PDA

View Full Version : Starting a mid horn project

Lee in Montreal
01-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Basically, I checked Dr Edgar's projects and decided to start my own, with three different variations to see what happens. Driver will be a 5" 104H-2
I started by having templates laser cut from 3/16" aluminum. I will follow their contour with a rotor. One shape to cut the top and bottons in 1/8" Massonite and laminate them, and three different profiles to use as a structure, cut from 5/8" presswood. I expect the assembly to be pretty basic operation. Now deciding for the proper glue.

When each eemple will be done, I will send a pink noise and measure the variations to see which iteration fits my purpose best. And if I am not statisfied, then I'll scrap everything. The expense will have been under $100 but will have learned "something". ;-)

Eaulive
01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Lasercut aluminum plates?

I'm a ham (besides being an audio addict) and I sometimes have to cut aluminum for antennas... I'll know where to go :D

Usually it's 1/4" thick though.

Lee in Montreal
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Yup. Laser cut. Aluminum can be laser cut up to 3/8" thickness. Beyond that, it requires water jet cutting, which is more expensive and leaves rougher edges. Last week, I had thick 3/4" plates cut with water jet before being CNC machined.

These are the rough parts to make the upper plates for racecar oil pans.

Hoerninger
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
will have learned "something". ;-)

Make a frequency compensation similar to that for compression drivers and you will have a fine horn. :thmbsup:
(increasing from about1kHz to about 4kHz )

Eaulive
01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Yup. Laser cut. Aluminum can be laser cut up to 3/8" thickness. Beyond that, it requires water jet cutting, which is more expensive and leaves rougher edges. Last week, I had thick 3/4" plates cut with water jet before being CNC machined.

These are the rough parts to make the upper plates for racecar oil pans.

So you're a machinist?