Did you not get the memo? :rotfl:

Sometimes optimism simply isn't enough.

Yeah, yeah "but it's all we got man!"

Valentin
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM
:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::crying:

Maron Horonzakz
01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Is,nt this the first year of JBL MEXICO ?

JBL 4645
01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Well I’d like to see a plastic JBL with the most the JBL control 5 Jubilee Supreme series. Kneel before control 5.:D

Mr. Widget
01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Is,nt this the first year of JBL MEXICO ?Not exactly... they have been building some of the cabinets and some drivers there for years.

Widget

4313B
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Is,nt this the first year of JBL MEXICO ?The new 4365 has the distinction of being the first large format JBL Studio Monitor to be made exclusively outside the United States (Made in Mexico).

Valentin
01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Could you post the 4365 tech papers

form the Graff's posted some time ago it seemed a very smooth and extended freq response

did stereo sound mag put the info out

Rolf
01-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Don't you fellows think that the speakers can be made with the same quality in Mexico as in the US?

Just wondering.

P.S.

Good luck in Mexico with the fight between the State vs the "Drug barons".

jcrobso
01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Don't you fellows think that the speakers can be made with the same quality in Mexico as in the US?

Just wondering.

P.S.

Yes they can make good products, IF there is an emphasis on Quality.
I have limited edition Telecaster, the all the parts were made and finished in Mexico, but the assembly of the guitar was in the US. The quality of the parts is top notch.
But even Fender realized the need for US made guitars, they cost about 3~5 times more than the Mex ones, but they SELL!

Valentin
01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
the H driver has been done for many years in Mexico

the Revel concerta line has been done in Mexico and many others

65 year is a great spec hope Gregs team makes another great icon

probably he will be retiring soon ( he surly deserves a great commemorative product with his name in a template )

tarior
01-13-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't care how good the quality is. I won't pay JBL price for outsourced product. I hope many more folks will share that sentiment.
As far as I'm concerned, if they can't make their products here, I just assume they go out of business.

Rolf
01-13-2011, 09:48 AM
??? :blink: What do you mean?

I don't care how good the quality is. I won't pay JBL price for outsourced product. I hope many more folks will share that sentiment.
As far as I'm concerned, if they can't make their products here, I just assume they go out of business.

4313B
01-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Don't you fellows think that the speakers can be made with the same quality in Mexico as in the US?Someday. Practice makes perfect. America has exported its technology and expertise so I don't see why not. China just came up with the J-20. They didn't just happen on it while digging for coal... that's exported American technology and expertise. I'm anxious to see if these fighters will be available at Walmart prices because I want one. :yes:

As far as I'm concerned, if they can't make their products here, I just assume they go out of business.Yep. That pretty much sums up my viewpoint.

the H driver has been done for many years in Mexico

the Revel concerta line has been done in Mexico and many others

65 year is a great spec hope Gregs team makes another great icon

probably he will be retiring soon ( he surly deserves a great commemorative product with his name in a template )
Harman International Deepens Roots in China with Global Launch

HARMAN Management and Board Meet Top China Stakeholders to Review and Expedite Growth Strategy

HARMAN unveils $100 million second-phase investment plan for China

Get the picture? Greg does...

The Northridge facility will probably end up looking like the facilities scattered all across the American rustbelt...

But even Fender realized the need for US made guitars, they cost about 3~5 times more than the Mex ones, but they SELL!Yeah but that's going to come to an end too if those in power get their way and finally kill off the middle-class once and for all.

Mr. Widget
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah but that's going to come to an end too if those in power get their way and finally kill off the middle-class once and for all.Now, now... that is a political statement and we all know where they lead. Besides no one wants to kill off the middle class... our demise is simply collateral damage.

So, 65 years! Hard to believe the Everest II role out was that long ago!!

Widget

Titanium Dome
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I look at my K2 S9900s as the 64th Anniversary speaker. It's a statement speaker, and it's the end of 64 years of JBL manufacturing in the US.

Anything that comes out of China or Mexico should commemorate the years of manufacture there as reflecting pride on their own accomplishments.

