PDA

View Full Version : Array 880 Listening Impressions

Robh3606
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
I received it this morning and the packing was bomb proof. I will post a few pictures of the packing. The box was double wall as well.

Rob:)

Robh3606
02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Here are a couple of pictures out of the box. The flash makes it look more brown toned than it is under normal room lighting. The fit and finish on it is great! Really nice looking speaker. It's perfect fit for where I had my original Urei 811C center. Looks a whole lot nicer as well.

Robh3606
02-22-2011, 08:11 AM
I spent a good part of the day looking for music with a varied center fill to check things out. I ended up using mostly SACD and DVD-A with a couple of Blue-Ray disks to finish off. I have used a Urei 811C clone for my center channel for several years. I was always impressed by how natural vocals sounded through it. In my mind it would be a hard act to follow.

I took down the old center, set the Urei 839 EQ to flat and reset the gain to help match the efficiency of the mains. I went to plug in my speaker leads and found the 5 way binding post holes blocked. There are little black and red caps that are easily removed so you can use banana plugs with the terminals. There are 4 terminals and shorting straps so you can bi-wire if you want. Ran some pink noise and checked the levels with my SPL meter to match them up across the 3 front channels.

Dropped in a disk and started listening and was struck by how smooth it sounded. No emphasis or chestiness on male vocals. Female vocals were smooth and not strident. Percussion was fast and clean with plenty of power and snap. The clarity and definition on everything I tried was exceptional. Even really busy movie sound tracks had everything all clearly laid out and easy to hear. All in all a very nice center channel and definitely a step-up.

If you have heard one please add your thoughts.

martin_wu99
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I spent a good part of the day looking for music with a varied center fill to check things out. I ended up using mostly SACD and DVD-A with a couple of Blue-Ray disks to finish off. I have used a Urei 811C clone for my center channel for several years. I was always impressed by how natural vocals sounded through it. In my mind it would be a hard act to follow.

I took down the old center, set the Urei 839 EQ to flat and reset the gain to help match the efficiency of the mains. I went to plug in my speaker leads and found the 5 way binding post holes blocked. There are little black and red caps that are easily removed so you can use banana plugs with the terminals. There are 4 terminals and shorting straps so you can bi-wire if you want. Ran some pink noise and checked the levels with my SPL meter to match them up across the 3 front channels.

Dropped in a disk and started listening and was struck by how smooth it sounded. No emphasis or chestiness on male vocals. Female vocals were smooth and not strident. Percussion was fast and clean with plenty of power and snap. The clarity and definition on everything I tried was exceptional. Even really busy movie sound tracks had everything all clearly laid out and easy to hear. All in all a very nice center channel and definitely a step-up.

If you have heard one please add your thoughts.

Don't upset me:crying:

jbljfan
02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
50090Hi Rob,

I was playing around with my HT configuration comparing the 880’s to the 800’s for L/R mains. The 880’s won hands down and the 800’s have been moved upstairs. I don’t have much to compare the center channel to but I’m very happy with the setup.

audiomagnate
02-23-2011, 12:40 AM
My thoughts are that if your 1400 clones come close to the real thing you don't need a center channel unless you're spreading your room with off center guests during movies. The 1400s image rock solid into the center if you're in the sweet spot, and if you have guest(s) you can either plant them in your perfect spot, or let them enjoy less than perfect sound, they really don't care, you do. I'm a 4.0 advocate.

martin_wu99
02-23-2011, 12:58 AM
50090Hi Rob,

I was playing around with my HT configuration comparing the 880’s to the 800’s for L/R mains. The 880’s won hands down and the 800’s have been moved upstairs. I don’t have much to compare the center channel to but I’m very happy with the setup.
How will it sound when 880 stand up?I'm curious,perhaps it can be used as L-C-R channels:D

Robh3606
02-23-2011, 08:13 AM
My thoughts are that if your 1400 clones come close to the real thing you don't need a center channel unless you're spreading your room with off center guests during movies. The 1400s image rock solid into the center if you're in the sweet spot, and if you have guest(s) you can either plant them in your perfect spot, or let them enjoy less than perfect sound, they really don't care, you do. I'm a 4.0 advocate.
My

Hello Audiomagnate

My 1400 clones are not in my HT set-up. They are in a stand alone 2 channel set-up. My mains in the HT system also image very well but that is independent for the need of a center channel in the set-up. I remember 4.0/Quad from way back when and it never worked for me. Could have been the limitations of the media and decoders available at that time. Any material mastered today is formated specifically for the use of a center channel and not using one imposes another set of avoidable compromises. If you want to start a thread about the merits of using or not using a center channel in a surround set-up please do.

