PDA

View Full Version : Center channel for L112 Fronts

AMACNEE
02-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Looking at using my L112's front right and left in a Home theatre setup and thinking I may want to build a center channel instead of using another L112 or an L96. Both of these speakers are larger than I would like to have in the center. Also finding the individual speakers and components might be a lot easier.

I'm a pretty good carpenter and mechanic but know zip about electronics.

Thinking I should use a 044 high frequency driver and an LE5-12 mid, to match the L112's, and possibly a pair of 115H's (hooked up in parallel?) as the low frequency drivers.

Could use any and all help on layout and the electronic side of things. Ideally I would be able to achieve a design that I could recess into the wall but if not that's ok as long as I can come up with something significantly smaller than either an L112 or L96.

Is it possible to use a dividing network with the crossovers etc. out of an L112 or do I need to have something made special? If I need a custom setup are there sources out there that do this?

JBL 4645
02-06-2011, 04:56 AM
It’s easier to get another set of JBL L112 sure its bulky in height getting it to fit with these flat screens that are a sound compromise you must admit.

Get another JBL L112 and move the LCD flat screen forwards or build out of cheap timber a false wall so the JBL L112 will fit into wall flush with the flat screen. Keep the flat screen lower to floor and place the JBL L112 at equal height across the wide width of the front.

You’ll benefit greatly from another set of JBL L112 than diy centre that is going to be hard to EQ or tonal behaviour of the characteristics to sound the same over the LCR.

I know you like your JBL L112 and finding another pair in good nick at a reasonable price on ebay for (buy now) must be tough. I’d strongly recommend you get another JBL L112 you’d save yourself the headache, believe me.

If you do take the diy route once its set-up I’d listen to each LCR in turn.

Lows first over LCR then switch off the lows and listen to the HF (with the AVR own pink noise) does it sound the same as the first loudspeaker does it look the same on the RTA. No its miles and light-years off.

Get another vintage JBL L112 it will make the films sound so much better with matching LCR fronts. Use the other one for centre back or a back-up speaker or make mono home cinema in the bed room with single JBL L112.:D

AMACNEE
02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll skip the idea of a DIY center and try to find another L112 or possibly an L96 or L86 as I understand they should be very close to the L112.

Art

JBL 4645
02-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll skip the idea of a DIY center and try to find another L112 or possibly an L96 or L86 as I understand they should be very close to the L112.

Art

Seriously it would be the best move to make, you’ll be enjoying the film soundtracks a lot more with matching L112. Good luck in finding another pair in good nick.;)

There’s not much on ebay under L86/96 and 112 only parts and brochures. It could weeks or months until you come across a pair.

Recently a pair sold on ebay yesterday.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&hash=item2eb2f94cb8&item=200571178168&nma=true&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&rt=nc&si=rLbL5alvaDDoSCYaUCjM4wAh8sE%253D#ht_500wt_1076