PDA

View Full Version : S-1 system Crossover... LX-10 - POOR ! ?

LE15-Thumper
08-25-2004, 09:01 PM
I am currently rebuilding a set of old S-1's . LE14A and LE175DLH with a really dissappointing LX-10 . These came as a kit in the early 70's with Barzalay cabinets,(please correct my spelling if needed). I want to change the ornate wood grill assy to a more basic cloth wrapped around a wood frame. Yes, I am keeping all the old parts. The cabinets could really use some cross bracing as well as new stuffing material,(has fiberglass presently).

My big beef: I am sorry if I hurt any feelings out there but, what a piece of cr*p ! JBL seemed to put 99% of design effort into their drivers and about the last 1% on the x-overs. Inside the LX-10 there is no crossover for the woofer. It is connected directly to the speaker input ! Should I trust the natural roll off of the driver to be a decent enough crossover ?

The horn however, has a 12db setup for it with the L-pad on the rear.
I was thinking of using a second order set up for both drivers crossing over at 800Hz using the following values :
Cap : 16uf
Coil : 2.2mh

Any feedback on this idea ? (no pun intended)

Also, has anyone heard how good these new Iron core coils from ERSE are ? The ones that Parts Express sells.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&Start=3&ObjectGroup_ID=283&sm=1&so=2&search_type=49546554&desc=ASC

They are supposed to be a lot better than the regular iron core and they take up a lot less space than Air coils, they also leave more green in your wallet too !

And what's with N7000's selling for so much on eBay ? , Have you ever seen what's inside them ? Ya, I know they are a collectors item but you could build better for under $100.00 a pair.
IMHO ! :rolleyes:

My rant is now over .

:banghead:

4313B
08-26-2004, 05:27 AM
Try to keep the LX10 design in context.

boputnam
08-26-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by LE15-Thumper
Inside the LX-10 there is no crossover for the woofer. It is connected directly to the speaker input ! Should I trust the natural roll off of the driver to be a decent enough crossover ?
That was a common design for many of the JBL line, back in the day. Tastes, and design, have changed.

Giskard, I believe somewhere here, has posted on his opinion on air-core versus "other". Try a search for that, attributable to Giskard, and see what surfaces.

Well. my search didn't find a "preference", but more commonly air-core is referred to.