PDA

View Full Version : 2441 diaphragm on ebay, damaged?

more10
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
JBL D16R2441 Replacement Diaphragm Driver NOS New W/Box (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-D16R2441-Replacement-Diaphragm-Driver-NOS-New-W-Box-/300530306289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9008cf1). On pictures 2 and 4 you can see a small dent in the surface. Is this acceptable?

subwoof
03-02-2011, 04:22 PM
typical of these diaphrams.

someone who doesn't know better pushes down on the dome and it buckles in. It will pop out but there is a VERY SMALL deformation on the curve which is very easy to see because of the reflection.

Does it change the sound? no.
Does it change the value? yes.

The issue here is since you know it's there, you will always imagine that it sounds different.

more10
03-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks subwoof. Makes sense.

Eaulive
03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
The issue here is since you know it's there, you will always imagine that it sounds different.

Ahhh, the mind, it does amazing things :D

03-03-2011, 12:45 AM

My 2420's both have small indentations that look suspiciously like the tip of a phillips screwdriver. I know how one of them got there, but the other was there when I got the drivers. All the times I used them for SR, I never once thought about the dents making them sound different, I just took my cue from the crowds digging the music and forgot about it. (What's the past tense of "Fageddaboutit"?)

Funny, now I use them for home audio, and I still can't hear the dents! Gotta get my hearing checked, I guess.

Allanvh5150
03-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Ask the guy who poked their finger at it....he does say new and un damaged afterall....

subwoof
03-03-2011, 06:30 AM
The screwdriver point dent on the dia is probably the most common ailment. Not too many DIY'ers have non-magnetic tools.

This damage falls under ( murphys law ) the general category of "selective gravitation"

Simply defined as:

A dropped screwdriver will land where it can do the most damage.

The very old crown manuals had a whole page of these - when I find one I will post a picture.

Eaulive
03-03-2011, 06:35 PM
The screwdriver point dent on the dia is probably the most common ailment. Not too many DIY'ers have non-magnetic tools.

This damage falls under ( murphys law ) the general category of "selective gravitation"

Simply defined as:

A dropped screwdriver will land where it can do the most damage.

The very old crown manuals had a whole page of these - when I find one I will post a picture.

It's a combination of magnetism and using an interchangeable bit screwdriver :D