PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Movement

bob newton
08-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Hope i'm not being a pest. I noticed that one of the woffers moves in and out slowly about a quater of am inch while in use. Does this indicate anything or is this norman? L-100 - Sansui-9090- cd's

GordonW
08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
That's not too good. May not be a serious problem, but it also could be:

- DC leaking into the signal path,
- the power supply of an amp starting to go a little unstable (possible bad cap, etc)
- something in the preamp/amp signal chain has an instability at very low frequencies (sub-sonic oscillation... these can occur at even fractional Hz, sometimes).

I'd be incline to test the system, piece-by-piece... disconnect the amp from the preamp source, if possible (if there's preamp jumpers in the back of the receiver, unplug them) and see if the problem persists. Also, try another signal source (different CD player, etc).

Regards,
Gordon.

boputnam
08-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by GordonW
That's not too good. I agree - that is not normal...

Might be useful to swap the speakers, left for right, and see if it is indeed isolate to one channel. I'll be it is - for now... :(

bob newton
08-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks Gordan, thanks Bo, I bet its in the amp. Any good Sansui repairmen here? anyone that can go through the amp and return it to origional specs? I am in New England area

Figge
08-20-2004, 01:53 AM
i would not use the reciever til i get it repaired! DC can actually burn woofer VC...

if u have a multimeter: stick it into the outputs and see how much is leaking...