4313B
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
So, 65 years! Hard to believe the Everest II role out was that long ago!!Yeah... it looks like I am forever stuck in the Everest II era. I'm sure they will outlive me should I decide to keep them. I'm awfully tempted to sell them and buy some indigenous Tannoy's. I've been going through this debate since this time last year when I first got the word about JBL. Five DC12i's in surround with a pair of 1500 Arrays is awfully tempting. Obviously it is a pretty tough decision for me. :rotfl:

There have been rumors about an Everest II replacement but that's a few years off. 70th Anniversary maybe? :dont-know:

JBLAddict
01-13-2011, 12:21 PM
well then, as they're saying at the plant in MX.....Feliz Cumpleanos JBL! :birthday: :D

JBLAddict
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Just wondering.

P.S.

I live in SoCal because the company I work for does our semiconductor manufacturing in MX, employing over 2K people. The product is highly technical and we are the global quality leader in our industry. The reason is because the company emphasizes quality, and manages it into production, otherwise we would have closed shop long ago. In the same area, you have Bosch, Honeywell, Sony, Toyota, International Rectifier,,,,the list goes on, so that should answer whether product "can be" built with quality in that location.

It's up to JBL and how they manage the operation, and what they emphasize. That said no mgmt philosphy can replace the kind of personal commitment and employer/employee loyalty that has existed at the Northridge site for so long. That intangible could cannot be managed in...

Rolf
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi.

Do you own a pair of Everest II?

Yeah... it looks like I am forever stuck in the Everest II era. I'm sure they will outlive me should I decide to keep them. I'm awfully tempted to sell them and buy some indigenous Tannoy's. I've been going through this debate since this time last year when I first got the word about JBL. Five DC12i's in surround with a pair of 1500 Arrays is awfully tempting. Obviously it is a pretty tough decision for me. :rotfl:

There have been rumors about an Everest II replacement but that's a few years off. 70th Anniversary maybe? :dont-know:

Rolf
01-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I understand all this. I think it is a shame that there is no more US JBL's. BUT! As always: Money roles, and if you don't make more profit than last year ... Close it. Almost every company wants MORE, not satisfied with a profit that is enough to make a descent living to all in the company. What i#%t's fools people are.

I live in SoCal because the company I work for does our semiconductor manufacturing in MX, employing over 2K people. The product is highly technical and we are the global quality leader in our industry. The reason is because the company emphasizes quality, and manages it into production, otherwise we would have closed shop long ago. In the same area, you have Bosch, Honeywell, Sony, Toyota, International Rectifier,,,,the list goes on, so that should answer whether product "can be" built with quality in that location.

It's up to JBL and how they manage the operation, and what they emphasize. That said no mgmt philosphy can replace the kind of personal commitment and employer/employee loyalty that has existed at the Northridge site for so long. That intangible could cannot be managed in...

Mr. Widget
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Almost every company wants MORE, not satisfied with a profit that is enough to make a descent living to all in the company. What i#%t's fools people are.Yep... maybe someday we will get a bit smarter and realize that continual growth is ultimately unsustainable.

Widget

Ducatista47
01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
I understand all this. I think it is a shame that there is no more US JBL's. BUT! As always: Money roles, and if you don't make more profit than last year ... Close it. Almost every company wants MORE, not satisfied with a profit that is enough to make a descent living to all in the company. What i#%t's fools people are.
I would love to see concern over market share replaced by appreciation for happy employees, happy customers, happy communities and satisfaction in great products. In a culture where all the money goes to the top and greed is rampant, I see little hope for this.

Ben & Jerry's' - when they were owned by the named individuals - five to one income disparage limit was never repeated, as far as I know. Greed can kill a society, but no one seems to be taking the threat seriously. It can obviously kill a corporation, unless they were allowed to become "too big to fail," of course. :banghead:

I saw the main guy from AIG on Charlie Rose one night. He was clueless about any problem with a corporate entity being that large.

Clark

Rolf
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
:applaud::applaud::yes::yes:

Yep... maybe someday we will get a bit smarter and realize that continual growth is ultimately unsustainable.

Widget

Rolf
01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Yea. The money goes to the top. They never get satisfied, and "the man on the floor" get little or nothing.

But, I believe we are getting into political questions here, so I stop.

Just a last thing: If everyone have a good life, enough money to pay their bills, and can live good: What is the point of raising prices and therefore the salary? Let us stop this madness.

I would love to see concern over market share replaced by appreciation for happy employees, happy customers, happy communities and satisfaction in great products. In a culture where all the money goes to the top and greed is rampant, I see little hope for this.

