PDA

View Full Version : Who uses their vintage speakers as "daily drivers"?

Mike F
02-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Having scanned these forums, I am in awe of the impressive, and enviable collection of vintage JBL loudspeakers.
Given the relative scarcity of critical components namely drivers and such, I can`t help but wonder if these speakers are in daily use.
I for one would not be able to resist the urge to use them on a daily basis however, given the age of some of these units, I`d be more than a little apprehensive to do so.
I`m guessing most of these speakers are used in second systems with something more modern, but not necessarily better, serving as daily drivers.

I`m considering assembleing a vintage system centered around a pair of 4312`s or perhaps 4411`s driven by some classic Marantz power but I dont think it would replace my current
Rega/Magnum Dynalab/Krell/Opera system for daily use.
I just cant see a system of that vintage being able to stand up to that kind of duty, especially when in the mood for elevated SPL`s:) but I could be wrong..

Wagner
02-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I`m considering assembleing a vintage system centered around a pair of 4312`s or perhaps 4411`s driven by some classic Marantz power but I dont think it would replace my current
I just cant see a system of that vintage being able to stand up to that kind of duty, especially when in the mood for elevated SPL`s:) but I could be wrong..

You are, sooooooooo wrong.

Thomas

MikeBrewster77
02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I tend to be somewhat of an advocate for the "newer" stuff, but vintage JBL's still get played in my house on a near daily basis.

Just bear in mind they require care and feeding, some of which can be expensive, some of which can require you to bide your time to find the right parts, etc. That said, if they're up to spec, there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be able to handle the same power and produce the same SPL's as they could the day they were new.

Allanvh5150
02-05-2011, 09:00 PM
All of my JBL's are 25 years plus. They get used daily in my main system. To be honest, the current range of speakers that everyone can afford just do not stack up.

Allan.

HCSGuy
02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
The older stuff is so much more efficient than most modern speakers, you can play them to uncomfortable levels with little strain on them. That said, my "Vintage" speakers are 70's and 80's monitors; I'm not cranking techno on a pair of Iconics. Parts are still available for most of these "Newer" speakers, though you have to keep an eye on the secondary market (EBay) sometimes for spares, just in case. I make sure not to abuse them or drive the amps into distortion, though this is never an issue; my ears give out way before the speakers or the 150w/ch Bryston I usually use do. I think JBL is a rare case in that their vintage home speakers often used the same drivers JBL sold for pro use and touring through the 60's and 70's. They were made to play loud and to be serviced. Try that with other companies vintage speakers and you'll be ordering aftermarket 4 1/2" recone kits by the 9 pack...

rdgrimes
02-05-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm more inclined to really push any of my 80's L-series models HARD than I would be most newer speakers. That said, I use my PS system and abuse it regularly the most.

I've pushed up to 1000 WPC into L-series models and they didn't even bat an eye over it. 400 WPC is the daily dose of power. I wouldn't try that with the newest L-series, (L890, etc). All the older JBLs are designed to withstand extreme abuse. You're more likely to damage the crossover than anything else, and even those can be repaired with cheapish parts. As long as you're not under-powering them, let it rock.

boputnam
02-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I for one would not be able to resist the urge to use them on a daily basis however, given the age of some of these units, I`d be more than a little apprehensive to do so. I`m guessing most of these speakers are used in second systems with something more modern, but not necessarily better, serving as daily drivers.

...I just cant see a system of that vintage being able to stand up to that kind of duty, especially when in the mood for elevated SPL`s:)

...but I could be wrong..Uh, pretty much.

I have no idea what your application is, but regardless, all my vintage JBL's are in-use daily. Why else are all us here?

That said, I am not a fan of high SPL for routine home listening - if you are, there we differ.

