PDA

View Full Version : L100 vs. L100a

scott_ae
08-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the board - great to see all of the expertise out here on the network.

I have a pair of JBL L100a speakers that I purchased in 1973 when Uncle Sam saw fit to send me to southeast asia. (Not much fun, but at least I got some stereo equipment out of the deal.)

I have been using my JBL's full time for 31 years now and they are in perfect shape other than the famous foam grille problem. Recently I have been watching ebay and thinking about picking up another pair.

The one thing I noticed is that every pair I see is a L100 - while mine are L100a. My original documentation says L100a. My faceplates on the speaker say L100a. The original PX price list for all of the JBL products says L100a. I can see absolutely no differnece between my L100a and the L100.

Does anybody here know what the difference is? Was it just a marking issue because they were sold thru Uncle Sam's PX? I've searched this forum and the lansing heritage site and come up with no hits for "L100a".

Hope somebody here knows the answer - I'll sleep better at night.

Thanks in advance,

scott_ae

4313B
08-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Hello and welcome,

Now we know for sure new members cannot see old posts using the search feature.

Here's what I get with a search on L100A posted by me:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2587&highlight=l100a

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=1912&highlight=l100a

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=1168&highlight=l100a

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=851&highlight=l100a

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=482&highlight=l100a

scott_ae
08-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the quick answer's guys. This place is great.

Now about the search "problem". It looks like the search doesn't go back too far into the archives until you become a member.

Here's how it went.

1) Tripped upon the site accidently

2) Searched and got 2 hits - neither of which was about the JBL L100a.

3) Joined the site, posted my question and got your great responses with links

4) Tried the same search again and got the same hits as you posted.

So it looks like only recent posts can be searched without memebership. You may just want to add a notice that states "full search capability requires memebership".

Thanks again,

scott_ae

4313B
08-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Ah Ha!

So that's the deal. Thanks for the information. :)

droh
08-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Hi Scott,

Well those threads will help explain the difference, but I would venture that most of what you find on ebay is gonna be an L100a or maybe an L100a late model. From what I have seen there are very few original L100s popping up. I suspect that many people selling these things have no idea what the differences are. A quick surevey of whats currently on ebay all looks like L100a to me.

4313B
08-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Yeah, if you see a round LE20-1 (LE20 with frame/grille removed) for the high frequencies then you know it's the original L100 and if you see a square LE25x for the high frequencies then you know it's an L100A.

jpb_dk
11-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Hi Guys

one of my first JBL's was a L100. Greate box !
Well about the "a",.....Today i have a pair of 4410, and the diffrence between that one and the 4410A, is the filter. The 4410 that i have is with L-pad.
(the visual part of the diffrence between 4410 and 4410a)

Personally i find the 4410a filter gives a much more harmonic sound.

But if thats the secret about "to a, or not to a" or was it "b", i dont know..Just what i found out while changing the filter.

By the way.. Updating a old filter like yours (if its still original) will make you happy.. Components are old and out of walue, and you CAN hear it when its replaced !!

Regards
Jens

562lonnie
12-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Hello fellow lancers,
I too am new to this site and also a soon to be L100 (not "A") owner. :applaud:
I purchased a nice pair on Ebay.
Anyhow...the speakers are verticle and the woofer cones are white compaired to the black that I see more of. No foam on the tweeters and they have low s/n's
I read that the white cones are signiture woofers with alnico magnets. Is this true and if so what is the difference compaired to the black cones.
How about the sound too... is there a major difference between the 2 woofers?
How would you rate the sound of this speaker compaired to the "A" series.
I've been really trying to compare the 2 models and see if I should of bought the "A" series, or the 4311's or 4312's.:blink:
Any info about this model is greatly
Appreciated

One thing is for sure... I know I will love them regardless.

Thanks,
562lonnie

mike
12-15-2005, 03:26 PM
I always sort of felt that the original L100 had a smoother sounding tweeter and actually imaged better since the drivers were mounted vertically. The later L100a was tuned better and had tighter bass along with slightly better midrange because of a lower crossover frequency. Sometimes these differences stand out and sometimes they are not that noticeable depending on what you are listening to. It would be nice to make a set of L100's that use the LE20 tweeters, the L100a port ducts, the inline driver configuration, and the 1500Hz low/mid crossover. I still think that the L100 has a certain magic about it that the later JBL bookshelf systems did not have.

Mike

562lonnie
12-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks Mike for the feedback. I too think the originals are somewhat special.

You really dont see them that often either compaired to the "A" series.
At least I don't.
I am really looking foward to getting them set up.

mike
12-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Over the years I've owned about five pairs total and only one pair are original L100's. They were actually my first pair ( my first pair of JBLs as well) and the pair that I still own. I've had them for about 20 years now.

The original ones seem to sound best about two feet off of the ground and away from the wall.

Mike

mike
12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Over the years I've owned about five pairs total and only one pair are original L100's. They were actually my first pair ( my first pair of JBLs as well) and the pair that I still own. I've had them for about 20 years now.

The original ones seem to sound best about two feet off of the ground and away from the wall.

Mike

562lonnie
12-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Well tomorrow is the day that my very first JBL's model L100 will be arriving. :applaud: I have a Mitsubishi DA-A10 Dual Monoblock amp that I would probably hook them up to.
Although I also have a Denon 3805 and a soon to be owner of a Denon POA-2200. Any suggestions to which one might sound better with the L100's?

Regards,
Lonnie

Audiobeer
12-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Let your ears decide for you. I'd be surprised of any of us have owned those two pieces together to compare. Let us know what you think! :)

562lonnie
12-17-2005, 06:01 AM
I sure will...thanks.