Ben & Jerry's' - when they were owned by the named individuals - five to one income disparage limit was never repeated, as far as I know. Greed can kill a society, but no one seems to be taking the threat seriously. It can obviously kill a corporation, unless they were allowed to become "too big to fail," of course. :banghead:

I saw the main guy from AIG on Charlie Rose one night. He was clueless about any problem with a corporate entity being that large.

Clark

Ducatista47
01-13-2011, 02:21 PM
But, I believe we are getting into political questions here, so I stop.

Don't worry, Rolf. Discussions of corporate culture, as we call it here, are not about politics. USA corporations are not part of the government.

Clark

Maron Horonzakz
01-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Some one on this thread mentioned the Chinese J 20...fighter,,,, Its old technoligy..It might be low observable,, But like a radar image of a elephant,,,I cant give you the details yet,, JBL audio tec,,Is still ahead of many companys,,When they stop that they will lose..

MikeBrewster77
01-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Oh, where to even begin...? I promised myself I wouldn't comment, but hell, if I had any self control I wouldn't be expecting a few boxes from Harman & JBL over the next coupla days. :p

Globalization is a reality. American cars are made overseas, and then shipped back to the States (and everywhere else in between) but at the end of the day, the company is American, the taxes on their worldwide income get paid to Uncle Sam, and hopefully they are used to perpetuate the well being of the country and its citizens -- optimistic, I know, but hear me out. The reverse happens as well; Honda,Kia, etc., all assemble cars in the states, employ Americans, we buy them, and their taxes go to their respective Uncles (I don't know who they are -- I'm not quite that well versed culturally...Uncle Kim Jong Il???) Some of their taxes even get paid here, and I'm sure the reverse is true as well.

Hopefully it's a wash....hopefully. I don't think we fully understand the ramifications of a global economy yet because it's a relatively new phenomenon insofar as exactly how interconnected we've become. I suppose only time will tell. I won't get into worker exploitation, because that likely would become political, and I think all of the salient points have already been made.

That said, I myself have struggled with my brand loyalty as the news came out of Northridge. It -- amongst several other factors -- has been part of the reason for my absence from this forum for a bit now. As an example, I was always a MOPAR guy until Daimler got involved. Frankly, that totally killed things for me and I became a Ford loyalist. My brand loyalty is hard to break, but I was raised in a typically blue collar "Buy American" mentality. That said, I also understand the reality of a global economy and am [reluctantly, one might say] coming around. Because, it truly is reality, and whether I or anyone else likes it, it's simply not going to change.

I have mixed feelings at best. I'm happy JBL still exists. I'm fairly certain Jim Lansing himself never even remotely envisioned that his initials would grace as many homes and prestigious venues as they do today. On the other hand, I'm disappointed that the organization is now part of a corporate conglomerate that seems to have stripped the very cultural essence of what exemplified JBL. More than anything, I'm frustrated that they've virtually abandoned the US market. To paraphrase, a comment was made earlier that if JBL wasn't going to manufacture in the States any longer, then essentially screw them. I'm not sure I'm there, but I will say if they continue to abandon this market in terms of failing to offer some sort of middle ground between $5 ear buds and $50K installations, then I too will likely jump on the screw them bandwagon. Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I've heard the arguments that the market just isn't there and so it was a corporate decision to focus on more lucrative geographies, but I call BS on that. Other companies are successfully marketing mid-to-high end components in this country and enjoying their requisite trips to the bank. Asia might offer you scale, but there's still some market share available here in the States, boys.

So while this is possibly the worst birthday card I've ever sent, Happy 65th JBL!!! As you enter your 66th year, try not to forget your roots.

caladois
01-13-2011, 11:28 PM
And what about a JBL heritage northridge museum ? That sound good to me :)

Ducatista47
01-14-2011, 12:18 AM
And what about a JBL heritage northridge museum ? That sound good to me :)
That is a nice idea. Most heritage museums tend to be located where a company started, not where they turned the lights out. While the facade could stand period reconstruction, I think 6900 McKinley Ave in South Los Angeles would be a more appropriate site, if it ever became available. It would also be appropriate to house Altec history there as well. Which would be nice!

