PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions...........

RIGGED
12-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I have an older model Onkyo, the TX DS 939 Dolby AC-3 recevier and I'm having difficulty getting the darn thing to play Dolby AC3. The manual says that I need what's known as an AC-3RF input; I did some research and the web talks about laserdisc players with such an output. Are there any DVD players with that output? Currently, I'm using the digital input but I can't get the AC3 to work.

I have a pair of LX55 speakers, both have foam rot. Since I live 26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, I was considering using Butyl rubbers instead of foam, has anyone had success doing this?

Thanks fellas,

RIGGED

HCSGuy
12-29-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm running off memory here, so forgive me if my advice is not perfect. The AC-3RF input on your receiver is only for an old laserdisc with an AC-3 RF output. There is no other use for this from any component. However, your TX-DS939 should have other digital inputs (Optical/Toslink and Coax) that are capable of handling a bitstream dolby digital signal. Some receivers let you assign these around to different inputs, so make sure yours are assigned to whatever input you turn the receiver to for listening. Also, go into the setup menu of your DVD player and make sure the digital output is set to bitstream and not PCM. Many of them default to PCM output which your receiver will decode with Dolby Pro-Logic.

If you change your surrounds to butyl rubber, expect the performance changes from a heavier cone - your transient response will be slower and freqency response at the top of the drivers range will roll off sooner. I have not done this, so my input is purely theoretical.

Hope this helps!

RIGGED
12-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm running off memory here, so forgive me if my advice is not perfect. The AC-3RF input on your receiver is only for an old laserdisc with an AC-3 RF output. There is no other use for this from any component. However, your TX-DS939 should have other digital inputs (Optical/Toslink and Coax) that are capable of handling a bitstream dolby digital signal. Some receivers let you assign these around to different inputs, so make sure yours are assigned to whatever input you turn the receiver to for listening. Also, go into the setup menu of your DVD player and make sure the digital output is set to bitstream and not PCM. Many of them default to PCM output which your receiver will decode with Dolby Pro-Logic.

If you change your surrounds to butyl rubber, expect the performance changes from a heavier cone - your transient response will be slower and freqency response at the top of the drivers range will roll off sooner. I have not done this, so my input is purely theoretical.

Hope this helps!

You were dead on, I didn't even think to change the settings of the DVD player-I was too focused on the receiver itself.
I've been under a rock when it came to Surround Sound, I'm a stereo guy more than anything, which explains my latency to upgrade; heck, how many channels are in surround now-10?
I thought I had it working several months back when I connected my dvd player/receiver via the optical input, it was only till I looked for the manual online and found out the truth.
What a difference Dolby Digital makes!

Regarding the speaker surround issue, I kinda thought it would alter the sound, just didn't know how much and whether or not it would be bearable. I purchased a dehumidifier some time back and I find myself dumping 3 pints of water down the drain on a daily basis- It makes a huge difference on the comfort level inside my home.

I really enjoy the sound the LX55 speakers produce-I guess I can buy a larger dehumidifer and have them refoamed.

Thanks for the help.

RIGGED