Mr. Widget
02-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm a 4.0 advocate.Maybe if we had a clever name for it... how about quadrophonic sound? I bet that might just take off. :D

Widget

yggdrasil
02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Very nice Rob. I guess it's time to enjoy!

audiomagnate
02-23-2011, 11:14 PM
That looks like zebrawood. Absolutely gorgeous. It's amazing that they would hide that behind a grille cloth.

jblnut
02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Wow, those look really, really nice! Wish I had room for something like that in my HT setup...

jblnut

Hoerninger
02-24-2011, 09:53 AM
4.0 advocate

... how about quadrophonic sound?
Widget
There is a difference in speaker placement. Nowadays for music this placement is often recommended, not equally distributed in four corners.

For music all speakers (L, C, R, SL, SR) are recommended as the same fullrange type.
According to my experience the center may be omitted if L and R have good imaging. (Don't forget to adjust the DVD player :) )
Use a sub for music if adequate.

... if you're in the sweet spot, and if you have guest(s) you can either plant them in your perfect spot, or let them enjoy less than perfect sound, they really don't care, you do.
Fully ack.

audiomagnate
02-24-2011, 11:19 PM
4.0 advocate

There is a difference in speaker placement. Nowadays for music this placement is often recommended, not equally distributed in four corners.

For music all speakers (L, C, R, SL, SR) are recommended as the same fullrange type.
According to my experience the center may be omitted if L and R have good imaging. (Don't forget to adjust the DVD player :) )
Use a sub for music if adequate.

Fully ack.

So the guy in the center is a horer. That means my ex was right! That's what I was saying. Dolby phantom works for me, and the centers I've tired out fail miserably in comparison to my mains. Centers help keep the dialog in the center of the screen if you're off center, but if you're in the sweet spot, they are superfluous. At least for me. For a "real" HT you need one, and that 880 is freakin' amazing, but the people that watch movies here don't really care that much, and if I want to impress them, I plop them down in the sweet spot. If I get a bigger place and some friends I'll go 5.0 or maybe even 7.0.

gferrell
02-25-2011, 04:54 PM
So the guy in the center is a horer. That means my ex was right! That's what I was saying. Dolby phantom works for me, and the centers I've tired out fail miserably in comparison to my mains. Centers help keep the dialog in the center of the screen if you're off center, but if you're in the sweet spot, they are superfluous. At least for me. For a "real" HT you need one, and that 880 is freakin' amazing, but the people that watch movies here don't really care that much, and if I want to impress them, I plop them down in the sweet spot. If I get a bigger place and some friends I'll go 5.0 or maybe even 7.0.

Sounds like you need to go out and make some friends!! lol I bet Horer has plenty maybe he will share!

audiomagnate
02-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you need to go out and make some friends!! lol I bet Horer has plenty maybe he will share!

I have friends, but only one who cares about sound, so when he stops by I surrender the sweet spot and pace around like a penguin dad that can't find his egg. I also have kids, and they refuse to put their laptops away when they watch a movie with me. The older one, 16, even tries to keep one earbud in until I spot it! What is this world coming to? I'm just saying 4.0 works for me because I'm the only one that gives a s"""!

I have this demo scene from Inglorious Basterds Blu-ray with the David Bowie song that I played for my son today. He was pissed that I made him get off the couch, and even more pissed when I told him he had to leave his laptop behind and LISTEN. He said, "Dad, I've seen this movie a hundred times." I said where?" "Bit torrent"

That said, the 880 has to be the most beautiful center channel speaker on the planet, and if it sounds anything like the Array 1400, it has to be the most beautiful sounding center channel on the planet.

Titanium Dome
02-28-2011, 09:34 AM
the 880 has to be the most beautiful center channel speaker on the planet, and if it sounds anything like the Array 1400, it has to be the most beautiful sounding center channel on the planet.

I'd agree its cabinet is prettier than the PC600, but I'd want to hear it in the same room before agreeing to your second point. As much as I love the Array horns, I still like the inverted Ti dome midrange and Ti dome tweeter a lot. I got some supporting opinions from LH and AVS members at my house for the meet this weekend who drooled on then ate up the Arrays in the HT but in turn liked the Performance Series better for music.

