PDA

View Full Version : JBL 033 tweeters -- L112/L150A crossovers

jfine
11-17-2010, 11:08 PM
I have a pair of L150's that I cannot seem to get properly working for almost a year.

The 033 tweeter on one is very high ohm reading, ~50 ohms, and still works but very low volume. Tried cleaning, adjusting, etc., still not functioning properly.

I like the sound of 033 phenolic diaphragms, but I also hear "upgrading" to L150A type crossovers would in of itself be an improvement, and then I could use 052Ti's, 035Ti's, etc., which seem to be more readily available.

In any case, I cannot seem to locate any 033's so I figured I might have to do the upgrade.

I did try an aftermarket 033 diaphragm for $25.00, but it does not fit.

I found a factory 033 diaphragm replacement, but it was like $135.00, not sure if it's worth it.

Any help, suggestions, highly appreciated. Thanks.

sperkerchef
11-18-2010, 09:11 AM
I have a pair of L150's that I cannot seem to get properly working for almost a year.

The 033 tweeter on one is very high ohm reading, ~50 ohms, and still works but very low volume. Tried cleaning, adjusting, etc., still not functioning properly.

I like the sound of 033 phenolic diaphragms, but I also hear "upgrading" to L150A type crossovers would in of itself be an improvement, and then I could use 052Ti's, 035Ti's, etc., which seem to be more readily available.

In any case, I cannot seem to locate any 033's so I figured I might have to do the upgrade.

I did try an aftermarket 033 diaphragm for $25.00, but it does not fit.

I found a factory 033 diaphragm replacement, but it was like $135.00, not sure if it's worth it.

Any help, suggestions, highly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a pair of the L150 Millenniums as well and like the sound of the 033 better than the 044's used in the L150A's. I would certainly recommend either the 035TIA or 052TI over the 044. People seem to really like that tweeter but it just doesn't sound as good as many others in my opinion.

If you're deciding between the two titanium tweeter I would go for the 035TIA. It's my understanding that the magnetic circuit i the 052TI is identical to that of the 035TIA however the dome and facia were built from Son Audax France a sister company in the Harman Group. The 052TI was also a little thicker and I believe there isn't pleated ribbing across the dome either although I haven't seen one on awhile. This makes the tweeter sound a little more rolled off than the 035TIA and also a little less power efficient. Many of the newer models like the 052Ti, 066Ti among other newer drivers were outsourced from France, Japan, and Taiwan from Tonegen and Foster Electric.