PDA

View Full Version : New OPPO BDP-93 Bluray disc machine ...

hjames
11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I had good luck when I had my older DV981HD Oppo repaired recently.
I love the machine to bits - its been great and works really well
I had considered just buying their upstream bluray player when my old (non-BR) player died,
but they were out of transports and weren't available. So I asked to be put on their mailing list for new info ...

And yesterday they sent me a link to preorder the not yet released new model -
OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc Player with SACD & DVD-Audio
I thought about it, considered it was roughly $500 and I'd held off on that in the past, and that it was only available for 5 days ...

A few minutes ago, I put in my order!

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

I liked the older unit, and maybe its time to move the 981 upstairs so i can play SACDs there,
and expand what I can play in the multimedia system downstairs with the biamped 4341 Monitors.

I'll post more when I have it!

SEAWOLF97
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
looks really good..is it a successor to the 83SE or an upgrade or different animal ?

Titanium Dome
11-19-2010, 11:20 AM
looks really good..is it a successor to the 83SE or an upgrade or different animal ?

It's the replacement model for the sold out $499 BDP-83, but not the upgraded $899 BDP-83SE. There will be an all new player to take the place of the SE. it will come out next year.

hjames
11-19-2010, 01:06 PM
It's the replacement model for the sold out $499 BDP-83, but not the upgraded $899 BDP-83SE. There will be an all new player to take the place of the SE. it will come out next year.
Right - instead of using the SE bit to show its an upgrade of another unit like they did with the BDP83 and BDP83SE, they will be calling the new upscale one the BDP-95. Its not available yet but is expected not too long after the BDP-93 goes to regular production.

I was offered a pre-release deal (think anyone can get in on that if they leave their name & email at the OPPO website).

Robh3606
11-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Hello Heather

I did the same thing this afternoon. I was on the list as well. Looking forward to it as it is my first HDMI Blueray player. We will have to compare notes.

Rob:)

BMWCCA
11-19-2010, 08:07 PM
The impression I got from my offer was that the price wasn't special but being able to receive the player early was the bonus. I believe the normal price upon general release will still be $499. Do you think I'm misinterpreting that? 48626

Robh3606
11-19-2010, 08:35 PM
I believe the normal price upon general release will still be $499. Do you think I'm misinterpreting that? http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=48626&d=1290222455

I think you are right. I paid $499 plus shipping for mine. The price on the website looks to be the same just that it isn't available yet.

hjames
11-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Package arrived today ... the demo disc is back ordered, so I got the player, wireless network adapter, USB extender cable, HDMI cable, Remote and lots of manuals. Did the Quick install and had it going pretty quickly - but I do need to do some configuration to get everything synced up ... Tried the Beatles Love but I don't seem to have the surround working for that ...

My HK AVR-7300 hasn't been shipped back yet - it does 7.1 - but the Yamaha receiver is in 5.1 mode ... and I have to play around with the surround channels to get everything right.

Visually, its amazing = popped in the 3 disc Star Trek and watched a bit of that sounds great, image is amazing ... really makes me glad we have a CRT HD - pitch black blacks and great deep contrast - wow ...

Took a few moments and set it up for Netflix - we had been doing Netflix with the TIVOHD - but - I loaded the 5th Element and we wound up watching the whole thing streamed - visual quality through the OPPO seems much better than it does through the TIVOHD - Of course, that plays through the HDMI output as well, so it must be due to having a better video processing chip than the Anchor Bay chip of the older OPPOs - sound seemed crisper as well ...

The OPPO website (http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/) says "Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-93 incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2 video processor with the second generation Qdeo™ technology."

Didn't have time to see how it plays standard DVDs yet ... we have quite a few of them - maybe this weekend ...

Its a weeknight and I only have so much free time mid week to dink, but I'm quite impressed and Emma is sold on the upgrade as well! Always a plus when the spouse has support!

Robh3606
11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Hello Heather

Mine should show up tommorow. Are you using HDMI for your hook-ups??

hjames
12-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Hello Heather

Mine should show up tomorrow. Are you using HDMI for your hook-ups??

Using HDMI just for the video - using optical and discrete analog cables for the audio paths.
Waiting for a package of cables from Seawolf, as well as my (repaired) HK receiver for the final setups. I'll take snaps over the weekend.

