PDA

View Full Version : JBL Alpha S70 - Rarity? Value? Info?

JBLNewbie
12-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey,

I stumbled upon a pair of JBL Alpha S70's at an estate sale a couple weeks ago. Knowing the quality of Lansing and having had Lansing products before, I picked them up. However, I cannot find any information on them. PLLLEEEAAASSSEEE Help!

I love the quality of them. The speakers are in very good condition -- sound is crisp, and cabinets are in great condition. May have been stained darker by previous owner, but it has not affected the quality of the speakers themselves.

Can anyone shed some light on how rare these are??
And, assuming they are in very good condition, what is their approx. value? (Or, how much would you have paid for them... :D)

Any help would be much appreciated. (I'd love to know how much they're worth, and how much of a deal I got.)

Thanks!

JBL 4645
12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Wow you must be lousy at searching around. :p Why is it always us here that have to do the searching around? Anyway two threads on this site related to this product.

Its all in the keywords.;)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10542-JBL-Collectors-Alpha-1-S70

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?17210-Anyone-seen-these-JBL-s-before

Not sure if the S70 Alpha III is part of the same model pdf file
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/S70%20Alpha%20III%20ts.pdf

:xmas::window:

HCSGuy
12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I'll take a stab at it - Alpha S70 was a late 60's big furniture style cabinet with loaded with a 12" set of drivers - I think a D123 like the 4310, an LE5-1 and an LE-20, right? (might be the first example of a white faced 12, though) They're pretty rare as not many have survived.

As a complete speaker, on Ebay, you may get $500 for them (just a guess), from someone close enough to make the drive. They're not worth shipping.

If you part them out, you may get the same - about $100/ea for woofers, $40 for each mid, $30/ea for the tweeters, plus $60/ea for the passive radiators and $40 for the pair of crossovers.

Hope this helps - if they look great and you have the room, keep them. Otherwise, part them out and maybe give away the cabs on CL?

JBLNewbie
12-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Wow you must be lousy at searching around. :p Why is it always us here that have to do the searching around? Anyway two threads on this site related to this product.

Thanks, JBL 4645. But I already looked at those listings and they did not really answer my questions. Yes, they have pictures and a little bit of info, but there is nothing to tell me how rare or valuable they are.

JBLNewbie
12-06-2010, 06:44 AM
I'll take a stab at it - Alpha S70 was a late 60's big furniture style cabinet with loaded with a 12" set of drivers - I think a D123 like the 4310, an LE5-1 and an LE-20, right? (might be the first example of a white faced 12, though) They're pretty rare as not many have survived.

As a complete speaker, on Ebay, you may get $500 for them (just a guess), from someone close enough to make the drive. They're not worth shipping.

If you part them out, you may get the same - about $100/ea for woofers, $40 for each mid, $30/ea for the tweeters, plus $60/ea for the passive radiators and $40 for the pair of crossovers.

Hope this helps - if they look great and you have the room, keep them. Otherwise, part them out and maybe give away the cabs on CL?

HCSGuy,

Thanks for the response. That is very helpful. I am trying to find a place to put them in the house, but with everything else already there, it is going to be difficult.

Good to know I got a deal on them!

JBL 4645
12-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks, JBL 4645. But I already looked at those listings and they did not really answer my questions. Yes, they have pictures and a little bit of info, but there is nothing to tell me how rare or valuable they are.

Well those where the only things that stuck out the most on page1Google.
I know how you feel looking for words that satisfies you’re hunger for information.:)
:xmas::tree:

BMWCCA
12-11-2010, 10:25 PM
I'll take a stab at it - As a complete speaker, on Ebay, you may get $500 for them (just a guess), from someone close enough to make the drive. They're not worth shipping.

A pair of Alpha I's in a C70 cabinet in great shape just brought $1200 on Ebay somewhere in the Midwest. While it's still available: http://ebayitem.com/130461530915