DavidF
02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
The members in this forum come together to discuss the use of the JBL equipment by and large. No many would even think to try to disuade you from using JBL equipment on a daily basis. These things are made for use, not like some Ming vase to set on a shelf or a fondue set to bring out for 70's parties. You don't have to relegate them to particular vintage theme system. Give them a good source and amplifier, sit down and listen. Listen loud? Certainement!

yggdrasil
02-06-2011, 02:03 AM
My oldest JBL's - the Sovereign's are in daily use driven by the TV. The main system is almost in daily use.

The Sovereign's are rarely stressed.

Even though I tend to listen at lower SPL's these days, the main system do get to play quite loud. But then again, I probably can't stress them since there's only some 15-20W driving the Mid/HF section and 150-160W for the woofers.

Am I afraid to kill them? - no.

locanti
02-06-2011, 03:29 AM
I use a pair of original DORIAN daily in my bedroom when listening radio broadcast or cool CD's, level is 85/90Db and I use my main system(compose of LE15A,D216,LE75/85 and fostex tweeters) more or less 105/110Db twice a week(to spare my ears,I'm 50).

My daughter listeniing "modern loud music"(But no rap) on her pair of homebuild LE14C and said they're just great for the music she loved.

I guess these kind of drivers were strongly build, as were CADILLACS in the 50's.Look how many of these cars are still running daily in CUBA and you'll know what I mean.:D

BMWCCA
02-06-2011, 06:59 AM
The only "new" JBL in my house was the 030 my Dad bought when I was five-years-old. I kept that and played it daily up until two-years ago. My 030s played parties on the back porch through Crown amps when I was in college and enjoyed plenty of high SPL hours when no one was around to tell me to "turn it down".

I only put these "out to pasture" after over 50-years of constant use, replacing them with 4345 clones built with refurbished/new drivers. The 4345s are in constant daily use in anything from movie soundtracks when my kids watch "Transformers" to low-listening-level classic jazz from Bill Evans.

It never occurred to me to be concerned for the welfare of my speakers since the only failure in over 55-years of listening to JBLs was a blown 075 caused by an underpowered Kenwood receiver back in 1968, and JBL even repaired that under their "lifetime" warranty back then with an explanation of why I should replace that "defective" receiver. :thmbsup:

Lee in Montreal
02-06-2011, 07:05 AM
I much prefer the sound of high efficiency drivers, and it is a personal choice. So, why shouldn't I listen to that on a daily basis?

BTW Most of my equipment is over 30 years vintage.

57BELAIRE
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
My daily driver is a Caravan and my '57 Belair is for weekends and special events. But
you can bet my '59 Paragon is my "daily driver". My 2505 Mac is all I need to fill
the room with glorious sounds from that old hoss. Actually, nothing in my JBL collection is
newer than 1980. I've got a Mac 2205 pushing the L300's but reflex designs aren't my
thing....they're just not as dynamic (to my ears) as horn loaded systems.
So in answer to your question......ya mon, there's still life left in those old JBL's ;)

toddalin
02-06-2011, 11:49 AM
My vintage JBLs are used a minimum of 3-1/2 hours a day every day and more on weekends. Yeah they need new foams every 15-20 years, but would even if they weren't played.

Mike F
02-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Oh my, these responses are encourageing. Seems my apprehensions are shifting more towards potential amplification rather than driver failures.
Equally encourageing is how no one seems to think twice about how often or how hard they drive their loudspeakers.
After all, it would be quite a shame to be in possesion of a pair(s) of classic, vintage JBL`s only to have them on static display.
Not that I listen to excessive volumes, being 48 years old and living in a condo, most of my listening for the past 20 or so years has shifted to the Jazz genre but I do, on occasion pull out some Metallica or Boston and head for the volume-up button:)

Perhaps a few more replies will be enough to push me over the edge!

pyonc
02-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Oh my, these responses are encourageing. Seems my apprehensions are shifting more towards potential amplification rather than driver failures.
Equally encourageing is how no one seems to think twice about how often or how hard they drive their loudspeakers.
After all, it would be quite a shame to be in possesion of a pair(s) of classic, vintage JBL`s only to have them on static display.
Not that I listen to excessive volumes, being 48 years old and living in a condo, most of my listening for the past 20 or so years has shifted to the Jazz genre but I do, on occasion pull out some Metallica or Boston and head for the volume-up button:)

