PDA

View Full Version : L100 to recap or not

vmax700
01-31-2011, 08:44 AM
I have a pair of L100 and L55 and L112 I am considering cap replacment but am wondering how much difference they will make. I'm not the original owner so am unsure what they sounded like new. Please list you thoughts about your experiences, I appreciate all responses.

grumpy
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
... L100 and L55 and L112 I am considering cap replacement but am wondering how much difference they will make...

Unless something is damaged in the L100 or L55 networks, I would -expect-
more bang for the buck in updating the L112 network, with your reaction ranging
from "subtle" to "night and day difference" depending on your listening preferences,
material, and experience.

vmax700
01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
I am getting sound from all drivers from each pair , just wanted to get responses from all who may have recapped and their experiences good bad and otherwise. Thanks for your input.

grumpy
01-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Perhaps I was too gentle. :)

I am getting sound from all drivers from each pair

This is not sufficient to determine that the networks are operating within design parameters.

If a cap has gone out of spec, you should replace it. In the case of the L100's this is not
an expensive proposition, If you're wondering if it will make a difference, just scratch
that itch and do it.

The L112 is (I claim) a higher resolution system, and you are more likely to hear differences
in network component parts (first make sure the L-pads and connectors are operating and
clean). I've built crossovers from scratch and have heard improvements over stock
networks... but that is only my experience and yours may be different... which is why
the initial 'gentleness'.

Mr. Widget
01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Unless something is damaged in the L100 or L55 networks, I would -expect-
more bang for the buck in updating the L112 network, with your reaction ranging
from "subtle" to "night and day difference" depending on your listening preferences,
material, and experience.I agree 100%.

I would also add, if you really hear a "night and day" difference, there was something damaged to begin with.

Widget

vmax700
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your replys I look forward to more responses.

Rolf
02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Not necessarily. The original networks in my 4343's was fixed at the time I bought them. After changing to CC networks it was a clear difference. Maybe not "night and day", but the CC networks made a great improvement.

I agree 100%.

I would also add, if you really hear a "night and day" difference, there was something damaged to begin with.

Widget

vmax700
02-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks for all replys

qquickk
02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
i was playing with some Skanning and Dynaudio drivers, $k worth, and never really found nirvana, don't really care for the monitor sub approach i guess. i ended up with a pair of 4310's again that i always liked, but since i became more sophisticated (well the ears anyway) i could hear the dreadful xover. i have discovered that high quality parts CAN give high quality results, and low quality parts can only give low quality results, especially electrolytics and small gauge coils . well mine are in 3.5 cu ft furniture cabinets, properly ported, so the bass response is down to the 25hZ promised by specs, St. Saens 3rd wow. deflex panels eliminated the bit of overhang. i still liked the character of the drivers better that the new poly drivers, even expensive ones like Skanning. That paper is unmatched and unavailable at any price. Light so it's quick. but strong. i got rid of the level controls (hunks of iron in the path), massive improvement in timbre. rewired with silver sonic hook up wire. big improvement. designed a bessel tuned xover at 1100 and 5700, very nice, then used bridged t attenuators with kiwame resistors, with the hovland caps and 12 gauge solid coils. very important, because you have to unwrap them to get it just right. half a turn tolerance. so the parts are as expensive as the speakers. i'll send you the diagram if interested. i might still be able to get some 12 gauge coils. i know i am listening to them now and am satisfied, which has never happened in life, and i have the divorces to prove it. you have a diamond in the rough, never be drivers like that again, enjoy.

vmax700
02-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I recapped the L100 crossovers, what type of adhesive is recommended for the aluminum foilcals? Also do any of you replace the speaker wire terminals? If so what have you used? thanks

usekgb
02-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Re-capping the L-100's certainly can't hurt. The original caps are pretty old, and have probably drifted over time. There's only two caps in there, so replacing them is pretty easy once you get the foil cal off. Just use a decent quality poly cap of the same value as the original. If you want, you can also bypass them with 0.01 uF bypass caps. this will get your "crossover" back to original condition.

Cheers,
Zach