Mr. Widget
12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Using HDMI just for the video - using optical and discrete analog cables for the audio paths.
Waiting for a package of cables from Seawolf, as well as my (repaired) HK receiver for the final setups. I'll take snaps over the weekend.Hi Heather, I'd recommend you give a coax digital bitstream a listen. In my system at least I didn't find the optical to sound as good as the coax. Of course I have read just the opposite on the web... so ?

If you are getting one of Seawolf's video cables (and they actually are 75 ohm video cables and not just yellow colored ends) I'd give it a try on the coax as well as one of your standard "audio" cables.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
12-01-2010, 11:01 AM
well, I was going to start a thread...but this one has touched on my question ..so veering a bit..:o:

My DAC has toslink optical input as well as digi coax....I was ready to buy the coax and a friend said "just use standard rca's" ....I had read that also on the web, but answered "that can't be right ??"

OK..its a free & easy experiment....wired the rca to the coax IN & OUt's....fired it all up, and ...sounds just fine

can someone who really knows address this ???? :confused:

grumpy
12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
It's "better" to use cables specified as 75 ohm. Whether the connectors are RCA
or not is more related to what your equipment has (adding adapters will not help
things).

If the error correcting circuitry on the receiving end is doing it's job, you may
very well not hear an obvious difference, on the other hand, I like the idea of
listening to what is represented as bits on the disk, not the error correcting
(or worse, gap-interpolating) stuff giving me -it's- idea of what was probably
right, or close enough.

Using a cable that may not be the same characteristic impedance of
the transmitter and receiver ends is asking for the receiver to deal with
unnecessary reflections. Grabbing a random RCA cable may or may not
work as well as a cable designed for the job.

jcrobso
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
The impedance is usually not listed for audio cable, not that important at audio frequencies.
It might be close to 75 Ohms at high frequencies.
For digital audio you could use audio RCA for short distances, lets say under 6'. Over that I would for sure use a 75 Ohm coax cable. I have read about experiments that used coat hanger wire for digital audio and it worked.:eek: The only requirement is that all the bits get through.
FYI I use 75 Ohm coax.

Optical is far more fussy, first the electrical signal must be converted to light, then sent through optical cable the ends of the cable have to be very good and align with the output and input LED and photo receptor perfectly. If you have light loss you start to drop bits.
Then the photo receptor has convert it back to an electrical signal.:blink:
But optical has become all the rage?:crying:

SEAWOLF97
12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
It's "better" to use cables specified as 75 ohm. Whether the connectors are RCA
or not is more related to what your equipment has (adding adapters will not help
things).. Grabbing a random RCA cable may or may not
work as well as a cable designed for the job.

I hear ya....even tho it works, will go ahead and buy a real coax

Mr. Widget
12-01-2010, 02:23 PM
I've used screw-on RCA connectors to make up long lines for subwoofers from Quad-shield coax,
but never tried it the other way around using RCA cables instead of Coax!Yep, I do that all the time myself...

In my digital cable shoot out I did try some RG6 with RCAs... I also used a purpose built "digital" cable with RCAs, an assortment of standard and "high end" audio cables as well as a $2500 MIT digital audio cable... guess what... I did hear differences and that damned $2500 cable sounded the best. It did not sound better enough in my system to merit the premium price tag though so it went back to the manufacturer when they asked for it. I am using a medium high end audio cable as it turned out to be the second best sounding. The RG6 sounded about the same... perhaps exactly the same, but it is hard to say. I am not using it because it is stiff and cumbersome.

Widget

grumpy
12-01-2010, 02:36 PM
...a bit of optimized wave shaping and impedance matching helps move the bits
from point A to B with clean, well defined edges and no/limited ringing and
minimized reflections.

I believe this can be heard. $2500/cable amortizes the engineering development
time pretty quickly... then make it pretty or manly, or both, and market it.
Almost everyone I know would be happy with a less capable cable and more $$$.

sorry for continuing the brief detour... how 'bout that upcoming BDP-95, eh? :)

hjames
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Heather, I'd recommend you give a coax digital bitstream a listen. In my system at least I didn't find the optical to sound as good as the coax. Of course I have read just the opposite on the web... so ?