I listen to jazz almost daily through my 4343 studio monitors in bi-amp mode in basement, and 4311B in the living room.
This four-way 4343 were the king of the speaker systems in the 1970s to Japanese jazz fans, they say. If you haven't had chances to listen to 4343 or its upgraded version 4344, especially as you seem to be a jazz fan like me, just go for them. You'd like them very much.

hjames
02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Daily use of the 4341s for music, plus movies and TV -
(they are the fronts of my Home Theatre system as well!)

slightly less often use of the upstairs L200-plus speakers for music-only ...
(and occasional with mac Airport-Express for internet radio and such)

What is the point of owning such glorious speakers if you don't USE THEM ...

SEAWOLF97
02-06-2011, 08:23 PM
What is the point of owning such glorious speakers if you don't USE THEM ...

you beat me to it HJ .... the big Ti's are smooth and dynamic as ever....:applaud:

richluvsound
02-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Vintage JBL's are nice to look at , but that was not the first consideration when designed .
Mine are on all day every day. Properly maintained, there is no reason why they shouldn't outlast us all .

In my experience , its amplification that causes more damage to speakers . A good quality signal will
extend the life of any speaker vintage or new .

Personally , I don't advocate the use of vintage amplifiers , especially those originally designed for PA use .

enjoy, relax and get good amps .

Rich

JeffW
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
most of my listening for the past 20 or so years has shifted to the Jazz genre but I do, on occasion pull out some Metallica or Boston and head for the volume-up button:)

I use my 250ti daily, Miles Davis to Metallica, Bill Evans to Boston, and they are also the fronts on my HT so they get all the explosions off movies, to boot.

jblnut
02-07-2011, 11:31 AM
All day, every day....

My 120Ti's are in my office and used 10-12 hours a day, every day. The 250Ti's are used less - maybe 8-12 hours per week but always get "the cobwebs blown out" on Saturday am when they rock the house as we do the weekly cleaning.

Power them well and re-foam every 20 years -that's about it....

jblnut

Regis
02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
The 4315's were giving us a pounding yesterday! Listening to Shinedown (imagine Nickleback vocals, with Metallica speed and guitars, yes, it's really good), but man, my best bud and his son were over and we had him between us on the couch. It was plenty loud and we had to turn it down at some point, because you can only take so much!:p

polar_bear_0104
02-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm more inclined to really push any of my 80's L-series models HARD than I would be most newer speakers. That said, I use my PS system and abuse it regularly the most.

I've pushed up to 1000 WPC into L-series models and they didn't even bat an eye over it. 400 WPC is the daily dose of power. I wouldn't try that with the newest L-series, (L890, etc). All the older JBLs are designed to withstand extreme abuse. You're more likely to damage the crossover than anything else, and even those can be repaired with cheapish parts. As long as you're not under-powering them, let it rock.

i'll try to remember not to buy any JBLs from you..:D

Fred Sanford
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Five L46s - daily use in basement theater system.
HP420s - daily use in bedroom system.
L110s - used most weekdays as monitors in studio's control room.
4333As - used a couple times a week in living room system.
4401s - used occasionally for remote recording gigs, or on the video editing desk.
TR225s - used occasionally during rehearsals & parties.
L50s - used occasionally for playback during recording sessions.

The TR225s & HP420s are fairly modern, but the rest of them are all from the '70s.

je

Eaulive
02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
i'll try to remember not to buy any JBLs from you..:D

Maybe he was talking about Watts PMPO :D:D

Titanium Dome
02-07-2011, 09:33 PM
If it's in my house, it's going to get used, and used as I want to use it. If it requires special handling and can no longer take the pressure, then I don't need it.

The James Gang said it pretty well: Made loud to be played loud.

