PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing speaker may need repair

hairfarmer
11-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Greetings,

I have a pair of speakers (Flamencos) and one of the woofers is starting to sound like it's damaged. Like its blown, even at low volume. Lots of static and crackle. The woofer will also cut in and out too while in use. The horn seems ok, so I think it's the woofer that is/has been damaged. If I shake the speaker, the woofer will kick in sometimes. I've inspected the woofer but do not see any visible tears in the paper. There is also a dial on the back of the speaker (tone adjustment?) so this may be the problem too(?)

I've had these speakers for 30 years and have never done anything to them.

Here are photos:
http://www.sitnsail.com/hairfarm/Otherstuff/AltecSpeakers.Unrestored/

Anyone know where I can find someone with the expertise to get these repaired the right way? Any ideas? Can this old woofer have new speaker paper put onto it?

thanks,

Hairfarmer

louped garouv
11-09-2010, 03:04 PM
try swapping the known good woofer into the other cabinet, and vice versa...
also twist the dial adjustment around it's range a few times...

it could be corrosion built up on the ternimals or in the L-Pad

worth a shot, and won't cost much but some time...
initially at least...

report back, and we can see if that works...
or suggest further action to take...

GOOD Luck!

Greetings,

I have a pair of speakers (Flamencos) and one of the woofers is starting to sound like it's damaged. Like its blown, even at low volume. Lots of static and crackle. The woofer will also cut in and out too while in use. The horn seems ok, so I think it's the woofer that is/has been damaged. If I shake the speaker, the woofer will kick in sometimes. I've inspected the woofer but do not see any visible tears in the paper. There is also a dial on the back of the speaker (tone adjustment?) so this may be the problem too(?)

I've had these speakers for 30 years and have never done anything to them.

Here are photos:
http://www.sitnsail.com/hairfarm/Otherstuff/AltecSpeakers.Unrestored/

Anyone know where I can find someone with the expertise to get these repaired the right way? Any ideas? Can this old woofer have new speaker paper put onto it?

thanks,

Hairfarmer

hairfarmer
11-10-2010, 12:50 PM
The problem seems intermittent. Mostly they sound great, but then sometimes the problem speaker starts to crackle a bit.

Is the L-pad the same thing as the dial adjustment on the back?

What is the best way to clean the dial adjustment on the back of the unit if my speaker is ok.

badman
11-10-2010, 01:21 PM
The problem seems intermittent. Mostly they sound great, but then sometimes the problem speaker starts to crackle a bit.

Is the L-pad the same thing as the dial adjustment on the back?

What is the best way to clean the dial adjustment on the back of the unit if my speaker is ok.

Radioshack sells potentiometer (L-Pads, the knob on the back) are a type of this. If you try this and continue to have problems, I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot, but I'm in OC, so you'd have to haul it south.

voice of theatr
11-19-2010, 09:59 AM
If you swap out the woofers as suggested to determine if it's the woofer that's bad or the connections/crossover/etc. and you find that the problem occurs in whichever cabinet you have the "questionable" woofer installed--then of course the woofer is the culprit. If that's the case, there is a company called Great Plains Audio which is former Altec Lansing employees who bought all the tooling etc. from Altec Lansing. They are the only source for original recone kits for vintage Altec Lansing speakers that will be identical to the originals. They can recone your 416 woofer and get it working up to original spces again. Their prices are very reasonable, and I can say from firsthand experience their quality of parts and service is excellent. They reconed an Altec Lansing 421 woofer for me and it came back sounding as good as new. Just google Great Plains Audio to find their website. They also make brand new 416 woofers, horns, h.f. drivers etc......
try swapping the known good woofer into the other cabinet, and vice versa...
also twist the dial adjustment around it's range a few times...

it could be corrosion built up on the ternimals or in the L-Pad

worth a shot, and won't cost much but some time...
initially at least...

report back, and we can see if that works...
or suggest further action to take...

GOOD Luck!