PDA

View Full Version : NOS JBL - What would YOU do?

ragdolll
02-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Hi all, I was looking for some advice and I think this might be the right forum for it.
Hypothetically speaking, lets assume someone came across a few containers worth of NOS JBL parts and some speakers. They, in all probability would have been stored for the last few decades in a humidity controlled warehouse.

This lot may or may not include a pair eace of 4410A and 4430 NOS BNIB, multiple pieces of 2220H, 2225J,2226j,2402, 2426H, 2427J, many controls, all the way to a few pairs of LSR25Ps.

Assuming it happened, and said 'someone' was trying to find the best way to deal with the goods AND he wasn't based in the US but rather somewhere in Asia, would you.

1. look for a liquidator in the US, someone to buy the whole load off you
2. Attempt to find someone in Japan to buy the whole lot
3. Start an ebay shop to sell,
4. Any other suggestions?

Given this hypothetical situation, would anyone have any advice as to how one might approach the situation?

Any advice much appreciated.

:)

Rolf
02-18-2011, 01:25 AM
:blink:

richluvsound
02-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Hi there,

I would keep it in Asia. There is nothing that special in the description . The items you have would have too much competition in the US to make it worth the shipping and duty charges.

Most of the items are for Pro applications. I would think about shipping to Africa or China, even Brazil.

Good luck , Rich

Lee in Montreal
02-18-2011, 05:10 AM
I would assume that perhaps the "white van scam" has been replaced by a "white container scam" and that the parts are probably counterfeit parts, if they even exist. ;)

About the "white van scam" for those who don't know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

Oldmics
02-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Please Sir

I send you check for twice the amount requested. :D

You then cash check and send me extra funds packaged in container with parts.

I makee it worfth your while.

Thank You sirs.

I await your rapid response.

Oldmics-(Nigerian version)

mikebake
02-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Good one..........

Lee in Montreal
02-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Assuming the poster is hypothetically a scammer as it pretty much hypothetically looks like an hypothetical scam...:applaud:

Maron Horonzakz
02-18-2011, 08:58 AM
I would suspect it was stolen property..

ragdolll
02-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Ah yes , the internet doesn't do much to foster a sense of trust in your fellow man I suppose. Whats with all the mistrust mates? :) im not asking you to buy anything.

well, just to clarify, no:) they aren't in containers yet, just in warehouses.
and the warehouses aren't white and are not really mobile.
There are a whole bunch of spare parts and some gems. Like a crown reference 1, and old Ureis. Which have been seconded.

The 4430s are really BNIB. still packed. Big buggers they are.

Im just not too sure what to do with them. I have seen some drivers, and some woofers on Ebay. So I assume they are of value to some people.

Is there any place where people would be interested in a whole buncha JBL spare parts?

hjames
02-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Ah yes , the internet doesn't do much to foster a sense of trust in your fellow man I suppose. Whats with all the mistrust mates? :) im not asking you to buy anything.

There are a whole bunch of spare parts and some gems. Like a crown reference 1, and old Ureis. Which have been seconded.

Im just not too sure what to do with them. I have seen some drivers, and some woofers on Ebay. So I assume they are of value to some people.

Is there any place where people would be interested in a whole buncha JBL spare parts?
Pretty sure a number of folks here have sold stuff into the Asian market - seems to be a lot of collectors over there ... lot of shops too!
Why not try local sales first?
Seems shipping fees stateside would eat your profit margin!

Titanium Dome
02-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Yes, the eastern Asian market is the right one since that's where the goods may be. It wouldn't make any sense at all to move them out of Asia.

Of course, "Asia" is a somewhat generic term geographically. Japan? Korea? China? Hong Kong? Turkey? India? Russia? Iran?

mech986
02-18-2011, 09:50 AM
We have members in Australia and NZ among other parts of Asia and I'm confident they would be interested in JBL spares and speakers, assuming they haven't been washed away in all the floods.

You best bets though would be countries with known collectors or improving economies where spending is good. Got any hypothetical pics of anything?

Allanvh5150
02-18-2011, 12:41 PM
No floods here, only earthquakes!

Wagner
02-18-2011, 04:44 PM

Ah sooooo.

The Old Hypothetical Asian Warehouse Full of NOS JBL Conundrum. What to do with it all! :dont-know:

Interesting, very interesting indeed.

Thomas

Wagner
02-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi all, I was looking for some advice and I think this might be the right forum for it.
Hypothetically speaking, lets assume someone came across a few containers worth of NOS JBL parts and some speakers. They, in all probability would have been stored for the last few decades in a humidity controlled warehouse.

This lot may or may not include a pair eace of 4410A and 4430 NOS BNIB, multiple pieces of 2220H, 2225J,2226j,2402, 2426H, 2427J, many controls, all the way to a few pairs of LSR25Ps.