This isn't a rest home for old speakers. It's a home for those that can keep up.

brutal
02-07-2011, 11:21 PM
I use my 250ti daily, Miles Davis to Metallica, Bill Evans to Boston, and they are also the fronts on my HT so they get all the explosions off movies, to boot.

Ditto on the daily driver 250Ti's here, I also turned off the center channel and went phantom with great result. I also run one set of L112's in the office 8-12/day at times, a small set of l15's on the desk for some listening, second set of L112's in the mancave and then all the others get rotated in on various gear periodically for more listening pleasure. The thought of acquiring vintage JBL to only look at them never crossed my mind.

02-08-2011, 12:02 AM

Over the edge yet?

I'm in "Toned Down" mode right now with the L-150A's playing Stanley Clarke's East River Drive", very nice. I thought for a minute that one of the 12's was not sounding right this afternoon on track 4. So I brought in a 2235 sub and tried it on the same passage. It's the recording naturally. But now I've got to finish the second 2235 sub so I can try out the pair tomorrow, right now I've got one 200W channel pushing about 5 watts into the 15, and the other 200 watts just waiting for a speaker to drive. Tomorrow may get a little loud! "But it's LOW bass, it won't SEEM loud."

Last week, I would have said that the L-150's don't need a sub, now I'll have to say they don't _NEED_ one, but...:D

BTW, I can't live without a big KNOB for the volume, we don't need no Up-Down buttons! Well on a remote maybe...;)

Mike F
02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Over the edge yet?

I'm in "Toned Down" mode right now with the L-150A's playing Stanley Clarke's East River Drive", very nice. I thought for a minute that one of the 12's was not sounding right this afternoon on track 4. So I brought in a 2235 sub and tried it on the same passage. It's the recording naturally. But now I've got to finish the second 2235 sub so I can try out the pair tomorrow, right now I've got one 200W channel pushing about 5 watts into the 15, and the other 200 watts just waiting for a speaker to drive. Tomorrow may get a little loud! "But it's LOW bass, it won't SEEM loud."

Last week, I would have said that the L-150's don't need a sub, now I'll have to say they don't _NEED_ one, but...:D

BTW, I can't live without a big KNOB for the volume, we don't need no Up-Down buttons! Well on a remote maybe...;)

Over the edge you ask? Absolutely!:)
I know what you mean about the volume knob versus button thing. I`m running a Krell 300i integrated, an outstanding amp btw.
The only feature I don`t like about it is the lack of a volume knob.

jbl_daddy
02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
The 250ti's are on all day every day. The 4340's are used maby weekly, it all depends what you want to listen to.

doodle6
02-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Having scanned these forums, I am in awe of the impressive, and enviable collection of vintage JBL loudspeakers.
Given the relative scarcity of critical components namely drivers and such, I can`t help but wonder if these speakers are in daily use.
I for one would not be able to resist the urge to use them on a daily basis however, given the age of some of these units, I`d be more than a little apprehensive to do so.
I`m guessing most of these speakers are used in second systems with something more modern, but not necessarily better, serving as daily drivers.

Thomas' reply was perfect ("You are sooooooooooo wrong!). Here, we hardly listen to anything else. Every room has a little bit different sound. Living room - 4350B, master bedroom - L220, second bedroom - 4333, third bedroom - L150, front porch sitting area - Control 29, back patio - Control 30, garage - L110, studio - 4345. Kitchen is built-in Boston Acoustics. Pathetic by comparison.

doodle6
02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I use a pair of original DORIAN daily in my bedroom when listening radio broadcast or cool CD's, level is 85/90Db and I use my main system(compose of LE15A,D216,LE75/85 and fostex tweeters) more or less 105/110Db twice a week(to spare my ears,I'm 50).

My daughter listeniing "modern loud music"(But no rap) on her pair of homebuild LE14C and said they're just great for the music she loved.