An example of such a historical display is a few miles from where I grew up in the Chicago area. When I was in school in Park Ridge, there was a McDonald's restaurant in the next town, Des Plaines. I can remember when its sign proclaimed how many thousands of burgers had been sold. It was Store No. 1, the first Ray Kroc franchise (the first McDonald's being four, I think, McDonald's Brothers sites in California). It has been restored, inside and out, to 1955 equipment, signage and architecture. There are Fifties cars parked outside. It is not a working restaurant, but a museum. I have been there and despite being a vegetarian, I must say it is pretty cool! The place is not always open, so if you are in the area arrange to be admitted if necessary. You have GOT to see the inside.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11370

Way off topic: If you make it to the area, don't miss the Choo-Choo diner. I went there sometimes as a kid when my parents could afford to eat out. This is a newer location than the fifties tiny diner, but the rest is the same.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11515

Original Ray Kroc McDonald's, Food Train Here stands the original Ray Kroc McDonald's, but who cares about that? Three blocks south of that is the Choo-Choo Restaurant, a Des Plaines institution for something like 50 years. A very small diner featuring classic American food like burgers and fries has the distinction of being the only restaurant around that delivers food by train. If you sit at the counter, a very old Lionel train will deliver your food right to you. The menu is badly printed, and the decor is horrible, frankly a dream come true. Let the kids ride the nostalgic black horse, it's only a dime.

Clark

PS there is a VERY neat serve by train restaurant in Door County, Wisconsin, PC Junction. Not just for kids & nostalgia freaks. This train delivers beer as well as root beer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PElhDTOb5Z8

polar_bear_0104
01-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Oh, where to even begin...? I promised myself I wouldn't comment, but hell, if I had any self control I wouldn't be expecting a few boxes from Harman & JBL over the next coupla days. :p

Globalization is a reality. American cars are made overseas, and then shipped back to the States (and everywhere else in between) but at the end of the day, the company is American, the taxes on their worldwide income get paid to Uncle Sam, and hopefully they are used to perpetuate the well being of the country and its citizens -- optimistic, I know, but hear me out. The reverse happens as well; Honda,Kia, etc., all assemble cars in the states, employ Americans, we buy them, and their taxes go to their respective Uncles (I don't know who they are -- I'm not quite that well versed culturally...Uncle Kim Jong Il???) Some of their taxes even get paid here, and I'm sure the reverse is true as well.

Hopefully it's a wash....hopefully. I don't think we fully understand the ramifications of a global economy yet because it's a relatively new phenomenon insofar as exactly how interconnected we've become. I suppose only time will tell. I won't get into worker exploitation, because that likely would become political, and I think all of the salient points have already been made.

That said, I myself have struggled with my brand loyalty as the news came out of Northridge. It -- amongst several other factors -- has been part of the reason for my absence from this forum for a bit now. As an example, I was always a MOPAR guy until Daimler got involved. Frankly, that totally killed things for me and I became a Ford loyalist. My brand loyalty is hard to break, but I was raised in a typically blue collar "Buy American" mentality. That said, I also understand the reality of a global economy and am [reluctantly, one might say] coming around. Because, it truly is reality, and whether I or anyone else likes it, it's simply not going to change.

I have mixed feelings at best. I'm happy JBL still exists. I'm fairly certain Jim Lansing himself never even remotely envisioned that his initials would grace as many homes and prestigious venues as they do today. On the other hand, I'm disappointed that the organization is now part of a corporate conglomerate that seems to have stripped the very cultural essence of what exemplified JBL. More than anything, I'm frustrated that they've virtually abandoned the US market. To paraphrase, a comment was made earlier that if JBL wasn't going to manufacture in the States any longer, then essentially screw them. I'm not sure I'm there, but I will say if they continue to abandon this market in terms of failing to offer some sort of middle ground between $5 ear buds and $50K installations, then I too will likely jump on the screw them bandwagon. Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I've heard the arguments that the market just isn't there and so it was a corporate decision to focus on more lucrative geographies, but I call BS on that. Other companies are successfully marketing mid-to-high end components in this country and enjoying their requisite trips to the bank. Asia might offer you scale, but there's still some market share available here in the States, boys.

So while this is possibly the worst birthday card I've ever sent, Happy 65th JBL!!! As you enter your 66th year, try not to forget your roots.

Well said Mike. As a worker for a company recently acquired in the name of globalization, all these resonates with me.

