PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of B460

baldrick
11-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Is there a good way of restoring this cabinet without applying new veneer all over?

I'm not sure about the state of the grille though... hopefully it's not too bad.

grumpy
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
I've seen furniture -much- worse off then this B460 repaired/restored by knowledgeable
and experienced people ... I'm just not one of them :). Just a note to let you know there's
hope, and hopefully to prod those who -do- know what they are doing in regard to veneer
repair, into providing some practical advise.

Already looks much nicer than my 4645 cabs :)

baldrick
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
No it doesn't look that bad, but still it needs some work :) I already have a B460 in near mint condition but I want two of them.

So if someone have ideas of whether (and how) it's possible to restore it to i.e. 95% without replaceing all veener I would be real glad for help :)

I just noticed that the screw holes are broken as well, but that should be quite easy to fix, but still don't know about the grille though.

rdgrimes
11-18-2010, 09:21 PM
You haven't really shown what issues it might have, need pictures. As long as the grill frame is intact or repairable it's easy enough to re-cover.

Most veneer nicks tend to fade when sanding and re-finishing, stain-able filler is one choice but only after testing for color. One thing, don't expect a re-finished unit to match the older one for color unless you re-finished that one too.

pos
11-19-2010, 12:23 AM
So if someone have ideas of whether (and how) it's possible to restore it to i.e. 95% without replaceing all veener I would be real glad for help :)
This might be of some interest to you:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?873-Dolly-Gets-a-Face-Lift!-4430s

baldrick
11-19-2010, 01:30 AM
You haven't really shown what issues it might have, need pictures. As long as the grill frame is intact or repairable it's easy enough to re-cover.

Most veneer nicks tend to fade when sanding and re-finishing, stain-able filler is one choice but only after testing for color. One thing, don't expect a re-finished unit to match the older one for color unless you re-finished that one too.

I don't have any more pictures of it available, and unfortunately the seller says the grill seems to be gone :(

I don't expect 100% match to my other B460 but hopefully it will not be too way of :)

This might be of some interest to you:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?873-Dolly-Gets-a-Face-Lift!-4430s

Thanx for that link! It contains some very good advice and shows that there are hopes for this cabinet :)

rdgrimes
11-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Only option on the grill is to use your existing grill to make a pattern for building a new one. Plan on several failures and be patient. ;)

mbottz
01-27-2011, 03:38 PM
IT is hard to tell from just the one picture.

If you need a grill I can certainly make you one.

MB