If you are getting one of Seawolf's video cables (and they actually are 75 ohm video cables and not just yellow colored ends) I'd give it a try on the coax as well as one of your standard "audio" cables.

Widget
OK - I have plenty of quad shield RG-6 Cable and connectors around -
I can make up a cable if need be ... used to have head-end cable around as well, but not so sure anymore ... and I think that was all 50 Ohm with screw-on BNC connectors ...

But when I pulled the teak rack out and popped the back off, I saw the OPPO and Yamahaha have RCA connectors - and I have a high quality stereo RCA pair I used to use for CD signal on the old OPPO - the BDP-93 doesn't have a stereo only pair so its not needed - so I used one lead of that as my digital coaxial.
I can't tell the difference - but I'm not sure the Yam is working right with the BDP ... I'm hoping Harman sends back my AVR-7300 soon - it was much easier to config that the Yam is!

opimax
12-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Heather I have a cable if you would like :)

Mark

Mr. Widget
12-02-2010, 03:45 PM
I can't tell the difference - but I'm not sure the Yam is working right with the BDP ... I'm hoping Harman sends back my AVR-7300 soon - it was much easier to config that the Yam is!Oops... I hadn't considered what the other end of your digital stream was being connected to. I am not sure the cable or optical vs. coax will make much of a difference being plugged into a Yamaha or HK AVR. :o:

None of these things can be considered in a vacuum. A generous forum member sent me a pile of analog and digital cables from a particular audiophile manufacturer that had made a world of difference on his system and a few others that he had tried them on. He was eager to hear of the improvements that I might hear in my system. I connected them up as directed and basically heard no improvement... or harm. He seemed quite disappointed. Either his cables were no better than mine, my system wasn't resolving enough to showcase the improvements, I am deaf, or he is deluded. All in all an interesting yet inconclusive experiment.

Widget

hjames
12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Oops... I hadn't considered what the other end of your digital stream was being connected to. I am not sure the cable or optical vs. coax will make much of a difference being plugged into a Yamaha or HK AVR. :o:

None of these things can be considered in a vacuum. A generous forum member sent me a pile of analog and digital cables from a particular audiophile manufacturer that had made a world of difference on his system and a few others that he had tried them on. He was eager to hear of the improvements that I might hear in my system. I connected them up as directed and basically heard no improvement... or harm. He seemed quite disappointed. Either his cables were no better than mine, my system wasn't resolving enough to showcase the improvements, I am deaf, or he is deluded. All in all an interesting yet inconclusive experiment.

Widget

As a refresher, I tried the new Emotiva UMC-1 high end processor last June, feeding 3 Adcom amps - and shipped it back within 30 days because it was basically unstable through the HDMI buss - not sure what's next, but buying a new receiver isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Robh3606
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Well I got mine and have it hooked up through my Integra 9.8 using the HDMI input. So far so good. I have not had time to really listen to it yet. Just spent some time making sure all the different formats were working OK. It's a snap using the HDMI. All the audio goes through so no analog needed at all! That was a surprise.

Mr. Widget
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
As a refresher, I tried the new Emotiva UMC-1 high end processor last June, feeding 3 Adcom amps - and shipped it back within 30 days because it was basically unstable through the HDMI buss - not sure what's next, but buying a new receiver isn't going to happen anytime soon.High End???

Well I got mine and have it hooked up through my Integra 9.8 using the HDMI input. So far so good. I have not had time to really listen to it yet. Just spent some time making sure all the different formats were working OK. It's a snap using the HDMI. All the audio goes through so no analog needed at all! That was a surprise.Yeah... HDMI is great when it works... and in simple, plug this device into that device it usually does work, but in more complex systems and situations where you have a rack of gear here and a panel or a projector there... it is often a real headache!

One reason there aren't more high end, high quality processors out there is the great expense and PITA HDMI is for the smaller manufacturers. http://www.parasound.com/new.php

Heather... if your system is primarily for watching I wouldn't spend a dollar more on processing... if it is primarily for listening with no video, there are clever system dependent work arounds, or drop the big coin.

