PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardon AVP1a Dolby Pro-Logic / THX

JBL 4645
01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Just brought a fine looking in fair cosmetic condition Harman Kardon AVP1a Dolby pro-logic THX processor that was must buy around early 1990’s which sold for at the time for £1500.00

This evening I brought it for £59.00 off ebay. The item should arrive around Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

I know its old electronics audio gear with Dolby pro-logic but around the time of early 90’s the price was just way out of my range.

I’ve seen the Harman in action at home cinema store a few times once was personal listening demonstration that was accompanied with Harman amps and JBL HT THX in room that was almost the size of my living room.

It has assorted outputs’ via VC that sends same signal to rear back surrounds same as the sidewall surrounds for a totally equal all-around-surround off the matrix surround channels.

Subs front and back left/right front VC for balancing.

No optical digital PCM input that would have been a plus to send the direct PCM from laserdisc even thou at the time they were still Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 as Dolby digital AC-3 didn’t appear for at least another 4 years.

I saved the pictures that the seller put up for unit/item inspection.

Since I’m out of inputs on the main AVR as the 6channel RCA are being used by the Sony BDP-S550 for 6 of out its 8channles (which I’ll undone once the item arrives for testing).

It’s not possible to use all the outputs on the AVP1a 12 in total! Not with the current AVR I need a new AVR sometime soon so I can at least use the HDMI from the x2 bluray players and optical/coaxial from the laserdisc/DVD players.

Even still it would not be possible since most AVR ether come with 8channel RCA inputs and thou some do come with 12.2 or is it 9.2 still not enough. I’d have to make some special modifications of my own. Thou its doubtful the AVP1a will ever be used in the way it was suppose to used some 20 years!:eek: WOW that long ago! Is that what you have to do wait 20 years and buy the items for next to nothing prices.:D

Titanium Dome
01-21-2011, 03:32 PM
That's the Harman version of the Fosgate Audionics Model 3A surround processor. It was quick adaptation around the time of the FA acquisition by Harman.

It's a great unit, and still useful.

It's in the lineage of the other Jim Fosgate designs for Harman, the Citation 7.0 and 5.0 processors.

JBL 4645
01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
That's the Harman version of the Fosgate Audionics Model 3A surround processor. It was quick adaptation around the time of the FA acquisition by Harman.

It's a great unit, and still useful.

It's in the lineage of the other Jim Fosgate designs for Harman, the Citation 7.0 and 5.0 processors.

I was aware some of the models looked like the Harman but wasn’t aware it was remodelled for Harman’s AVP1a. I’m also aware you’re into Fosgate.;)

I’ve seen other Fosgate AVP models reviewed in home cinema magazines during the 90’s which I still have.

The Fosgate model 3a is briefly mentioned in secrets home theater.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=1152&bih=745&q=fosgate+model+3a+&aq=f&aqi=g-v2&aql=&oq=

I’m coming up with a dead-end here! I’m looking for pictures of the Fosgate model 3a tried Google image which was dead-end.

All I can find is remote for it! http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307513 which incidentally I don’t think is included with AVP1a I didn’t see it mentioned on the description list. I know a remote comes with it as I remember seeing the unit with remote 19 or 20 years ago.

Maybe the seller forget to mention the remote? I think most if the features can be programmed on the front panel and if a remote is needed I’ll look around for Harman remote for that model or the Fosgate model 3a remote which should work most of the units’ functions.

I found the Harman quiet appealing looking 20 years ago and still do even if it only Dolby pro-logic I like vintage Dolby soundtracks.:p

JBL 4645
01-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Found a link that was hiding under one of those Klingon clocking devices! I don't give up looking that easily!:p

http://www.fleamarketstore.com/us/2-14978/fosgate.htm

Model 3a
There are some cosmetic differences on the front panel
http://www.fleamarketstore.com/us/4-300517100774-14978/fosgate_model_three_3a_surround_proc_harman_avp1a. htm

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff520/spongebob0227/benji467.jpg?t=1294208363

I was just thinking the Fosgate model 4a and Harman AVP1a there kinder like the Cobra 148 GTL-DX that I used to own and the Snake is classic CB radio with a look-alike Superstar 360.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR6KILEOtOaKFHy2-NoVbGWdJRfuWmA5SU8eQYAgxuzUvPId2C

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXvZqHOSTNUIOmxLSMSefxKB3SLnH6X WCeoRwLZkpAJRqdS0F7bA

I’m 90% thinking about getting another Snake and getting back on the rig after a 27 absence from the CB. I like to do some modulating! :D

This is my idea of home-base Cobra 148 GTL-THX with 1million watts output! The CB’rs are listening!:D

Titanium Dome
01-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Four sub outs with level adjustments and prompts to put them in the correct places--far ahead of its time! :yes:

JBL 4645
01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Four sub outs with level adjustments and prompts to put them in the correct places--far ahead of its time! :yes:

Yes the sub outputs was bit of thinking around the table as to what the model should have or what might be required from it from a users point of view.

JBL 4645
01-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Harman Kardon AVP1a has arrived via Royal Mail boxed and wrapped up like the mummy.

