PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Center Channel Speaker For L100T

wedowee
12-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Greetings!

I have recently purchased a flat panel screen with a Blu-Ray player and would like to enhance the sound.

I'm using a pair of JBL L100t speakers and a Yahama HTR-5063 digital receiver - 630watts (90w x 7).

From what I've read, the center channel speaker is most important.

Question: Should I stay with the JBL brand to match the L100t' speakers?

If so, which model would be the best fit?

Also, I'd like to add a subwoofer. What brand and model do you suggest?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Don C
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
How about a 4412? That's the pro version of your L100Ts. Its designed to work well mounted sideways, but it will still take up a lot of space. If you do have that space, it would be the ultimate center.

Greetings!

I have recently purchased a flat panel screen with a Blu-Ray player and would like to enhance the sound.

I'm using a pair of JBL L100t speakers and a Yahama HTR-5063 digital receiver - 630watts (90w x 7).

From what I've read, the center channel speaker is most important.

Question: Should I stay with the JBL brand to match the L100t' speakers?

If so, which model would be the best fit?

Also, I'd like to add a subwoofer. What brand and model do you suggest?

Please advise.

Thanks!

wedowee
12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
How about a 4412? That's the pro version of your L100Ts. Its designed to work well mounted sideways, but it will still take up a lot of space. If you do have that space, it would be the ultimate center.

That would be a great fit, but I'm limited on space.

I'm looking for a speaker that would fit in an entertainment system, which an open space of approx 10 inches high and 20 inches wide.

Thanks for responding!!!

brett_s
12-08-2010, 04:56 PM
my father uses a S-center with his l100t and it's not a bad voice match. plus you can find them for about a $100 used.

It's not a overly big speaker either.

Brett

GTekie
12-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Space for a center channel speakers is a problem with most modern HT cabinetry. I have a table type cabinet to support a 55 inch plasma and house my components. It's not deep enough to house premium gear nor is the center shelf wide enough for my LC - 2 ( now consigned to the bedroom ) However I'm using an EC - 25 as the center which does fit. Left and right channels are Sovereigns and the surrounds are all Horizons. I have no complaint with the sound, but knowing that I have a nice LC 2 with a grain that matches the Sovereigns makes me want a new HT cabinet. There are some nice ones out there.
As for a sub, can't say, don't use em'.

Wayniac
12-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I have read your thread with some interest as I too, own a pair of L100ts in need of a center channel. Have you considered a L20t? There is currently a single L20t listed on that auction site for a fair price. I have no affiliation with the aforementioned auction.

brutal
12-18-2010, 02:02 PM
I turned off the center I was running and went phantom with my 250Ti's and like it much better. Granted, they are almost the perfect height for my setup with the HF falling squarely in the center of the 56" TV vertically. That places the UMF/LMF near the bottom third of the screen and still above the underslung center I was using under the TV.

To use the "dialog lift" feature in the receiver to pull up the (real) center requires me to drop the 7.1 side back surrounds and use the front effects (18Ti's in this case.) Love using the 18Ti's, but giving up the SB surrounds is something I wasn't willing to do and the current setup works better for voice placement and voicing. I can still kick the 18Ti's in on some of the DSP modes - though I rarely use them.

Many folks in the biz are on the fence about this, but some will secretly tell you to dump the center unless it's an identical L/C/R set.