Of course my HT center is not an Array 880 with its smaller horns, it's a SAM1HF/SAM2LF . The 880 might actually be more "musical"--wouldn't surprise me at all.

KCM
02-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I'd agree its cabinet is prettier than the PC600, but I'd want to hear it in the same room before agreeing to your second point. As much as I love the Array horns, I still like the inverted Ti dome midrange and Ti dome tweeter a lot. I got some supporting opinions from LH and AVS members at my house for the meet this weekend who drooled on then ate up the Arrays in the HT but in turn liked the Performance Series better for music.

Of course my HT center is not an Array 880 with its smaller horns, it's a SAM1HF/SAM2LF . The 880 might actually be more "musical"--wouldn't surprise me at all.

So I should quit lusting after the 800 Array and keep enjoying my new PS PT800/PS1400's ? :hmm:

Titanium Dome
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
So I should quit lusting after the 800 Array and keep enjoying my new PS PT800/PS1400's ? :hmm:

I've seen it written (by 4313B IIRC) that the 800 Array plus a good sub is quite a nice package. Of course, you'd need a sub for each 800 Array to make this an effective comparison to PT800/PS1400 stacks.

Since I've got the SAMs, I didn't jump for the 800 Arrays when the opportunity presented (nor am I jumping now), and I don't know what I'd do with them if I did have them. They certainly would not supplant my Performance stacks, as I'd need five 800 Arrays and four subs to get the same full range surround power. Maybe mate them to PS1400s? Nah.

At that point, I might as well get 1400 Arrays with the full size horns. :) Thus, it would never end.

tom1040
02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
It never does really end, does it? (talking 'upgraditis'):blink:

KCM
02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I've seen it written (by 4313B IIRC) that the 800 Array plus a good sub is quite a nice package. Of course, you'd need a sub for each 800 Array to make this an effective comparison to PT800/PS1400 stacks.

Since I've got the SAMs, I didn't jump for the 800 Arrays when the opportunity presented (nor am I jumping now), and I don't know what I'd do with them if I did have them. They certainly would not supplant my Performance stacks, as I'd need five 800 Arrays and four subs to get the same full range surround power. Maybe mate them to PS1400s? Nah.

At that point, I might as well get 1400 Arrays with the full size horns. :) Thus, it would never end.

Well, I do have the PS1400's of course. Plus a Vandersteen sub to augment a bit more, if desired.

What I don't know is what, if anything, the larger compression driver brings to the 1400 vs. the smaller one in the 800.....

Robh3606
02-28-2011, 05:35 PM
It never does really end, does it? (talking 'upgraditis'):blink:

Of course it does unless you have unlimited finances or some kind of obsession. You just end up chasing your own tail after a while. The the higher up the chain you go the more expensive it is to get less and less improvement at substantially higher cost. Me I am done even if bigger and better comes along. Your not happy with what you have?

Titanium Dome
02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Me I am done even if bigger and better comes along.

I'd call you a liar, but then you'd just argue your way out of it. After all, I'm "done" too.

gferrell
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
We are all done until that collectible comes up on c-list for cheap!

Titanium Dome
02-28-2011, 07:38 PM
We are all done until that collectible comes up on c-list for cheap!

I just went to the Tarzana iSoldIt and picked up another HTPS400. Why? :dont-know: It was cheap. It was (kind of) close. It fascinates me.

Heck, if there were an 880 Array there I would have gotten that, too. For me, I think upgraditis runs in both directions. I just got a 2431H for next to nothing, so maybe I'll make a clone of Rob's clones with my 045Be and the spare SAM horn, then stick that on top of a box with the HTI88 dual 8" drivers :screwy: instead of an 880 Array.

--------------------------

However, I have sold four speakers in the last month. :o:

Mr. Widget
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
For me, I think upgraditis runs in both directions. I just got a 2431H for next to nothing, so maybe I'll make a clone of Rob's clones with my 045Be and the spare SAM horn, then stick that on top of a box with the HTI88 dual 8" drivers :screwy: instead of an 880 Array.Now this is the proper upgrade path: The 045Be, 435Be on a great horn, and a pair of killer 10" woofers!

Widget

Titanium Dome
02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Now this is the proper upgrade path: The 045Be, 435Be on a great horn, and a pair of killer 10" woofers!