On topic, yeah, a 1400 Array SE, would be terrific. I'll definitely save up to get one.

4313B
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi.

Do you own a pair of Everest II?About a dozen forum members were very fortunate to be able to obtain the components over the course of the past five years. It's been a pretty long haul fraught with one problem after another. For me personally, it's been anything but fun.
Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I've heard the arguments that the market just isn't there and so it was a corporate decision to focus on more lucrative geographies, but I call BS on that. Other companies are successfully marketing mid-to-high end components in this country and enjoying their requisite trips to the bank. Asia might offer you scale, but there's still some market share available here in the States, boys.I don't call BS on it, it's obvious that they just flat out don't have the talent to market here.

I had to laugh when that one Dealer in Canada said that they wouldn't let him sell 4365's. What bright bulb made that determination? The only thing I can think of is that the 4365 must be so full of toxic chemicals that the Canadian government won't allow it in the country. What other reason could there be? Exclusive markets? Go global all the way or go home...

1audiohack
01-14-2011, 10:40 AM
This year JBL will be 65 year old :applaud: ??????

For me it's kind of like walking the Strip here in Vegas and seeing Elvis. A bit of excitement that some part of it is still alive and yet saddened by what is nomore.

After getting those junk D16R2405's that were made in Mexico, it's kind of hard to party when the only music I hear playing is taps.

Rolf
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I have the opportunity to get a pair. Will you lend me some cash?

About a dozen forum members were very fortunate to be able to obtain the components over the course of the past five years. It's been a pretty long haul fraught with one problem after another. For me personally, it's been anything but fun.I don't call BS on it, it's obvious that they just flat out don't have the talent to market here.

I had to laugh when that one Dealer in Canada said that they wouldn't let him sell 4365's. What bright bulb made that determination? The only thing I can think of is that the 4365 must be so full of toxic chemicals that the Canadian government won't allow it in the country. What other reason could there be? Exclusive markets? Go global all the way or go home...

4313B
01-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I have the opportunity to get a pair. Will you lend me some cash?Your banks aren't lending over there either???

hjames
01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I have the opportunity to get a pair. Will you lend me some cash?

Dang Rolf - I think most of us were sure you already had a pair ...:D
If not, you sure had us fooled!

Oh, a pair ... of EVEREST ... sorry, misunderstood

Rolf
01-15-2011, 08:19 AM
I have enough loan in the bank as it is.:o:

Your banks aren't lending over there either???

Rolf
01-15-2011, 08:21 AM
I have never said that I have Everest II?:blink: Have I?:blink: If I had a pair I surly would post here on the forum of my experiance.

Dang Rolf - I think most of us were sure you already had a pair ...:D
If not, you sure had us fooled!

4313B
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
January 25, 2011 08:01 AM Eastern Time

HARMAN Expands to Northern China with New Technology Center

SHANGHAI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--HARMAN, the global leader in premium audio and infotainment (NYSE: HAR), announced continued progress in its latest $100 million investment phase in the People’s Republic of China, with the formation of the legal entity to support HARMAN’s expansion into the northeastern city of Dandong. This follows an initial investment phase of $75 million in 2007-2008 to establish manufacturing and R&D centers in China.

“With continued support from the Government of Dandong, we are making rapid progress toward the launch of a new northern base for our Chinese operations, and a new global hub that will help supply premium audio and electronics to China and the world.”
.Dandong, located in the Liaoning Province, will be the home to HARMAN’s latest manufacturing and research center. The custom-built, 43,000 square meter facility will be HARMAN’s most technologically advanced, featuring dual operations for both automotive electronics and professional audio systems. Construction began in October 2010, marked by a special groundbreaking ceremony with officials from the Dandong Government. The facility is expected to come on-line in July 2011, and an advanced training center has already been established to ensure employees are fully trained in time for the plant opening.

“Through strategic planning and focused efforts, HARMAN is making tremendous gains in China toward our growth and global footprint goals,” said Dinesh C. Paliwal, the Company’s Chairman, President and CEO. “With continued support from the Government of Dandong, we are making rapid progress toward the launch of a new northern base for our Chinese operations, and a new global hub that will help supply premium audio and electronics to China and the world.”