Assuming it happened, and said 'someone' was trying to find the best way to deal with the goods AND he wasn't based in the US but rather somewhere in Asia, would you.

1. look for a liquidator in the US, someone to buy the whole load off you
2. Attempt to find someone in Japan to buy the whole lot
3. Start an ebay shop to sell,
4. Any other suggestions?

Given this hypothetical situation, would anyone have any advice as to how one might approach the situation?

Any advice much appreciated.

Have you thought about discussing your hypothetical proposition with the Taliban?

I hear they're in the market for some good tunes and they'll even pay you in goats if you like (keeps the tax and customs folks out of things).

Hypothetically speaking of course.

Thomas

ragdolll
02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Ok , I did bring along a page with Menos camer written on it but i forgot to include with the photos.

hmm max attached photos is 3?

audiomagnate
02-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Got any hypothetical pics of anything?

Hmmm, hypothetically speaking, that stuff looks real.

ragdolll
02-18-2011, 07:13 PM
So, for your viewing pleasure :) scraped knees, a nasty bruise and lots of dust.

Im having fun.

and I found another pair of 4430s. but these have been opened and reboxed . but needs to be refoamed

so, any more ideas?

Bottom line, I aint trolling. Im a hifi guy, I run a full conrad johnson system with audio physics. I dont know the pro audio business.

still, an opportunity is an opportunity.

Im hoping this forum can help me get some ideas as to how to best handle it.

Thank you

audiomagnate
02-18-2011, 07:26 PM
The plot thickens... He's calling us "mates," he must be an Aussie.

JeffW
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
You've got a lot of stuff there, but I bet a lot more than just the 4430s will need refoamed. Some of the cone kits (C8R2245H for example) have foam surrounds that probably aren't in any better shape. A new 2245 cone kit will bring a couple hundred bucks, but that's with pristine foam. Putting new foam on it wouldn't bother some guys, to other guys it'd be a deal breaker.

If you're going to make the big bucks off this stuff, a full inventory with pics and an eBay store would be a start. If you wanted to invest some elbow grease, you could do pretty good in the Asian market I bet.

That Altec Lansing 904-8A is the control to a coaxial Altec driver, nice price just for the driver/control. If there's a pair in nice cabs, you could be looking at some $$ in the Asian market. There's a list of lots of JBL crossovers.

Lee in Montreal
02-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Bottom line, I aint trolling.

So far all I have seen is a pile of boxes. If you want to offer anything for sale, boxes will need to be opened, and each part will need a couple of pictures. NOS 2225h from the 1980s might not be in perfect condition 25 years later. Heat, moisture, or just time, can have detrimental effects on components. Basically, before getting any cash sent your way, on top of pictures, people will also require credentials. Like at least a forum where you have made a few sales and feedback are 100%.

Wagner
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
So, for your viewing pleasure :) scraped knees, a nasty bruise and lots of dust.

Im having fun.

and I found another pair of 4430s. but these have been opened and reboxed . but needs to be refoamed

so, any more ideas?

Bottom line, I aint trolling. Im a hifi guy, I run a full conrad johnson system with audio physics. I dont know the pro audio business.

still, an opportunity is an opportunity.

Im hoping this forum can help me get some ideas as to how to best handle it.

Thank you

After all that effort why no shots of the open boxes so all interested can see all that bad foam?

No money shots?

Eternally skeptical,

Thomas

Wagner
02-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Hmmm, hypothetically speaking, that stuff looks real.

You are right, I see real JBL cardboard boxes, a few made in china computer minis and a shot of an Altec network.

CONTEXT BABY, GIVE US SOME CONTEXT!

Mister Mysterious Hypothetical Asian Poster Man!

(with the full C-J and Audio Physics rig)

Thomas

ragdolll
02-19-2011, 01:38 AM
After all that effort why no shots of the open boxes so all interested can see all that bad foam?

No money shots?

Eternally skeptical,

Thomas

always glad to oblige.

this is from the open 4430

ragdolll
02-19-2011, 02:17 AM
So far all I have seen is a pile of boxes. If you want to offer anything for sale, boxes will need to be opened, and each part will need a couple of pictures. NOS 2225h from the 1980s might not be in perfect condition 25 years later. Heat, moisture, or just time, can have detrimental effects on components. Basically, before getting any cash sent your way, on top of pictures, people will also require credentials. Like at least a forum where you have made a few sales and feedback are 100%.

First off :) thank you for the kid gloves as far as the 'lets initiate the newbie' is concerned.

Its nice to see a friendly mature forum. I understand the questions. and I've been around the 'web' block a few times myself this is quite refreshing. It is actually quite a buzz to be able to create a situation where it does sound too good to be true and it actually is :) How rare is that? :) of course, some skeptics would still have their say. its cool.

