PDA

View Full Version : bet nobody ever asked this

bob newton
08-19-2004, 07:28 PM
reguarding L-100 , 4310, 4311 etc., which end is top? ie, is the woofer suppose to be on the top or on the bottom??

Well, I guess the question is too irrilavent or nobody really knows. I noticed that most of the pro monators are made to have the woffers on top. But the L-100's , whish way is suppose to be up?

GREAT ANSWER BO, MANY TIMES I WONDERED BUT IT COMES TOGETHER NOW . THANKS

:confused: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

boputnam
08-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by bob newton
I noticed that most of the pro monators are made to have the woffers on top. Not exactly...

You see monitors mounted that way in studios, so that the MF and HF are on-axis with the engineer's ears. This positioning gives the best resolution and imaging. The LF is less critically oriented, and much of it's frequency range is more omnidirectional, anyway, so it end's-up "on top", but is actually the least on-axis with the listener's ears...

This is why elevated stands are so benefitial to the L100's, 4312's, etc. They physically raise the MF and HF into alignment with the listener's sitting position, as well as reducing the LF acoustic coupling with the floor...

bob newton
08-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
Not exactly...

You see monitors mounted that way in studios, so that the MF and HF are on-axis with the engineer's ears. This positioning gives the best resolution and imaging. The LF is less critically oriented, and much of it's frequency range is more omnidirectional, anyway, so it end's-up "on top", but is actually the least on-axis with the listener's ears...

This is why elevated stands are so benefitial to the L100's, 4312's, etc. They physically raise the MF and HF into alignment with the listener's sitting position, as well as reducing the LF acoustic coupling with the floor... gREAT ANSWER BO, IT COMES TOGETHER NOW

delshadowrio
08-20-2004, 08:44 AM
I usually look at the labels and place the up based on that

MM

Don McRitchie
08-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Bo has it right. However, this solution was a workaround of the problem of mounting a relatively large speaker on top of a low monitor bridge. While the bottom placement does put the MR/HF drivers closer to ear level, it also places them closer to the boundary created by top of the mixer board. This results in lots of early reflections to muck up the reponse. Current near field monitors are much smaller, but keep the HF drivers on top to maintain some distance from the mixing board. They also tend to have predesigned directionality to limit top/bottom dispersion. Similar sized current montors (JBL's 4412 and LSR32) get around this by mounting the speaker sideways on the bridge, but rotate the MR/HF drivers to again be nearer the "top" of the sideways placement.

Charley Rummel
08-21-2004, 07:32 PM
The rear channel woofers on my system are up at the ceiling of my soundroom, with the MF and HF just under 5 feet from the floor, while the front mf and hf (left, center and right) are at a plane right around average ear level while seated. With the front systems right side up, and the rear systems up side down (essentially) the wave propagation in my sound room, though it defies logical thought, is at it's best performance.

This evolved after much experimenting, giving the elements I'm working with.

Regards,
Charley