PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Complain

Robh3606
02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
My Internet connection and phone, all through my cable company, has been acting up for at least 2 weeks with intermittent phone and Internet. Call service and they send the guy out. Unfortunately I couldn't be there. I am a little paranoid about people pulling cables behind my main HT set-up. I get home power it up and HUMMMMMMMMMMM:banghead:

I hate ground loops they are such a pita to find. Before the service all was well. So I start checking my ground wires. I have a star ground single point system that ties directly to my outside service grounding rod. Works like a charm.

I can't find anything wrong so I ask my wife what he did. Found out he changed the main line feed from the pole to the house. I go outside and guess what is not connected?? The ground for the cable system:blink: I hook it problem fixed:D

Any of you guys have cable ground issues. How do you fix them?? Hard ground or an isolator??

Rob:)

HCSGuy
02-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Transformer based isolator - Jensen VRD-1FF. We assume one goes on every Cable subscriber - saves a service call later.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_vid.html

Allanvh5150
02-08-2011, 09:09 PM
What he said!

hjames
02-09-2011, 03:33 AM
My Internet connection and phone, all through my cable company, has been acting up for at least 2 weeks with intermittent phone and Internet. Call service and they send the guy out. Unfortunately I couldn't be there. I am a little paranoid about people pulling cables behind my main HT set-up. I get home power it up and HUMMMMMMMMMMM:banghead:

I hate ground loops they are such a pita to find. Before the service all was well. So I start checking my ground wires. I have a star ground single point system that ties directly to my outside service grounding rod. Works like a charm.

I can't find anything wrong so I ask my wife what he did. Found out he changed the main line feed from the pole to the house. I go outside and guess what is not connected?? The ground for the cable system:blink: I hook it problem fixed:D

Any of you guys have cable ground issues. How do you fix them?? Hard ground or an isolator??

Rob:)

Yep - I had the same issue with Verizon when they installed FIOS at my house - the guy did a couple things and I told him - "thats not a good idea, you'll get a hum" ... he assured me he was a professional and it wouldn't. When he connected the his gear to my coax, and a nasty hum ensued downstairs - I cancelled the install and threw the bum out!

Well, that was after he didn't realize my mac mini was the computer "No, where is the tower, the computer?" (afterwards - Me: Have you ever installed a MAC before?, Him: sure, lots of them!)
and also after he tried to stealth-install some windows software on my Max,
(he did a browser test and repeatedly clicked INSTALL on some EXE piece of software at his Verizon URL - but didn't bother to tell me or ask first) ... of course it wouldn't install.

3 strikes, you're OUT!

CATV guys - you don't gotta love them!!