Widget

That would fit nicely between the K2s I suppose. :hmm:

It's good to see you posting a little more. :)

mikebake
03-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Man, that thing might be cool in a pair as bedroom speakers!

4313B
03-01-2011, 06:45 AM
It looks nice but unfortunately it's way too expensive for something made outside the U.S.A.

Let's get real, if manufacturers are going to shamelessly exploit low cost labor then we consumers want in on the action too. :barf:

tom1040
03-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Of course it does unless you have unlimited finances or some kind of obsession. You just end up chasing your own tail after a while. The the higher up the chain you go the more expensive it is to get less and less improvement at substantially higher cost. Me I am done even if bigger and better comes along. Your not happy with what you have?

Hi Rob,

Actually I am very happy with what I have. As a matter of fact, I may be done. The Pair of Marantz monoblock amps have taken me by surprise on how they handle the 1400 Arrays. I wasn't really expecting that much of an performance enhancement over the McIntosh MC402. I am, in fact, delighted with the choice I made.:)

martin_wu99
03-02-2011, 12:42 AM
It looks nice but unfortunately it's way too expensive for something made outside the U.S.A.

Let's get real, if manufacturers are going to shamelessly exploit low cost labor then we consumers want in on the action too. :barf:

Then,which one is the best JBL center speaker?:dont-know:

pos
03-02-2011, 12:56 AM
The one that is the most similar to your mains and fits the situation (under a TV, behind a perforated screen, etc...)

martin_wu99
03-02-2011, 01:44 AM
The one that is the most similar to your mains and fits the situation (under a TV, behind a perforated screen, etc...)
Not the most fitable,but the best one?:confused:

pos
03-02-2011, 02:44 AM
It depends on the situation! If you have a perforated screen and want to use your center channel behind it then you need to take the HF reduction into account, and If you have a TV screen and must fit the center under it then you also have to take that into account.
There is no such "best speaker" in any case: every design is a compromise and room and setup is part of the equation.

But ok, let's say you don't have a screen of any specific constraint, the best center channel would be identical to your mains. So the best center channel would be the best main speaker :D

audiomagnate
03-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Then,which one is the best JBL center speaker?:dont-know:

It's never over. I'm having one custom made. It's a disease.

martin_wu99
03-02-2011, 10:07 AM
It depends on the situation! If you have a perforated screen and want to use your center channel behind it then you need to take the HF reduction into account, and If you have a TV screen and must fit the center under it then you also have to take that into account.
There is no such "best speaker" in any case: every design is a compromise and room and setup is part of the equation.

But ok, let's say you don't have a screen of any specific constraint, the best center channel would be identical to your mains. So the best center channel would be the best main speaker :D
Pos,you got the point:DI just mean which one is better,880 or 3300:dont-know:
The best for me is 4612B:applaud:

martin_wu99
03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
It's never over. I'm having one custom made. It's a disease.
Sure thing,searching the best one is a spread disease for HIFIer:banghead:

audiomagnate
03-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Sure thing,searching the best one is a spread disease for HIFIer:banghead:

I have absolutely no idea what that means, but I will figure out a way to play with these drivers.

martin_wu99
03-05-2011, 04:24 AM
I have absolutely no idea what that means, but I will figure out a way to play with these drivers.

Then how to get these rare expensive dudes is quite a question:dont-know:

Titanium Dome
03-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes, Martin, the more you search for the best one, the more the disease takes hold of you. I've tried to draw the line that means, "This is it. I'm there. There's nothing else to look for. I'm done."

That lasts for a few days or a few weeks, then the fever starts to build again, and I think about what I need next... and the disease breaks out again.

Titanium Dome
03-05-2011, 10:43 AM
There are different ways to arrive at "the best." For center speakers I think these are the top two considerations. Some people might have others that matter more to them.

1) which center speaker sounds better than any other center speaker, or
2) which center sounds the best when integrated into a system.

The first one ends up being subjective. It depends on what you like.

The second is relative to what you have in your system. Normally the answer will be a speaker identical to your left front and right front, placed at the same height and distances. I've got this in my Synthesis® One Array system, and the system is seamless across the front.

