PDA

View Full Version : open baffle board

rudy sesztak
12-02-2010, 03:02 PM
How large of an open baffle board would i need to use an audax pr170m0 mid range from 300hz to 7k where a jbl077 takes over. I'm interested how an open baffle sounds on the mid range,compared to an enclosed cabinet.Thanks for any advise- Rudy

grumpy
12-02-2010, 03:27 PM
any advice? Hmm... well, was there someplace that recommended -that- driver be
used down to 300Hz in an open baffle configuration, as well as thinking it would
be a good driver up to 7-8KHz? ... maybe ask there. :dont-know:

...or put the post into the General Audio Discussion category, at least.

Not trying to sound snotty... this just seems like a questionable venture in many ways,
having just looked at the manufacturer's spec pdf.

badman
12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I used a pair of them down to about 300 in a larger OB, it was 20"W X 24" H and had 4" wings on either side. I used acoustic foam on the backside. Above 300, Xmax isn't much of an issue, and this is the type of driver that exceeds Xmax (slightly) gracefully. It's fine to run wide open on the top end and just use a narrow dispersion tweeter (like a slot), as its breakup is very benign, audibly. You could probably shrink the baffle to a single unit to about 14" W X 18H without too much difficulty at the low end- but you'll definitely need to spend some time on filter design, and you'll absolutely need to spend some time getting a big, sensitive, bass section, to match.

A better choice would probably be the AE speakers lambda 6.5" designed for OB. It has more real-world output and is similar in most other respects.

grumpy
12-02-2010, 04:40 PM
well there you go :) I'm happy to have actual experience trump bench-racing anytime.

(although I'm not sure I'd call an 077 a narrow dispersion tweeter, in the horizontal anyway)