PDA

View Full Version : 044 mesh screen?

super440
12-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I recently picked up another pair of L 112's,there pretty rough,got then almost back in shape . After listening last night for awhile,one of the mesh screens is viberating,I haven't had any of the 044's apart yet. Before I do I wanted to ask,what holds the mesh in place?
How do I tighten it up? Thanks for any and all help...

grumpy
12-11-2010, 11:12 AM
white o-ring.

black rings and grilles (equivalent size/use for other tweeters)
were available as recently as a year ago (or so).

super440
12-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks grumpy: Are they fairly easy to remove and replace?

BMWCCA
12-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Pull out the "o-ring" around the perimeter of the screen. Use a pick of some kind to get a start on it. Pull carefully so it remains as close to one-piece as possible. Doesn't really matter if it breaks because you can still fit it back in place. Once the o-ring is removed, the screens lift out with the only resistance being the attraction of the screen to the magnet.

You might check the screws holding the diaphragm in place (the four on the front) but if your screen are actually what's causing the vibration, then maybe you don't have any o-ring at all! :dont-know:

rdgrimes
12-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I've seen them with no o-ring, and I've seen the o-rings come out in little tiny chunks. Any o-ring of appropriate diameter can be cut and used as long as it's long enough. Or you can piece together a couple as long as the diameter is right. I've still got some that JBL sent me a couple years ago. The main thing is to be sure the screen is pushed down all the way to the bottom, all the way around, before putting the o-ring in. An awl works nicely for grabbing the screen.

JeffW
12-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Mine are held in only with the magnet. I don't think that they'd ever rattle, I bet your noise is something else.

super440
12-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions,and help... Took it apart last night,and it was loose screws holding the diaphragm. Went ahead and did both,viberation is gone. I:applaud:you all.
Thanks....:)

Malfunktion
12-13-2010, 01:38 AM
You are welcome.:)