I guess these kind of drivers were strongly build, as were CADILLACS in the 50's.Look how many of these cars are still running daily in CUBA and you'll know what I mean.:D

I like the Cadillac reference. The thing is, these 70s-80s times were the heydays of the great speakers somewhat like the mid 60s were the heydays of the muscle cars. A lot of us were young then, and now we're driving up the prices of both vintage speakers and vintage cars, probably for the same reason: we're getting older and we have those great memories of getting laid in the back seat of a '67GTO or in front of the fireplace listening to "One Stormy Night" on a pair of L100s. And now we want to recapture that whole experience.

Disclaimer: not talking about myself at all here.

audiorep2
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
I have a pair in my office, which is my main listening area. I drive then with a Crown PS200. In addition, I use a JBL LSR4312SP sub. Soundcraftsman 20-12A EQ.
To my 60 year ols Rock'n'Roll abused ears., it sounds GREAT !!!

super440
02-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I've got L 112's,L 166's,and L 65's,L 96's,and one or the other gets driven everyday. They have been providing pleasure for many years,and many more years to come. :)

Chris Brown
02-14-2011, 09:53 AM

What sort of SPL are you talking about? My system can do over 130dB during parties and other inebriated listening sessions.

grumpy
02-14-2011, 11:57 AM
wow. Threshold of pain. Hearing damage likely.

Don't think I'd want to be there for long without some ear plugs. :)
The concussive effects might be entertaining.

Isn't that nearly 10,000watts x2 for a pair of L150 cabs?

SEAWOLF97
02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
What sort of SPL are you talking about? My system can do over 130dB during parties and other inebriated listening sessions.

you get my vote as biggest abuser on the forum since JBL's max power rating for L150s are 300 wpc

(might not even be music at that level ?? )

Mr. Widget
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Isn't that nearly 10,000watts x2 for a pair of L150 cabs?When I was young and stupid I had 500 watts/channel driving four large DIY JBLs with compression drivers and 15" woofers. I did measure 127dBA at 3 feet with a calibrated SPL meter... it was damned loud. I have had the capability to repeat that in recent years, but never felt compelled to give it a whirl.

Widget

mike
02-14-2011, 04:26 PM
The older JBL systems were almost always designed with dynamic range as a priority and you might be surprised to find that many of them have greater dynamic capabilities than modern speakers. They are generally quite capable of daily use.

Mike

brad347
02-14-2011, 07:42 PM
it's what they're made for. Curtis Mayfield bumping on the 4345s as we speak.

Eaulive
02-14-2011, 08:05 PM
wow. Threshold of pain. Hearing damage likely.

Don't think I'd want to be there for long without some ear plugs. :)
The concussive effects might be entertaining.

Isn't that nearly 10,000watts x2 for a pair of L150 cabs?

Well, 130dB at 1.5cm/300W... it computes :D

Allanvh5150
02-14-2011, 10:27 PM
The fronts on my HT are L150A's and they are driven with 500 watts RMS. When playing music the amps can run just below clip but I would not want to run it like that for too long. It is just too damn loud. At that volume it is dead clean also.

Allan.:)

Mike F
02-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Nowhere near that kind of level, I`m 48 and reside in a condo after all:D

1audiohack
02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Well, 130dB at 1.5cm/300W... it computes :D

Texas headphones! Ouch.

hjames
02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Time to move the L20T3s out??

I had one set as side surrounds in my TV room, until I put the L100T's in their place downstairs.
I had another used as speakers on my Mac, driven by an HK740 receiver, for internet radio, music, whatever.

We have been using them daily, but separately, and have been very pleased with them.
Now, a friend is interested in getting a surround system - perhaps they could be a good start!

I've never had them in the same room at the same time before - what do you think?

PS - Teddy is a rescue cat, a previous owner had him declawed, so the grills are safe ... but there is Himalayan fur EVERYWHERE!

MikeBrewster77
02-15-2011, 04:34 PM
what do you think?

Nice kitty ... nice kitty ... stay away from the speaker grilles, kitty :frantic:

Good looking set - with a 5th for a center (or something comparable) and a decent sub, your friend would have a nice surround sound system.

