PDA

View Full Version : SUPER COOL 1920s Lansing Radio Speaker

Steve Schell
10-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Just when you think you've seen everything... check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LANSING-SPEAKER-1920S-RADIOS-/300485705301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f657fe55

This appears to be an original circa late 1920s Lansing radio speaker. In this era radios and speakers were generally purchased separately. The 10" cone driver is not moving coil, but rather of the reed armature type that was still common then. What is mind blowing about this unit is the stylish open baffle mounting and base... but then Jim Lansing was Italian!

I have a couple of these drivers, one in its original box enclosure and one without. The oval labels, same as this one, say "Lansing - Lansing Mfg. Co. - Radio Products - Los Angeles."

With my poor computer skills I am unable to save the images from this auction. Don't know why, but I cannot right click and save ebay images anymore. Can someone with the skills grab the images and post them to this thread? It would be much appreciated. Meanwhile I will contact the seller who lives close to me to see if I can stop by to take some more pictures.

Mr. Widget
10-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks for sharing Steve... this is a real beauty!

Widget

SEAWOLF97
10-28-2010, 09:12 AM
that 20's/30's styling is really gracious looking ....sold a mic with the same general look/feel. I'd be attracted to homes of that era if they didnt need so much upgrading.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?14592-FS-Major-Bowes-AHB-microphone

Steve Schell
10-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks much for the pictures Mr. Widget. Can you share your method of capture? I've been missing rare stuff for a couple of years ago since either my computer or ebay's method of presentation changed.

Today I visited the seller, who happened to live only a few blocks from me. He was nice enough to bring the speaker outside for some additional pictures:

Steve Schell
10-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Nuthin' goes right! I selected the pictures 1,2,3,4, but then they uploaded and display in a bizarre order. Computers don't like me.

Robh3606
10-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Hello Steve

Nice pictures! If you are using Windows you should be able to hit the enlarge button and then right click on the mouse and "save picture as".

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
10-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks much for the pictures Mr. Widget. Can you share your method of capture?Macintosh. ;)

Widget

Rolf
10-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Somebody here on the forum should buy it. I can't, as the seller sips only in the US.