PDA

View Full Version : can you hear the differance between a 077 and a 2405???

jbl_daddy
11-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I was just wondering this while stuck in rush-hour yesterday. Some way or other I ended up with an extra pair of both. If the 077 is a better sounding element than I should swap the ones in my 4340's to see the difference.
Mark

Robh3606
11-13-2010, 03:47 PM
They are identicle asside from the clear acrylic lens

Rob:)

ratitifb
11-13-2010, 04:37 PM
They are identicle asside from the clear acrylic lens

Rob:)plus the Blue Lagoon :cheers:

grumpy
11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I'll just add that depending on how they were treated, and possibly aged,
that one set (or unit) might sound "better" or at least different from the others.

If they were all cleaned up, mag'd to spec and with unquestionable diaphragms,
I would expect them to both measure and sound similarly (as close as they ever were).

jbl_daddy
11-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Sounds great I will not touch them, the acrylic centers vs the aluminum would not cause a softer or more harsh sound. That is good, I worked in an industrial manufacturering facility for years as an engineer so my ears will never know.
Mark

toddalin
11-14-2010, 11:25 AM
The acrylic wedge provides a more "transparent" sound. ;)

Besides, they look really cool when you shine a laser pointer on them. :D

Maron Horonzakz
11-14-2010, 12:52 PM
No No,,,A more refracted sound,

Rolf
11-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Back to the original question. I have had them both, not directly side by side to compare, but as I can tell the 2405 is a little smoother than the 077. Maybe the difference are the lens ("plastic vs metal"?)

BMWCCA
11-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Back to the original question. I have had them both, not directly side by side to compare, but as I can tell the 2405 is a little smoother than the 077. Maybe the difference are the lens ("plastic vs metal"?)I don't doubt your empirical evidence, I just find it kind of hard to believe. But then having just read an article comparing $500 power cords, there's obviously a lot I don't understand about audio!

4313B
11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't doubt your empirical evidence, I just find it kind of hard to believe. But then having just read an article comparing $500 power cords, there's obviously a lot I don't understand about audio!You and me both. More importantly though, I just flat out don't give a .... :rotfl:

The ring radiators have so many other issues that whether or not the plug is acrylic or metal is moot. Everyone knows the acrylic with the blue ring looks the best. :p (These slot-loaded ring radiators sound really good with a charge-coupled network behind them.)

Rolf
11-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, it just my opinion.

I don't doubt your empirical evidence, I just find it kind of hard to believe. But then having just read an article comparing $500 power cords, there's obviously a lot I don't understand about audio!

BMWCCA
11-16-2010, 10:20 AM
(These slot-loaded ring radiators sound really good with a charge-coupled network behind them.)Funny, that's what I'm listening to right now. Thanks! :hurray:

Rolf
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
You never surprise me. Your sarcastic is always welcome. And yes, the plastic (acrylic) has all the time look the best.

You and me both. More importantly though, I just flat out don't give a .... :rotfl:

The ring radiators have so many other issues that whether or not the plug is acrylic or metal is moot. Everyone knows the acrylic with the blue ring looks the best. :yes: (These slot-loaded ring radiators sound really good with a charge-coupled network behind them.)