Cactus Bob
02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Can't help but dive in on this thread!! Good stuff!! :applaud:

I run my 250ti's nearly everyday with 2 bridged Yamaha PC2002's. They are sooo addictive. :)

My 240ti's & L150A's are sidelined because of them, but still I still move them in for a little action once in a while and love them both. :)

At least 1 or 2 times a week I use my C40's / 030 with my tube amps which are shared with a pair of EV Regency III's. The EV's seem to edge out the C40's, but don't tell anybody. :eek:

The BR system has a pair L50's on JBL stands which sound terrific & use 1x week maybe :snore:

L56's in the den with a SS Lafayette receiver / PC. 2x week (doctors orders) :bouncy:

Theebadone
02-15-2011, 10:25 PM
I just can't resist takin the 4410s for a spin at least once a day. The little Mcintosh 250 sounds soooo good on them i can't resist. ;)

Cactus Bob
02-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Correction C40 with 001 load. Can't edit original post. :D

Can't help but dive in on this thread!! Good stuff!! :applaud:

I run my 250ti's nearly everyday with 2 bridged Yamaha PC2002's. They are sooo addictive. :)

My 240ti's & L150A's are sidelined because of them, but still I still move them in for a little action once in a while and love them both. :)

At least 1 or 2 times a week I use my C40's / 001 with my tube amps which are shared with a pair of EV Regency III's. The EV's seem to edge out the C40's, but don't tell anybody. :eek:

The BR system has a pair L50's on JBL stands which sound terrific & use 1x week maybe :snore:

L56's in the den with a SS Lafayette receiver / PC. 2x week (doctors orders) :bouncy:

Xeon_Flux
12-07-2014, 03:11 AM
Thomas' reply was perfect ("You are sooooooooooo wrong!). Here, we hardly listen to anything else. Every room has a little bit different sound. Living room - 4350B, master bedroom - L220, second bedroom - 4333, third bedroom - L150, front porch sitting area - Control 29, back patio - Control 30, garage - L110, studio - 4345. Kitchen is built-in Boston Acoustics. Pathetic by comparison. I agree doodle6. I'm running a pair of 412C's [full range drivers] from the '60's in homemade folded horn cabinets. These bad boys handle everything from TV to radio to cd. It is my main entertainment center and they've been doing daily duty for over 7 years now. Re-foam kits are cheap on eBay if you need them. As long as there is no voice coil rub that needs professional servicing there is no reason not to use the old vintage speakers as daily drivers especially if you come across a set cheap or free. The main thing is to match the system to the drivers & don't over-drive them. They should last you a long time and give you great service.

Xeon_Flux
12-07-2014, 03:51 AM
Vintage JBL's are nice to look at , but that was not the first consideration when designed . Mine are on all day every day. Properly maintained, there is no reason why they shouldn't outlast us all . In my experience , its amplification that causes more damage to speakers . A good quality signal will extend the life of any speaker vintage or new . Personally , I don't advocate the use of vintage amplifiers , especially those originally designed for PA use . enjoy, relax and get good amps . Rich Exactly right - I couldn't have said it better myself. Clean power and signal is an absolute must if you want to drive any speaker at full load. I'm partial to the early '80's Yamaha's. They had monster transformers and discrete circuitry and put out extremely clean power. I'm currently running an AV-50 [120 watts p/channel] and also have a RX-V300K [60 watts p/channel]. Both of these are being used for home entertainment systems. I picked up the AV-50 for under $50.00 & the 300K for under $80.00 and all functions work on them. You can get a fairly decent product relatively cheap if you do some research and know what to look for.

Doc Mark
12-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Howdy, All,

As I've mentioned here before, we listen to our L300's every single day, both for music, and when we enjoy movies. The 4411's were moved upstairs, and await a place to be used, and other systems, including the DIY 4-way, and the L250's are currently incomplete projects, but will be used when finished.

