PDA

View Full Version : Altec Corona woofer crackling

MyLittleViking
01-30-2011, 01:51 PM
I just noticed some crackling in the right speaker today as I was setting-up a new receiver. Its definitely the speaker as it is coming from the woofer. I am wondering how to tell if its the woofer itself that went bad or if its the crossover. I'll be removing the woofer tonight to see if I notice anything obvious. Any ideas?

MyLittleViking
01-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Pulled the woofer which was a lot harder than I thought. Apparently there are some T-nuts in the back along with some staples. Needless to say the woofers have never been out of these cabinets.

I hooked it up directly to the amp, I notice no crackling and the crossover appears to be in great shape with no burning or anything obvious. I don't have another crossover handy for this model to swap nor do I wish to pull the other woofer from the other cabinet since it is functioning perfectly. Is there anyway to test the crossover components to figure out what's broken? Its interesting just listening the woofer.. :D

MyLittleViking
01-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Upon closer inspection of the crossover, it appears as if the woofer is ran "wide open". Before I put it back together to test, is there something simple to check that I may have missed?

Wagner
02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Upon closer inspection of the crossover, it appears as if the woofer is ran "wide open". Before I put it back together to test, is there something simple to check that I may have missed?

The connections on the back of the cabinet and the amp.

Thomas