For those who can't do this, then the issue of purpose built centers comes into play, and in the realm of direct radiators, none I've heard is better than the PC600. This subjective and previously unsubstantiated conclusion was validated for me by Grumpy, whether he intended to or not. When we were measuring drivers for the PT250 project (still slowly gestating BTW) we discovered that the FR of the 906Ti driver was a virtual overlay of the 908Ti from about 84Hz on up. This negated my thinking that squeezing the 906Ti into the project would somehow enhance it a la Revel Ultima2 Salon style. This confirmed in actual measurement that JBL's claim of the PC600 and PT800 being virtual replacements for each other was in fact grounded in reality.

In my Performance Series 5.1 music system, I still use the PC600 as a center rather than another PT800, even though I've got six of them not currently in use. Since there's no video in this system, I can elevate it to match the PT800s. As I wrote above, I've never heard another purpose built center that was more perfectly integrated into system.

martin_wu99
03-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Yes, Martin, the more you search for the best one, the more the disease takes hold of you. I've tried to draw the line that means, "This is it. I'm there. There's nothing else to look for. I'm done."

That lasts for a few days or a few weeks, then the fever starts to build again, and I think about what I need next... and the disease breaks out again.
In China,we call it 发烧友(feverer). :eek:
It's a kind of disease indeed:crying:

martin_wu99
03-07-2011, 01:08 AM
There are different ways to arrive at "the best." For center speakers I think these are the top two considerations. Some people might have others that matter more to them.

1) which center speaker sounds better than any other center speaker, or
2) which center sounds the best when integrated into a system.

The first one ends up being subjective. It depends on what you like.

The second is relative to what you have in your system. Normally the answer will be a speaker identical to your left front and right front, placed at the same height and distances. I've got this in my Synthesis® One Array system, and the system is seamless across the front.

For those who can't do this, then the issue of purpose built centers comes into play, and in the realm of direct radiators, none I've heard is better than the PC600. This subjective and previously unsubstantiated conclusion was validated for me by Grumpy, whether he intended to or not. When we were measuring drivers for the PT250 project (still slowly gestating BTW) we discovered that the FR of the 906Ti driver was a virtual overlay of the 908Ti from about 84Hz on up. This negated my thinking that squeezing the 906Ti into the project would somehow enhance it a la Revel Ultima2 Salon style. This confirmed in actual measurement that JBL's claim of the PC600 and PT800 being virtual replacements for each other was in fact grounded in reality.

In my Performance Series 5.1 music system, I still use the PC600 as a center rather than another PT800, even though I've got six of them not currently in use. Since there's no video in this system, I can elevate it to match the PT800s. As I wrote above, I've never heard another purpose built center that was more perfectly integrated into system.
Dome,i have to agree with you ,the most suitable center speaker for your HT system is the best center speaker for you.

appdevman
02-07-2014, 12:22 PM
What stands are available for the 880 center?
I dont mount my TV on the wall.
Its the usual situation, where the height of center would raise into the tv viewing area because the tv's stand is only so high.
I have no problem doing what most do, getting the stand to go right in from of the system.
I googled it, but get no results.
Does JBL make one, or is it 3rd party mfrs?

If someone could provide some links that would be great.

thanks!

rdgrimes
02-07-2014, 01:31 PM
It depends on the height you require. I use one of THESE (http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-NFC18B-Natural-Foundations/dp/B001I70XZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391804971&sr=8-1&keywords=center+speaker+stand) for a different situation, but they're intended for centers with the larger top plate.

Also this one (http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-SFC18-Foundations-Speakers/dp/B004X2ZSBM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1391805178&sr=8-13&keywords=center+speaker+stand).

appdevman
02-07-2014, 05:27 PM
It depends on the height you require. I use one of THESE (http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-NFC18B-Natural-Foundations/dp/B001I70XZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391804971&sr=8-1&keywords=center+speaker+stand) for a different situation, but they're intended for centers with the larger top plate.

Also this one (http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-SFC18-Foundations-Speakers/dp/B004X2ZSBM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1391805178&sr=8-13&keywords=center+speaker+stand).

Yup thats what I'm looking for. So these will work with the 880, cool. Thx much.

rdgrimes
02-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Yup thats what I'm looking for. So these will work with the 880, cool. Thx much.

The steel (http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-SFC18-Foundations-Speakers/dp/B004X2ZSBM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1391805178&sr=8-13&keywords=center+speaker+stand) model is rated for 35# but can easily hold twice that. I use it for L112 and the like.

Amazon isn't a great place to shop the Sanus stands, go directly to their site (http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/speaker-stands/). The center style comes in 18 or 22".