I think that, someday, we may have to move to a larger place, so there is more room for JBL systems!! ;) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

martin2395
12-07-2014, 10:07 AM
All of the parts, except the 2235H's are easily obtainable so I just use my 4343's every day. They are speakers to listen to, not some holy oracles only to look at and admire :)

Not to mention that you will blow your ears off before you blow the speakers :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
12-07-2014, 11:42 AM
My daily drivers are ESS AMT 10b bookshelves. Sure , I've got lots of finer JBL's
but these are just so sweet and right sized for the installation. Vintage from the
late 70's/early 80's.
I've refoamed them and their 10 inch passives. The Heil HF/MH in these 2 ways
is just so right.

As mentioned before ...vintage speakers are NOT Ming vases , use daily until no longer
repairable. enjoy. Nothing in my price range made today will compare

The were priced about the same as Jubals when new, but are now in production again (updated, no doubt,
and with an updated price = $4,450. Don't know if that a single or pair :dont-know:)

http://www.themusic.com/detail.cfm?id=450200

idylldon
12-07-2014, 12:20 PM
My 4320s in my studio. I just rebuilt the crossovers, installed new diaphragms in the horns, and built new crossovers for the 2405 tweeters my friend is bringing over on Tuesday. He's also bringing a rebuilt Allen Organ tube amp so I can try that out. I'm slowing dialing these in but so far they're sounding pretty good.

Cheers,
--
Don

Nordschleife
12-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Very nice studio, Don! Steinway Model B?

shureman
12-07-2014, 04:05 PM
I do. The 150-4's, the 375's, the 537-500's, N500's, N7000's and 075's have been in daily use since I bought them second-hand in 1971. Haven't refoamed or refurbished anything. Still sound fine to me, though my 69-year old ears maybe missing something...

idylldon
12-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Very nice studio, Don! Steinway Model B?

Thanks! It's been many years in the making. It's a '68 Steinway D that's been recently restrung, regulated, and voiced. Since I'm a piano tuner, it pretty much is ready to play at any given moment. I don't allow the room to swing more than 10 degrees F, so it's amazingly stable. The sad thing is I'm a guitar player so I don't play it! It does, however, get quite the workout in the studio, everything from jazz to classical to pop to rock.

Cheers,
--
Don

1audiohack
12-07-2014, 05:26 PM
My 4435's run every weekday in my office.

I noticed last month that the surrounds are cracking on the 2234's. They have never asked for anything until now. Time for a little maintenance. :)

Barry.

jblnut
12-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Unlike "garage queens" in other motorized hobbies, vintage JBL's are meant to be used! Most every system in our house gets regular/daily use as well as the occasional chance to strut their stuff at house party volume. I've lost one 035Ti in the past 10 years - that after too many margaritas and a bunch of people wanting to watch an AC/DC BlueRay Concert DVD at realistic levels. I must have run the HK AVR7200 out of juice on my fronts (4410s) and that takes some doing.

Looking back it was way too loud and we try not to let it get that out of hand any more :-)

jblnut

ngccglp
12-08-2014, 04:00 PM
This is my daily system for jazz

gferrell
12-13-2014, 02:24 PM
There is a lot to be said for this thread!

brutal
12-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Unlike "garage queens" in other motorized hobbies, vintage JBL's are meant to be used! Most every system in our house gets regular/daily use as well as the occasional chance to strut their stuff at house party volume. I've lost one 035Ti in the past 10 years - that after too many margaritas and a bunch of people wanting to watch an AC/DC BlueRay Concert DVD at realistic levels. I must have run the HK AVR7200 out of juice on my fronts (4410s) and that takes some doing.

Looking back it was way too loud and we try not to let it get that out of hand any more :-)

jblnut

Out of the many pairs, and several that are daily drivers, I've only lost one 044 in my original 1983 purchased L112's.

My 250Ti run every day there's someone in the house. They're the mains in my 7.1 setup, one of the two subs is a B460. They often get to stretch their legs and go LOUD. The L112's in my office every day. A few of the 20 or so pairs in the basement cave see frequent use.