From the new Dandong tech facility, HARMAN will conduct development, engineering, and manufacturing to meet the growing demand for advanced audio and infotainment solutions, particularly for China, which has become the world’s largest automotive market. The Company serves global automotive brands including Audi, BMW, Chrysler, FIAT, Ferrari, General Motors, Hyundai, Lexus, Land Rover, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Toyota, and Volkswagen. The second operation in Dandong will house engineering for audio electronics and loudspeakers sold under a range of HARMAN’s premium brands in the Professional and Consumer sectors.

With 1200 current employees across its Chinese operations, the Dandong facility will double the size of our employee footprint to more than 2500 employees by the time the technology center comes online. The Company also operates its flagship HARMAN retail showroom in Shanghai’s Sinan Mansions development. The Company’s $100 million investment plan follows its successful participation as technology supplier and an official sponsor to the 2010 Shanghai World Expo, and similar landmark audio installations at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and 2009 China National Day Celebrations.

HARMAN (www.harman.com (http://www.harman.com)) designs, manufactures and markets a wide range of audio and infotainment solutions for the automotive, consumer and professional markets – supported by 15 leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon® and Mark Levinson®. The Company is admired by audiophiles across multiple generations and supports leading professional entertainers and the venues where they perform. More than 20 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and infotainment systems. HARMAN has a workforce of about 11,000 people across the Americas, Europe and Asia, and reported sales of $3.5 billion for the twelve months ended September 30, 2010. The Company’s shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol NYSE:HAR.

HAR-C

tarior
01-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Makes ya' long for the good ol' days of Beatrice Foods.:(
I can think of a few companies who still make speakers in the US. They'll be the ones I recommend to customers who come to my shop.

MikeBrewster77
01-27-2011, 09:11 PM
HARMAN Expands to Northern China with New Technology Center

Well, there's a lot to say here.

It's amazing to me the emphasis that's placed on automotive, seemingly above all else. Any time different divisions/lines of the company are mentioned, automotive is always the first.

"Global leader" certainly conveys a certain sense of inevitable hubris. As the kids these days say, slow your role Harman -- you ain't all that and a bag of potato chips just yet. If you're still not convinced, compare your top line to Sony's and then get back to me.

“Through strategic planning and focused efforts, HARMAN is making tremendous" cost cuts, plain and simple. You're running a business, Paliwal -- be transparent about what you're trying to achieve. Seriously, it's OK. We all get the whole leverage-globalisation-as-a-concept-to-conceal-the-tactical-decision-to-source-the-cheapest-labor-possible model. Just fess up to it -- hell, if nothing else it will be good for your stock price.

"With continued support from the Government of Dandong, we are making rapid progress toward the launch of" continued human rights abuses.

"The Company is admired by audiophiles across multiple generations" ... yeah, keep believing that. Hate to break it to you, but that's becoming a questionable proposition.

"The Company’s shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange" ... I think it's about time you just went ahead and registered with the SSE.

At least JBL is still mentioned as a leading brand :dont-know:

Alright -- I'm done.

Titanium Dome
01-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Where's the other press release?

You know, this one:

July 31, 2010

Harman abandons its roots and founder's values in pursuit of higher profits and larger executive bonuses.

Chairman, CEO, and exalted king Dinesh C. Paliwal--known as the DiPper to his close associates and the big DiC to the rest of the world--said, "America is so last-century! We had to pay people what they were worth to build quality products which we sold at high prices. In the 21st Century, it's the four C's for Harman, baby: Cxxxx, Coxxxxxxx exploited workers, Chxxx manufacturing, and Cxxx! Loads of it! We still can charge high prices for more cheaply made stuff, and I get a big bonus!" Then he put his middle finger up his nose, pulled out a big booger and stuck it in his mouth, all the while laughing uproariously and singing, "That's for U (you), USA. Buy Harman!"

1audiohack
01-28-2011, 08:19 AM
That press release was for internal circulation only! How did you get that?!?

4313B
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
That press release was for internal circulation only! How did you get that?!?That's funny! :p

Google it...

richluvsound
01-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I had to laugh when that one Dealer in Canada said that they wouldn't let him sell 4365's. What bright bulb made that determination? The only thing I can think of is that the 4365 must be so full of toxic chemicals that the Canadian government won't allow it in the country. What other reason could there be? Exclusive markets? Go global all the way or go home...[/QUOTE]

What .... Canada Protectionistic ?........ :blink:

It still has 2nd child syndrome !

