PDA

View Full Version : Help with 80-700hz driver choice

Jonas_h
02-14-2011, 04:15 AM
I am in the process of constructing a home theater and I have narrowed my choice to use JBL Pro Cinema speakers. The price tags of the Array 1400 is too much for what I am willing to spend.

I have read many good things about using the ScreenArray speakers in home environments, and I have decided to go for the 4722-HF section for the top. But I have doubts about what LF-section to use.

I have narrowed my choice to either using a single 2226h driver in a 4507A enclosure or dual 265H-2 drivers in the 4509 enclosure. (The "stock" enclosure for the 4722: http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=621)

The room is about 320 sq. feet so I would think that a single 2226H would be more than enough and because of the smaller enclosure, it will leave take up less space behind the screen.

Any input is appreciated! (For subs I'll be using two 4645c's).

Ruediger
02-14-2011, 07:16 AM
2206 is Your driver.

Ruediger

Mr. Widget
02-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Have you considered the SAM1HF/SAM2LF Array systems? They retail for $4K per channel in the US... I don't know how this compares with the price of the Pro systems, but it is designed for the size venue that you are talking about. For the up close listening that you will be doing, the Array horns and the aquaplas treated aluminum drivers will sound better than the titanium pro drivers on those longer throw horns.

Widget

Jonas_h
02-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I have considered the Synthesis set, but they are more than double the price where I live (Europe), and that is more than I am willing to spend. So the pro-way is the way to go for me.

Do you have any experience with the two drivers I mentioned against each other?

Mr. Widget
02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Do you have any experience with the two drivers I mentioned against each other?I have heard the 2226 but I've never heard those less expensive pro drivers. I do not find the 2226 to be as articulate or tonally neutral as I would like. For theater use it may not be an issue though.

Widget

Allanvh5150
02-14-2011, 10:57 PM
If you are considering size and price, it may be better for you to go with the "domestic" vintage stuff. 128's are pretty nice and go plenty low enough without a sub. I think if you went with a single 2226 you will be dissapointed. I used to have a similar setup and grew tired of its "horn sound" so I went with L150's with some 2235's for additional bottom end. If you are intent on using a 2226 you will want a sub under it. Obviously you would need to rethink your horn selection if you went with a 2206 and a sub. My HT room is about the same size as yours and I do not consider that you would need horns in that sized space.

Allan.