Im not really selling with my posting here. I am honestly asking for advice. Of course if anyone is specifically looking for any parts, I am happy to make something happen.

I know what it takes to set up an ebay shop to sell, question is whether it would be worth it.

The photos represent less than 5% of what is available. Its all numbers and boxes which dont mean anything to me. My JBL list has over 10k items.

I am not out to convince anybody actually, I dont really need to move the stuff, and am happy to leave em there and move em slowly. However, there is a possibility that managment might just decide that it might be more worthwhile to clear up the space.

Fact is, if i can find someone to take 2 containers off my hands , I would be happy. I'm pretty sure that one would be hard pressed to find another lot like this anywhere else in the world.

So, if theres a community to whom this stuff would mean something to, I would like a way to move the stuff out rather than write them off.

Yes, its mysterious

Wagner
02-19-2011, 09:06 AM
First off :) thank you for the kid gloves as far as the 'lets initiate the newbie' is concerned.

Its nice to see a friendly mature forum. I understand the questions. and I've been around the 'web' block a few times myself this is quite refreshing. It is actually quite a buzz to be able to create a situation where it does sound too good to be true and it actually is :) How rare is that? :) of course, some skeptics would still have their say. its cool.

Im not really selling with my posting here. I am honestly asking for advice. Of course if anyone is specifically looking for any parts, I am happy to make something happen.

I know what it takes to set up an ebay shop to sell, question is whether it would be worth it.

The photos represent less than 5% of what is available. Its all numbers and boxes which dont mean anything to me. My JBL list has over 10k items.

I am not out to convince anybody actually, I dont really need to move the stuff, and am happy to leave em there and move em slowly. However, there is a possibility that managment might just decide that it might be more worthwhile to clear up the space.

Fact is, if i can find someone to take 2 containers off my hands , I would be happy. I'm pretty sure that one would be hard pressed to find another lot like this anywhere else in the world.

So, if theres a community to whom this stuff would mean something to, I would like a way to move the stuff out rather than write them off.

Yes, its mysterious

More chum will be needed before I'll bite.
Still waiting to see all the NOS.
No one can advise you without a little bit more to go on.
But I think you already knew that.
I also think you just might be working the wrong crowd here.
Just a feeling.
I may be wrong, but I don't think so. If I am then I'll stand corrected.
I like the "I just need your help 'cause I really don't know what it is I've got here" approach,
(seems all the bankers, barristers and CEOs just need a little of my help to make all their (our) dreams come true)
The ones that email me regularly anyway
You obviously have internet access.
Good luck with your efforts.

Thomas

Mr. Widget
02-19-2011, 09:49 AM
The photos represent less than 5% of what is available. Its all numbers and boxes which dont mean anything to me. My JBL list has over 10k items. It would appear you are referring to some dealer's or importer's warehouse that represents many years of accumulated product... unfortunately as has been mentioned, much of it will have to be repaired even if it is in sealed boxes as this stuff is decades old and some components simply rot. Since you are not being completely forthcoming, I'll assume you do not actually own this gear and are trying to broker a sale between who ever does own it and a possible new owner without actually putting your money down up front... a potentially lucrative gig if you pull it off, however, I think it is a long shot. You'd probably be better off being totally straight with the details and try to set up a commission deal with the actual owner(s).

Just my 2 cents... good luck.

Widget

PS: If there actually is a stash of 10K line items, an Indiana Jones warehouse shot would be fun to see.

Wagner
02-19-2011, 10:14 AM
It would appear you are referring to some dealer's or importer's warehouse that represents many years of accumulated product... unfortunately as has been mentioned, much of it will have to be repaired even if it is in sealed boxes as this stuff is decades old and some components simply rot. Since you are not being completely forthcoming, I'll assume you do not actually own this gear and are trying to broker a sale between who ever does own it and a possible new owner without actually putting your money down up front... a potentially lucrative gig if you pull it off, however, I think it is a long shot. You'd probably be better off being totally straight with the details and try to set up a commission deal with the actual owner(s).

Just my 2 cents... good luck.

Widget

PS: If there actually is a stash of 10K line items, an Indiana Jones warehouse shot would be fun to see.

You are a very nice man.

grumpy
02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Show us the DX-1 pile :) :duck:

toddalin
02-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Well if you have any 2405 or 077 diaphragms, or any 2410, LE-175, 2420, 2421, or LE-85 diaphragms, I would be interested. Can you give me a cost shipped to 92705?

Thanks

Rolf
02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I still is here.:blink: Tell us where this stuff is located, and how you are an owner. I don't know if diaphragms for the HF or UHF drivers is affected by time, when not in use. These are aluminum and should be OK? Regarding all LF drivers with foam, they are not usable after a so long time.