Widget

hjames
12-02-2010, 08:01 PM
The UMC-1 is what Emotiva considered to be their "high end" processor ...
but with the HDMI looped through it, every little glitch or transient in the CATV or other source dropped the HDMI handshake and DRM took everything to black silence, just in case I was trying to steal signal ... PITA!
High end was their term, my term for it wasn't printable in such a nice establishment ...

The Yamaha RX-V2095 predates the hdmi era- so I have a monoprice HDMI 4 port switch in place.
But I knew it was a cheapie placeholder when I bought it off CL after the Harman died.
Haven't decided what I'll do when the HK AVR-7300 returns - that depends on how it works with the OPPO.
If its underwhelming, I'll sell it off and go for something like the Integra I 'spose ...

The problem is we do everything in that room - FM Radio, CDs, SACDs, Movies and TV ...
I know that makes it a compromise system ... but it kind of has to be ...

High End???

Yeah... HDMI is great when it works... and in simple, plug this device into that device it usually does work, but in more complex systems and situations where you have a rack of gear here and a panel or a projector there... it is often a real headache!

One reason there aren't more high end, high quality processors out there is the great expense and PITA HDMI is for the smaller manufacturers. http://www.parasound.com/new.php

Heather... if your system is primarily for watching I wouldn't spend a dollar more on processing... if it is primarily for listening with no video, there are clever system dependent work arounds, or drop the big coin.

Widget

hjames
12-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Heather I have a cable if you would like :)

Mark

Your note nearly got lost in the shuffle - and I have a care package nearly here from SeaWuff, but thanks for the offer, Mark!
I know I owe you a visit, if nothing more than to just help sort out your projects pile before it goes away ...
Maybe when this is sorted a bit more we'll have you over for cookies and eggnog or some such fun!:bouncy:

opimax
12-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Heather,

My house is mess!!GF is moving in. Hoping to have have it together for listening party mid Jan.

Now i need something new to make it worth everyone come over to hear/see :D

Mark

Titanium Dome
12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Heather,

My house is mess!!GF is moving in. Hoping to have have it together for listening party mid Jan.

Now i need something new to make it worth everyone come over to hear/see :D

Mark

GF moving in might be enough. ;)

(It got a lot of people to come to my place.)

hjames
12-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Well I got mine and have it hooked up through my Integra 9.8 using the HDMI input. So far so good. I have not had time to really listen to it yet. Just spent some time making sure all the different formats were working OK. It's a snap using the HDMI. All the audio goes through so no analog needed at all! That was a surprise.

That seems to be the direction I am headed now ... I know the DTC-9.8 isn't their latest model, but it is well rated, and having the interconnect wiring cleaned up couldn't hurt ...
I even have enough amps to run all the channels with!

I'll just need to sell off the freshly rebuilt HK AVR-7300 and all will be well!

opimax
12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
TD,

Listening to her whine about all the speakers in the house and the space they take up...that is not a good listening party, lol

Maybe the new combination of equipment will produce some interesting results, or Bass Trapps from Mr V

Mark

hjames
12-06-2010, 09:24 AM
TD,

Listening to her whine about all the speakers in the house and the space they take up...that is not a good listening party, lol

Maybe the new combination of equipment will produce some interesting results, or Bass Trapps from Mr V

Mark
Tole ya we could help clear out speakers -
That spare dBx sub comes to mind ...
and Wilfredo wanted my B-380 - so evahbody would be happy then!

Robh3606
12-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Hello Heather

Sorry about your reciever. Just to compare notes on the OPPO. I am using 2 HDMI cables one to my Integra the other direct to the TV. I am also getting some video glitches but only on Bluerays and only during the loading process through the FBI/Copyright Warning screens. My TV is older and only supports 1080I so I am wondering if that is the issue. Once the menu screens are in it's fine. The Audio has been flawlwss on every thing I have tried. Are you having your glitches in the same spots??

hjames
12-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Hello Heather

Sorry about your reciever. Just to compare notes on the OPPO. I am using 2 HDMI cables one to my Integra the other direct to the TV. I am also getting some video glitches but only on Bluerays and only during the loading process through the FBI/Copyright Warning screens. My TV is older and only supports 1080I so I am wondering if that is the issue. Once the menu screens are in it's fine. The Audio has been flawlwss on every thing I have tried. Are you having your glitches in the same spots??

