PDA

View Full Version : JBL C34 speakers

jbl_daddy
02-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Picked up a pair of very old c34's today. They are loaded with 175 horn drivers and d130's on a n1200 network. Are they worth keeping.... I do not really need them.

BMWCCA
02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
No, they're garbage.
Don't even bother to listen to them.
Just send me a PM with your address and I'll be down to get them out of your way. :banghead:

Are you sure they're D130s and not 130As?

jbl_daddy
02-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Not sure on the 130's I will dig into them tomorrow after work. I did take the back off and that did not reveal much. Moved to the front and found the two screws on the bottom, once removed the grill can be raised. I removed the retaining screw and extracted the 175 with the potato masher. Looking through the hole I could see the 130, with a mirror. Tired I reassembled the speaker and went to bed. It is a very interesting folded horn design. All things aside still unsure what to do with them. Maby tomorrow I will dig deeper. Will attach pictures of their arrival.

Wagner
02-27-2011, 10:30 PM
No, they're garbage.
Don't even bother to listen to them.
Just send me a PM with your address and I'll be down to get them out of your way. :banghead:

Are you sure they're D130s and not 130As?

;)
Wish I was already back on the East Coast.
I'm trying.
Thomas

BMWCCA
02-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Not sure on the 130's I will dig into them tomorrow after work. I did take the back off and that did not reveal much. . . . It is a very interesting folded horn design.That doesn't sound like a C36.

Looking through the hole I could see the 130I suspect what you'll find is a 130A (no "D"), not a D130. Is the woofer's dust-dome aluminum or paper? You should be able to look through the grille cloth with a flashlight and tell on a C36. :dont-know:

jbl_daddy
02-28-2011, 02:08 AM
The dust caps are paper and I belive the surrounds also, this post needs pictures... I will take some when I get home from work.

grumpy
02-28-2011, 07:36 AM
That doesn't sound like a C36.

It shouldn't look like a C36 either...

Check out the thread title ;)

Harvey Gerst
02-28-2011, 10:43 AM
The dust caps are paper and I belive the surrounds also, this post needs pictures.
Then it's a real D34001 system with a 130A, not a D130. Nice.

BMWCCA
02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
It shouldn't look like a C36 either...

Check out the thread title ;)Yikes! That's what comes from a bad combination of having to work on Sunday—and old age! I swear I read C36. :banghead:

Most definitely not a D130, I'll bet. And my offer to remove the trash still goes . . . even more-so! :bouncy:

jbl_daddy
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
5023450233These are the pictures that I took sunday unloading them. I plan on pulling drivers and taking more pictures this week, I have a nasty cold and all I have done today is come home and sleep. I just f\got up to eat and now bed again. The two horns that I did pull were a light blue / grey and Lansing was in cursif.

grumpy
02-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Nice find!

BMWCCA
03-01-2011, 05:36 AM
Whoa! The Mother Load!

Now I know it's not my reading comprehension that's the problem here. Didn't you say "a pair"? Is that Photoshop or did you score three???

jbl_daddy
03-01-2011, 07:25 AM
You are correct, she had three. Two of them were in the family room and the third was in his shop. The shop one has some scratches, no dents or water damage. The n1200 crossover on the shop one is from the 60's where I belive the other two are mid 50's vintage. I even got the sae preamp in the package. Will probably use it to fire them up this weekend.

jbl_daddy
03-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Need some advise, two of there are in really nice condition but one is light and the other is dark. I do not plan on keeping them. I was toying with parting out the ugly one and stripping , lightly hand standing and finishing the two so they matched . What makes the most financial long term since for the speakers if I were only to keep them for a year or less. My wife knows about them and their life in my shop will not. Last forever. She counts the.large boxes. But I love her.

BMWCCA
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Need some advise, two of there are in really nice condition but one is light and the other is dark. I do not plan on keeping them. I was toying with parting out the ugly one and stripping , lightly hand standing and finishing the two so they matched. What makes the most financial long term since for the speakers if I were only to keep them for a year or less.I'm thinking that's a bad idea. Those are old enough to be laquer finish. The darker is probably the Walnut finish and the other is likely one of the Oaks. Or one is dark oak and the other one of the lighter oaks. Regardless, the finish is in the wood and under the lacquer and I'm not even sure the wood veneer isn't different between the several finishes offered back then. I'd enjoy them as they are and leave it to the next owner to refinish or re-veneer them as they see fit. I lived with mismatched C37s for over forty years until getting my 4345s. Their appearance seldom bothered me. :D

So get to the important part: How do you think they sound??

jbl_daddy
03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Well, to be honest they have only played for about five minutes. I was admitted to the hospital this morning because my blood sugar was 400+ and they are keeping me over night ( blurry vision, and some other things are wrong but I will be fine). I plan on listening to them when I get home, they are already placed in selective corners.
Mark

MikeBrewster77
03-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Yikes -- Get well soon!

Wagner
03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Don't fool with the finish.

Just clean them well and wax them with a good paste wax with a little pumice powder or rotten stone mixed in.

I put some wax in a tin with a couple table spoons of the abrasive and melt it together on low heat, stirring gently to get things well mixed.

Will bring that finish back like you won't believe. Will do a fine job with spider webs, cracking and crazing too.

Exercise extreme care with the Lansing logo, or avoid all together if it's not top coated.

Thomas