PDA

View Full Version : JBL Pro III Repair

KaliJBL
12-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I give up. I want to refoam the bass speakers. I took the screws out of the face and can't open the box up. I removed the cross over in the back to see inside, the speakers are held behind the face. The box looks glued together. Anybody remove these speakers from the box before? Thanks.

JBL 4645
12-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Easy there just like most of the JBL control series, you first need to work-out like Arnold Schwarzenegger, :D as it requires muscles tough fingers!

Look at the diagram it’s easy, it’s only a sealant that goes around on the inside that makes it air-tight.

You’d then need a smaller I hope you have smaller allanKey to remove the bass/mid driver.

I’ve had control 1 and 5 apart in less than 2minutes

There is re foam kit on fleaBay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEST-Speaker-Foam-Surround-kit-JBL-Control-1-PRO-III-/350412000128?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item51962ecb80#ht_3204wt_1026

I wonder what the timber balance would be like for matching against the Control on the HF end as the HF tweeter looks similar to one used in the Control 5. I think this model is also discontinued.
:xmas::window:

KaliJBL
12-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Man! You aint kiddin". I think I pulled a muscle. I have 3 pairs of discontinued JBLs. Just can't see myself getting rid of them. This is my "newest" pair. I am surprised the foam eroded on these first. Thanks for the info.

JBL 4645
12-09-2010, 03:23 AM
That’s just typical isn’t it? I think JBL needs their ass kicking and foam :dead_horse: should be BANNED! Rubber is durable ;) wouldn't you agree?

There are rubber edge surrounds for control 5 as and when the time comes, not sure about any rubber surrounds for the smaller JBL series family?

I read somewhere that if you live near to the ocean the foam surrounds deteriorate faster. Isn’t JBL located on west cost near to the ocean?:hmm::D
:xmas::tree:

BMWCCA
01-26-2021, 07:17 PM
I've had a pair of Pro-III Plus for several years that I paid some pocket change for and met the seller at the local Dairy Queen. My kids still call it a Drug Deal! I was very impressed with them and always will be, so when I saw another set locally I asked the seller if the surrounds were in good shape. Apparently he didn't know what I meant and when I got to his house and pulled the grilles, they were completely shot. I prepared to walk away at that but he asked what I would pay for them and I just reacted with "20 bucks" and they were mine.

If I'd known in advance what a pain in the ass these little guys are to re-surround, I'd have left them if he'd offered them for free! The speaker is held to the baffle with little nuts and bolts. The baffle had to be removed to get to the woofer. Splitting the baffle section from the box takes a pry bar to twist in the groove between the sections as there is not only a gasket but the stickiest glue that will still be tacky when dinosaurs once again roam the earth. And the woofers are glued in place in addition to the bolts. And that glue is glopped over the woofer frame it its groove in the baffle plate so you have to use a screwdriver as a lever to pry the frame from the baffle between the opening in the speaker frame and the sturdy plastic sides of the baffle part. Once the glue stretches enough, you can remove the woofer and then the fun begins. The same glue is also used on the woofer gasket over the surround so cleanup is as difficult as any 10-inch JBL driver.

Good thing I like the little guys. I got 2-pairs of surrounds from Rick Cobb after checking my original pair. Those will be next, but I'm not in that big of a hurry. I still have four 128H and two Passive Radiators to do first. Probably time for the 10-inchers in my second set of L80Ts that were redone by JBL decades ago. When will it ever end?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50879675266_5e521dee6b_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50878967618_0dc6eb2083_b.jpg

BMWCCA
01-27-2021, 07:52 AM
All back together this morning and playing nicely on a Crown PowerLine Three through the Pro-III Plus bass module.

They don't sound anywhere near as good as the DCM TimeFrame 600s next to them, but then I paid 5-times as much for those! ;)

SEAWOLF97
01-29-2021, 09:14 AM
My pair are "box queens" , never have even put signal to them.

too many "more deserving" projects. ;)

BMWCCA
01-29-2021, 06:06 PM
My pair are "box queens" , never have even put signal to them.

too many "more deserving" projects. ;)Do you have the "Plus" subwoofer module, too?