Thanks for the HK sympathy, Robh

Otherwise, the problem is none of my receivers has HDMI - so I have to run Coaxial/discrete 8 RCAs/Optical, or similar for the audio sources.
I can run HDMI for the Video from the BDP-93, my TIVOHD, and a 1st gen AppleTV through the MonoPrice 4 port HDMI switch and then to the HDMi in on our Philips HDTV.

The other night the glitching was just unbearable on the startup for Disney's "Sorcerer's Apprentice" - the Nicholas Cage film ... but once the film finally got running it was stable.

I'd love to upgrade the receiver ... but looks like its not going to happen right now.

I do wish the BDP-93 had multiple outs like my older DV981 had. It had a distinct stereo RCA pair of jacks that I fed to the CD in on my receiver, had the 8 distinct RCA outs that I used for SACD, DVD-A and multichannel audio sources, plus a coaxial/optical out that I used for movies and such.
The newer BDP-93 has no discrete stereo pair - tho I may get a pair of RCA Y adapters and fake it myself.

Mr. Widget
12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
The other night the glitching was just unbearable on the startup for Disney's "Sorcerer's Apprentice" - the Nicholas Cage film ... but once the film finally got running it was stable.Sounds like your player was trying to save you from wasting 109 minutes of your life. :D

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble with your HK AVR, that really must be frustrating!

Widget

hjames
12-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Sounds like your player was trying to save you from wasting 109 minutes of your life. :D

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble with your HK AVR, that really must be frustrating!

Widget
Yeah, not sure what Nicholas Cage is doing with his career ... anything they offer him, I suppose.

Thanks for the sympathy, it IS most frustrating.

I had hoped when the receiver came back I'd put it in my rack so I could demo it, post it to CL,
and sell it freshly refurbed for whatever I could get - but that isn't going to happen ...

I've really been just trying to avoid trashing it, avoid sending it off to the landfill, but I'm running out of ideas ...

I mean, I spent $60 for the initial estimate from the "Authorized Service Center here,
$40 for the box and foam, and $100 for UPS (insured) to Northridge - and now that's $200 that
hasn't gotten me anything ... And, of course, that's plus what I paid for the receiver 18 months ago ...
I've got to admit, this has soured me on the HK brand ...

hjames
01-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Just to update the thread.
The HK Tech encouraged me to open the HK receiver and look for a loose connector.
I did so and found a ribbon cable had apparently popped loose during the long cross-country trip from Northridge , CA to Fairfax, VA. I reseated it, tested it on the coffee table and all the lights camme on.

So I popped the rack open, pulled the Yamaha, installed the HK AVR 7300 back in the rack, and went through all the config screens. Everything seemed to b working fine, except that
I had some HDMI issues (the Harman is pre-HDMI so I've been using an external Monoprice HDMI switch for the last year or so).
So on a hunch, I dropped $30 again and bought a brand new Monoprice 4x1 HDMI switch and that seems to have cured most all the problems.

Except on Disney Blu-ray discs - I got Fantasia in Blu- Ray for Emma ... when when I try and skip past all the danged trailers and teasers HDMI gets out of sync and I have to power cycle the TV to get an HDMI handshake again.
I'm really hating Disney's version of DRM - dang - I OWN the disc, just let me PLAY it!!

But I don't worry about that too much, its an ancient Philips CRT HDTV (with early HDMI tech) , and we'll probably get a newer set later this year ... and that will probably cure that.

Back to the Oppo - its been GREAT!
They've done one firmware upgrade since I got it, and that was painless.
Its got built in wireless networking. Netflix plays exceptionally clear, Blu-ray looks fantastic, SD-DVDs work great and look fantastic, CDs play really well ... I think I have a keeper here!

Robh3606
01-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Blu-ray looks fantastic, SD-DVDs work great and look fantastic, CDs play really well ... I think I have a keeper here!

Yes I have to agree it plays anything you throw at it and it does it well. Why couldn't every other manufacturer do software updates like they do?? Easy and painless.

BMWCCA
01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm waiting to hear about the BDP-95 . . .

Goes to show it's always something!

Hoerninger
01-07-2011, 12:50 AM
The OPPO-93 is in Europe only available from a dutch distributor for EUR 699.
Hoping for the future ...

Sorry for OT.