PDA

View Full Version : Pushed-In Dustcap Remedy?

jackz4000
08-25-2004, 07:12 AM
I did a search and could not find any info, gotta be a quick-trick for it. The dustcap on my 4311 woofer has a push-in, like somebodys finger pushed it. Is there a very easy way to pull the dustcap back out like normal? It does not affect the sound....but its buggin' me a little. Thank you, Jack

ps: I tried a tape pull-out...but no luck.

boputnam
08-25-2004, 07:28 AM
OK, look - I didn't invent this, but a very esteemed Forumite did wonders with it, and I found it through some mighty curious boolean search strings... :eek:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2367&highlight=suck+dome

jackz4000
08-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the search Bo, I never would have thought of that word combo. Duh. Maybe Don C is on to something here. I'll get out my funnel collection. Hhmm. Suction? Maybe attach a funnel to a shop vac and let it do the sucking? Where is Mr. Wizard when you need him? cheers, jack

boputnam
08-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by jackz4000
Maybe attach a funnel to a shop vac and let it do the sucking? :no: You might lose the thing, entirely. That'd be OK if it's an L100, but not in this case... :shock:

Yea - finding the "right" string in this case took a few iterations...

jackz4000
08-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Don't worry Bo, I am going to stew and ponder this thing throughout the day while I am working. I'll thunk it though, maybe tomorrow I will try the funnel-sucking-mouth method first. See what happens. Maybe then progressively move up the HP chain with my vac's.

Right now I am thinking MAYBE....CrazyGlue. A little crazy glue on the dustcap. CrazyGlue a piece of string to the dustcap. Let it dry. And then a gentle, gentle pull. Then, if successful, snip the string and make do with a dab of crazy glue and 1/16 inch of string on the woofer's dustcap....

Then again, Mr. Wizard may chime in, Jack

Robh3606
08-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Well I have used a vacummn cleaner nozzle on a 116h cap and ot worked fine. If you are lucky and the screens on the woofer pole peice are missing stick your finger in the hole and do your thing:eek:

Rob:)

Figge
08-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Robh3606
I have used a vacummn cleaner nozzle on a 116h cap and ot worked fine.

Doh! there suposed to be inverted:banghead: :)

oh! joke! :slink:

on cheezy speakers: as in non !JBL:s i use a needle to pull out the "bump"....and then sell em!

/F

Don C
08-25-2004, 11:51 AM
For 123a, 2213, etc, the best thing to use is a styrofoam coffee cup. You will want to moisten that dome with water to soften it up. Just poke a hole in the bottom of the cup with a pencil, apply to the dome, and go to work. Stop halfway through, and say "What's everyone looking at?" Nothing, Ace.

speakerdave
08-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jackz4000
I tried a tape pull-out...but no luck.
What tape? I've used duct tape to good effect on metal domes. Have not tried it on fiber dust caps. I think duct tape's combination of stickiness and flexibility make it first among tapes for this use. It seems to flow right on there, even gaining more contact surface as pulling distorts it.

David

jackz4000
08-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Good ideas DonC and Rob...more stuff to try. Soon. Dave, the woofer dustcap is a 123 woofer and it is not metal. It is a thick fiber type dustcap. I tried my 2 best duct tapes and they do not adhere strongly enough. Possibly, I could paint some clear nail polish on it and then try duct tape??? Just not enough adhesion. Probably scotch tape would work on a paper dome though.

I just know Mr. Wizard is out there with THE answer, Thanks, Jack

lpd
08-25-2004, 03:39 PM
A friend of mine uses a very, very small hook to pull out the dust cap and then seal the small hole made from the hook with a dab of superglue.
I haven't tried this, although I haven't had a pushed in dust cap yet.:D

Michael
08-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Try using a needle, make a small hole with it at the back of the cone, just above the coil. Just make sure you don't also puncture through the dust cap.