise going to warp speed in Star Trek IV at the end of the film10 times! :D

1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky ( Mercury Living Presence )
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vQKZFF-9s&feature=related&fmt=18 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vQKZFF-9s&feature=related&fmt=18)

JBL 4645
01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
“Anakins’s Dark Deeds” 4’05 track 10 from (Star Wars episode 3 Revenge of the Sith 2005) Music by John Williams.

Recoded directly from the Pioneer DV-525

This had dark operatic feel to it.:D