Valentin
08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
I heard some rumors of a new active model

I now Harman has been playing with the idea of active and DSP corrected two way

hope thy market it as a JBL with Mark Levinson electronics

here is a graff of a prototype, now this is what hightech can do

grumpy
08-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Interesting. Is that showing flat directivity down to below 100Hz?
or are the curves separated for viewing ease? (e.g., DSP/no DSP)

-6dB at 60Hz is, I suppose, to be ignored for the moment...

Valentin
08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
i get your point

my guess is it was measured in haf space (thats a wild guess)

still this Graff is serious engineering

moparfan
08-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Other companies have gone this way for their professional monitors. The makers of the antimode 8033 have a speaker that incorporates automatic correction for the bass frequencies also in addition to crossover functions.

Valentin
08-05-2011, 05:04 PM
yes indeed

JBL was up there with the DMS-1 15 years ago
what happened :banghead: who knows

this Speaker 300servo looks good and the price is not that bad and their is all-sow the Grimm audio LS. expensive

soon a lot of speakers are going to be dsp controlled

JBL is late too the party again from my point view hope they make it up with a great line up of products hifi and pro and then consumer.

They shure now what to do and not to do to the speakers response.

Mr. Widget
08-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I was at Northridge all day Thurs. and Fri. for a training class on using their ARCOS measurement system (JBL Synthesis Calibration) and saw dozes of similar plots. This is the type of graph that they get using their spin-o-rama in the anechoic chamber taking 60-70 mic positions... the plot shows on axis, listening window, first reflections, sound power, and directivity. It is JBL/Harman's current state of the art measurement system that they use to measure and develop all new loudspeakers... they have also measured most of the competition and I would bet because of it they know more about the competitor's products than the designers of those products. ;)

As for a new DSP two way? I didn't hear about it, but I did see and hear about numerous other goodies that will be coming out over the next year or two... no, they are not going to roll up the tent with the Everest II and K2-S9900. There are plans for more TOTL as well as more affordable but amazingly good products to be rolled out.

Widget

grumpy
08-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Saw a presentation there, showing those plots. I couldn't remember all of what each plot line represented... Thx. I hope there's a big usability and product integration improvement over HATS :) worked well, but what a struggle!

Valentin
08-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I was at Northridge all day Thurs. and Fri. for a training class on using their ARCOS measurement system (JBL Synthesis Calibration) and saw dozes of similar plots. This is the type of graph that they get using their spin-o-rama in the anechoic chamber taking 60-70 mic positions... the plot shows on axis, listening window, first reflections, sound power, and directivity. It is JBL/Harman's current state of the art measurement system that they use to measure and develop all new loudspeakers... they have also measured most of the competition and I would bet because of it they know more about the competitor's products than the designers of those products. ;)

As for a new DSP two way? I didn't hear about it, but I did see and hear about numerous other goodies that will be coming out over the next year or two... no, they are not going to roll up the tent with the Everest II and K2-S9900. There are plans for more TOTL as well as more affordable but amazingly good products to be rolled out.

Widget

Bravo maybe 66 year is the number

Mr. Widget
08-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I hope there's a big usability and product integration improvement over HATS :) worked well, but what a struggle!ARCOS is a GUI that is placed over HATS (Harman Audio Test System)... so the power of HATS is still there, but with ARCOS the process is logically streamlined for system measurement and calibration.

Widget

scarpi
08-14-2011, 08:25 AM

I agree. For a number of my own reasons, I don't buy audio gear made in China. JBL should come back to Northridge and put some Americans to work building high quality speakers.

BMWCCA
08-14-2011, 08:44 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tarior http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=303129#post303129)
I'm going to assume he meant: "As far as I'm concerned, if they can't make their products here, I'd just as soon they go out of business."

Thanks, that's been bothering me for months. I feel much better now! :banghead:

grumpy
08-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Re HATS and ARCOS, I was mistakenly referring to HATS, when I meant DACS... the older custom proprietary box/system I saw in use at TiDome's place quite awhile back.
If I have it right now, HATS is still proprietary, but based on BSS BLU dsp hardware with ARCOS providing a more installer-friendly user interface. Hoping that clarifies my comments earlier in the thread.

Valentin
08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
yep