I was kinder surprised by the weight when the postman handed it over.

I’ve never seen so many fragile labels stuck on box before!:D

Unwrapping the layers of tape and cardboard that was obviously costumed made for the unit as the original box must be long gone by now. I have no completes just as long as it was boxed up safely.

JBL 4645
01-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Bubble wrapped nice done.

JBL 4645
01-25-2011, 08:05 AM
The unit didn’t come with mains 3pin kittle power lead, no problem I have a few spear leads in the bedroom.

Wow I didn’t know it was this deep? It measured in at 14” a little shy over Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select main AVR when positioned flush with the front.

The seller pm and told me he was going to put a colour brochure with it as it turns out its Fosgate Model 3a brochure.

JBL 4645
01-25-2011, 08:15 AM
After powering the unit up for short test without any audio connections done as I wanted to see the fairy LED lights illuminate.

I’ve had to remove the Yamaha DRS-70Pro to one side as the, XLR leads from the Behringer DCX2496 are cut a bit short and was tensing (I need to get these leads re-cut to equal lengths of 1 to 1.5 meters).

Once the unit was placed on-a-top the Kenwood main AVR I started to unplug the leads and connect up the input from the Pioneer DV-515 DVD player using the analogue Lt-Rt outputs to LD video mode on the AVP1a.

Unplugged all the leads from the Kenwood and plugged them up to the AVP1a front left/right front centre and side surrounds, using the sub mono front on the JBL 4645.

I have two other active powered subs not sure what to do with them at the moment as I’m merely testing the AVP1a out.

JBL 4645
01-25-2011, 08:34 AM
I thought I’d use a simple Dolby stereo 4.2.4 matrix only DVD thou any DVD or even bluray down-mixed to 4.2.4 matrix, would give satisfactory results, I got out Leviathan (1989).

It took a bit of time to suss out why I couldn’t hear the centre while disc played in menu mode. Oh it’s the centre button on the AVP1a that acts as (centre phantom if only using two fronts).

Once I got all channels running I stated the film up and after remembering (the input level needs to be set to around Ref 0 level) it was peaking a bit high but wasn’t distorting at any time.

It would appear I need a remote if, I can find a Fostgate Model3a or Harman Kardon AVP1a remote to enable some of the other functions. Its not critical but the remote would be needed or some remote control number commands to program into a learning remote of some sort?

At the moment I’m just enjoying this vintage HK.

I’m thinking of using the AVR1a later on as Dolby-EX processor (might perform better than Pioneer VSP-200?) :) until I get a new AVR to support Dolby TrueHD dtshdma 8channel and THX I’d like to use the AVP1a as vintage processor connected to internal inputs.

Well not sure if I want to keep the box thou I’d keep the bubble-wrap might come in handy for packing other items in future.

hjames
01-25-2011, 08:50 AM
The manual is available on the Harman Kardon website ...

http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/Brands/harmankardon/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/OwnersManual/AVP-1a%20OM.pdf

but it DOESN'T look like they have the Remote listed for it ...

In another site, a member said: "the Fosgate Audionics models 3A is rebranded as Harman Kardon AVP1A".

So - maybe you can get a Fosgate remote if you can't find the Harman remote?

JBL 4645
01-25-2011, 10:22 AM
The manual is available on the Harman Kardon website ...

http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/Brands/harmankardon/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/OwnersManual/AVP-1a%20OM.pdf

but it DOESN'T look like they have the Remote listed for it ...

In another site, a member said: "the Fosgate Audionics models 3A is rebranded as Harman Kardon AVP1A".

So - maybe you can get a Fosgate remote if you can't find the Harman remote?

I doubt there would its nearly 20 years old since first production I think 1994 (17 years ago) as there is an approved label dated on the back that says (94).

That’s the same manual the user sent me via email.

Well I’ve looked around and nothing as of yet unless some other folks have the units I can’t see the sense in selling the unit, just because its obsolete doesn’t mean it can’t be used for some other means?

Sooty, as been going nuts since, the parcel arrived and hasn’t calmed down in 3 hours now. He meows pretending he wants to use the litter tray then makes a sly move towards the kitchen for food and he has food in his bowl.

Cat jealously is what I’m sensing. He thinks he’s not getting enough attention hugs and cuddles. He sleeps right next to me and gets plenty of hugs and cuddles when I’m relaxing. He just wants to play. I’m surprised he hasn’t been biting on the empty box?

Got it! I know what I can try thou its long sort is pm Harman and ask if they have spare remotes in warehouse thou its long shot and may seem doubtful.

I’ve connected up the other two surround channels thou its more of the same as the sides sent to rear back. I have a CD that has matrix pink noise signals including anti-phase for the surrounds as I need to steadily calibrate all channels I think there’s an all-channel pink noise on the CD?

Also the HK gets fairly warm is this, normal anyone? The main AVR doesn’t get even near as warm thou mild heat rising from beneath the Kenwood will be adding bit of heat into the HK.

I might take a look under the hood sometime later, to see if there’s room to fit a small pc fan inside at slow rate to blow a little cooling around inside.