Lee in Montreal
02-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Asia, unlike Arizona, is extremely damp and we all know what moisture can do in 20 years of unconditionned storage. I am very curious about the condition of items. :eek: The 4430 that was photographed is in poor condition. How come the suspension is damaged this way?

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Asia, unlike Arizona, is extremely damp and we all know what moisture can do in 20 years of unconditionned storage. I am very curious about the condition of items. :eek: The 4430 that was photographed is in poor condition. How come the suspension is damaged this way?

last year there were NOS 4345's & Century Golds (SoCal ??) that needed foam replacement , tho the humid climate of Asia will certainly accelerate the process.

everything rots/molds in SE Asia

I would sell them where the demand is highest. Since there do not seem to be any rare items , it seems like Japan/China/Australia is where you should concentrate.

JBL's go for big bux in Oz...:bouncy:

Don C
02-19-2011, 03:45 PM
If this stuff is put up for auction on eBay, you don't have to worry about marketing specifically to Asia. If an item is offered with international shipping available, Asian buyers or any other buyers can find it themselves without any help. I've sold lots of items to Asia after listing on eBay from the US site. And that's what I'd suggest here, sell it all yourself on eBay.

beemer
02-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I'd buy a pair of 4430's for parts use. Certainly there's humidity damage however if priced reasonably considering the cost of shipping to Massachusetts I'd give it serious consideration.

Shoot me a Private Message from this forum ragdoll. We should talk.

Paul

Wagner
02-19-2011, 07:54 PM
I'd buy a pair of 4430's for parts use. Certainly there's humidity damage however if priced reasonably considering the cost of shipping to Massachusetts I'd give it serious consideration.

Paul

What's all the talk with humidity damage?

Mystery Man wrote:
"They, in all probability would have been stored for the last few decades in a humidity controlled warehouse."

Thomas

Wagner
02-19-2011, 08:00 PM
A hypothetical prospective buyer in Massachusetts and a hypothetical seller of hypothetical JBL goods located in a hypothetical "asian" country yet to be identified, both new members within the past 48 hours!

What are the chances of that?!

This place is even better than ePay!

Wow!

Can't wait to hear about the fabulous deal you get beemer! :bouncy:

Thomas

1audiohack
02-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I'll bet no one EVER called you "Doubting Thomas" before right?:p

tom1356
02-19-2011, 08:15 PM
A hypothetical prospective buyer in Massachusetts and a hypothetical seller of hypothetical JBL goods located in a hypothetical "asian" country yet to be identified, both new members within the past 48 hours!

What are the chances of that?!

This place is even better than ePay!

Wow!

Can't wait to hear about the fabulous deal you get beemer! :bouncy:

Thomas

I know Beemer from another forum.
He is legit.

Wagner
02-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I know Beemer from another forum.
He is legit.

My apologies to the beemer then. Sincerely.

Guess the truth is stranger than fiction :blink:

Thomas

Wagner
02-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I'll bet no one EVER called you "Doubting Thomas" before right?:p

Touché
:p

Thomas

Wagner
02-19-2011, 08:23 PM

Paul

Smoke him out Paul! :bouncy:

Thomas

Allanvh5150
02-20-2011, 01:24 AM
geeeez guys, maybe we should go back into Iraq and look futher for WOMD........innocent until proven guilty works most of the time.....:)

Wagner
02-20-2011, 02:04 AM
geeeez guys, maybe we should go back into Iraq and look futher for WOMD........innocent until proven guilty works most of the time.....:)

Ball's in his court

audiomagnate
02-20-2011, 05:22 AM

I agree, this could be the goose that laid the golden egg and everyone wants to bite the poor schmuck's head off. The one picture of actual product did look incredibly lame, but I've been in enough audio manufacturer's warehouses to know those pics are legit. Not all of Asia is a stinking rotting armpit. NOS is as cool as it gets in my book, but what do I know?

PM me mate (bloke?) , I have a few bucks left from my divorce!

ragdolll
02-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Well if you have any 2405 or 077 diaphragms, or any 2410, LE-175, 2420, 2421, or LE-85 diaphragms, I would be interested. Can you give me a cost shipped to 92705?

Thanks

heya:) im sorry i dont have any of those. These are the 24xxs I have on file. I might have more but im not sure.
2402H
24-15323
24-16625
2417H
2426H
2426J
2427J
2427H
2435HPL
2446H
2447H
2447J
2450H
2450J
2490H

can someone tell me whats the difference between the Hs and the Js ?

toddalin
02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
heya:) im sorry i dont have any of those. These are the 24xxs I have on file. I might have more but im not sure.

can someone tell me whats the difference between the Hs and the Js ?

The impedience. IIRC, H is 8 ohms and J is 16 ohms.

If you have 2402's, look again for those 2405's for me. ;)

Thanks

mikebake
02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
If it were me, i'd figure out what the stuff is worth on the open market, and buy it all at a good price, for resale.