PDA

View Full Version : Possible crossover work needed on L300.

Doc Mark
02-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Greetings, Friends,

Been a while since I've been around much, but Sweet Bride and I have continued to love our L300's every single day! However, around Christmas time, I noticed that, when playing them at a soft volume, one speaker seemed to get "fuzzy" sounding. If I turned up the volume, that odd fuzz went away, and the speaker played normally. I swapped the speakers around, and that seemed to work fine for a while. Then, the abnormal sound returned, in the same speaker. Again, raising the volume makes the aural oddity go away, and both speakers can play super loud, with no distortion or extraneous noises. It's only when the volume is turned down, and soft music is playing, that the fuzzy noise returns on that one speaker, only.

I'm thinking a possible cold solder join in the crossover. What do you think? Any ideas, or suggestions, will be gratefully appreciated. If there is something major happening with that one speaker, then I'll probably do whatever is necessary, to both of them, just to obviate any possibilities of this happening again at some time in the future. Thanks, in advance, for any comments or suggestions you can offer, and as always, God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Had similar problem ... it was the gain control pot on the preamp

Doc Mark
02-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Hey, SeaWolf,

Thanks, very much, for your comment on this. I thought that might be the problem, too. After I switched the right speaker cable with the left speaker cable, the problem followed the cable. So, I think you might be right. My Harman Kardon AVR 20 might be showing it's age. As I think it's a digital pot, I'm not sure that pot cleaning spray will help, but I'll give it a try, if possible. I have an Harman Kardon HK825 Preamp that I can substitute, as I'm not using the amp in the receiver, but rather an HK870 amp. The 825 has a small problem, too, in that it takes a bit of time to warm up, before it comes on. But, once it's warm, it works like a champ. Thanks, again, for your comment, and I will see how all this goes, once I get into the receiver. Don't have a good HK repair/service facility near us, that I trust, so I may have to get something new. Is the new HK stuff even worth considering? I've loved my older HK goodies, but it might be time to begin replacing a few of them. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark

Rolf
02-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Hi Doc! Long time since you posted. Welcome back. Besides your amp problems, I will recommend that you get new CC coupled networks made and installed in your L300's. THAT will give you a much smoother delicate and accurate sound so you will enjoy them even more.:)

Doc Mark
02-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Hello, Rolf!

Great to hear from you, my Friend! Many thanks for the thoughts on redoing our L300 crossovers. I think that's probably a good idea, and will have to look into it, for sure. I know there is info here on the LH forum about doing such a thing, and might be willing to give it a go. I know that those who created these CC'ed crossovers are super busy doing it, so if it is to be done, it will probably fall to me. As always, time is something I do not have in an abundance. But, I'm willing to check into it, and see what such a task entails. Thanks, very much, for the suggestion. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
02-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Greetings, All,

Just a tip o' the hat to 4313B for his great information on L300 crossovers, both stock equivalent, and cc'ed!! A bit of searching about brought that fine into to hand, once again. This site is a goldmine of great information, and I sincerely thank 4313B, and all others that have shared their knowledge and research with all forum members!! MUCH appreciated! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc