PDA

View Full Version : JBL 104H Mid Dust Cap Replacement

Cactus Bob
11-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Hello JBL people! I have a 104H mid with a pushed in dust cap on one of my 250ti's. I exchanged it with one of my 240ti mids which is perfect and now feel bad for my 240ti's with the pushed in cap now and would like to correct the problem. From what I understand the original caps are made of aluminum. I called OCS and they said they could replace the caps with paper caps and suggested doing both to match. Is this the way to go? Thanks, Bob

11-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Hello JBL people! I have a 104H mid with a pushed in dust cap on one of my 250ti's. I exchanged it with one of my 240ti mids which is perfect and now feel bad for my 240ti's with the pushed in cap now and would like to correct the problem. From what I understand the original caps are made of aluminum. I called OCS and they said they could replace the caps with paper caps and suggested doing both to match. Is this the way to go? Thanks, Bob

Depending on the cost for replacement, you might find it cheaper or faster to get one off the bay. There just happen to be some there now. One says "smooth cone" and the other says "textured cone".

Cactus Bob
11-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Depending on the cost for replacement, you might find it cheaper or faster to get one off the bay. There just happen to be some there now. One says "smooth cone" and the other says "textured cone".

Thanks 4343, OCS said $20 each to replace with paper dust caps which seems fair to me. These have the smooth cones and are in great condition otherwise. It wouldn't be bad having back-ups.

rdgrimes
11-11-2010, 08:24 PM
OCS sells caps and glue, the caps are usually slightly over-sized to fit right over old caps.

DavidF
11-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks 4343, OCS said $20 each to replace with paper dust caps which seems fair to me. These have the smooth cones and are in great condition otherwise. It wouldn't be bad having back-ups.
JBL stopped holding the original metal domes in inventory and now supplies the flatter paper domes used in the late model cone mids. OCS is probably referring to those domes JBL is supplying as replacements to the original. There may some original domes out in the service center inventories but you will have to track them down, if so inclined.

Cactus Bob
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Great info guys thanks! That's a good idea David, I'll hunt around for them. Maybe I'll get lucky.

JuniorJBL
11-14-2010, 08:15 AM
You might PM Edgewound. My little girl poked mine in so I sent them off and they returned in like new condition.;)

Cactus Bob
11-14-2010, 08:46 AM
You might PM Edgewound. My little girl poked mine in so I sent them off and they returned in like new condition.;)

Thanks! Edgewound's PM box is full, so I sent an e-mail hopefully it will get to him.

JuniorJBL
11-15-2010, 06:51 AM
You could call him as well.

http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

Cactus Bob
11-19-2010, 06:35 AM
You could call him as well.

http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

Thanks, I reached Edgewound and he's all out of the domes. I guess I'll have to hunt around.

jbl_daddy
11-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I two have an extra pair of 104h mids with the same needs. Please keep us informed.

opimax
11-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I could ue 4 + when they are found:applaud:

Mark