PDA

View Full Version : Need a JBL 2440 number.

Woofer
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
OK, here's my dilemma.

I have just got hold of a pair of 2440's which I'd like to refurbish, BUT, unfortunately, only one of the drivers has a badge with a serial number.
The other driver has no badge, therefore NO number.
Now I'd like to get new badges made up but I can't as I only have the one serial number, so they'll have to be put on hold for a little bit.

So what do I do? :confused:

I was thinking, IF somebody out there has a totally trashed 2440, eg: dropped from a multi-storey building etc, and is in no way repairable and will NEVER see the 'street' again, can I either, have what's left of your old badge so I can secure it's number or BUY it for a token amount?
The badge can be wrecked for all I care, so long as it has a readable number and is from a never to be used again 2440.

I'll be honest, it's been suggested to just make one up, well, that just doesn't sit right with me.
(I have a conscience which is at peace at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way) :o:

I know it's not your normal run of the mill question, but I just had to ask.

If ANYONE can help, PLEASE speak up! (or PM me)
... or in my case, BARK loudly! ;)

Anyway, it's very late, (3.45am AEDST :eek: ) and I'm off to bed.
Back soon.

Woofer.

louped garouv
10-19-2010, 09:51 AM
OK, here's my dilemma.

I have just got hold of a pair of 2440's which I'd like to refurbish, BUT, unfortunately, only one of the drivers has a badge with a serial number.
Now I'd like to get new badges made up but I can't as I only have the one serial number, so they'll have to be put on hold for a little bit.

So what do I do? :confused:

I'll be honest, it's been suggested to just make one up, well, that just doesn't sit right with me.
(I have a conscience which is at peace at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way) :o:

Woofer.

maybe just leave the serial number field blank or filled "unkwn" on the one that is missing the focial?

Woofer
10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
maybe just leave the serial number field blank or filled "unkwn" on the one that is missing the focial?

:blink: I think I like my idea better....
... but thanx.

Robh3606
10-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I think I like my idea better....
... but thanx.

With drivers that were made in the thousands over 30 years ago what's in a serial number??

Rob:)

Woofer
10-19-2010, 08:55 PM
With drivers that were made in the thousands over 30 years ago what's in a serial number??

Rob:)

Hi Rob.
When I do a rebuild/restore/refurbish, call it what you will, I have this problem that I like to do it to the highest standard possible. (Including genuine numbers.)

I'd hate to have to be in the position when I try to sell these eventually, listing their numbers, only to have someone email me, and say ".... hey I got that number on my JBL!"
How embarrassment..... :o:
I know, chances are slim, but when it comes to bad luck, I'm really good at that.

Woof...

jw5115
12-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I HAVE MANY BACKS AND LABELS FROM CANABALIED DRIVERS GET ME A NUMBER TO TRY AND FIND SOMTHING NEAR AND YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR THE PACKAGING AND SHIPPING COST.
jw5115 [email protected]

Woofer
12-03-2010, 01:49 AM
I HAVE MANY BACKS AND LABELS FROM CANABALIED DRIVERS GET ME A NUMBER TO TRY AND FIND SOMTHING NEAR AND YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR THE PACKAGING AND SHIPPING COST.
jw5115 [email protected]

I've just sent you an email JW, but I think it may have bounced.
If you don't get it, let me know.....

Woofer
12-22-2010, 08:20 PM
jw5115 [email protected]

There's some great people on these forums, and I'd like to express my extreme gratitude to jw5115 for helping me out. :applaud:
Thanx HEAPS John. :hurray:
My badges arrived just 20 minutes ago all safe n' sound. :thmbsup:

Merry Santa to everyone.... :sleigh:

Eaulive
12-23-2010, 03:46 PM
So now instead of having a driver with no serial number, you have a driver with a wrong serial number... :blink::confused:

Sorry if I don't understand but it kinds of defeats the very purpose of the serial number...

Odd
12-23-2010, 04:22 PM
For those of us who buy used JBL, I hope this is not a common prakis.

Woofer
12-23-2010, 07:54 PM
So now instead of having a driver with no serial number, you have a driver with a wrong serial number... :blink::confused:

Sorry if I don't understand but it kinds of defeats the very purpose of the serial number...

I understand your point, but I was seeing it from a slightly different POV.
Instead of having two badly battered 2440's, I now have two nicely restored 2440's.
OK, so one was missing a rear foilcal, but now it has been replaced with one from a driver that was trashed.
Also, both have new 2441 diaphragms fitted, and have been tried and tested, and come up to spec.
... and I must stress the point, that the word deception, does not come into the equation.
To me, the most important thing was that they both had badges.
I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, proof being, I've been quite transparent of my intentions here on the forum and as a result, a very nice pair of 2440's have been resurrected and will be put to good use.

Cheers. ;)

For those of us who buy used JBL, I hope this is not a common prakis.

More common than you may think, but by some that are a lot more secretive than I.
;)

Maron Horonzakz
12-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Replacing a lable,,diaphram,,push connectors or woofer cone,,is all in restoration,,I dont see anything wrong with that,, some people can be so anal..

4313B
12-24-2010, 07:30 AM
OK, here's my dilemma.

So what do I do? :confused:Get some nice badges made without serial numbers. No one has a record of any of those numbers anymore. Who cares about serial numbers? :screwy: Are you guys using these things and listening to them or are you building sick, twisted little shrines complete with sequential serial numbers and candles? Hell, use LEFT as one "serial number" and RIGHT as the other "serial number" if you need to differentiate between the two drivers. :rotfl:

Mannermusic
12-24-2010, 07:45 AM
In fact, many of the components in pro product assemblies don't even have badges - just the component ID in white paint. I have 2426H and 2404H-1 drivers with the white paint ID.

Woofer
12-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Get some nice badges made without serial numbers. No one has a record of any of those numbers anymore. Who cares about serial numbers? :screwy: Are you guys using these things and listening to them or are you building sick, twisted little shrines complete with sequential serial numbers and candles? Hell, use LEFT as one "serial number" and RIGHT as the other "serial number" if you need to differentiate between the two drivers. :rotfl:

That's just being plain nasty..... :o:
Someone gave me FOUR 2440's on the proviso that I get two restored to really good condition, for which I get to keep two for my troubles.
So the two that have been restored (so far) will be returned to the owner, and pro'ly get resold, and yes, they have their original badges.
The other 'odd' pair will also get restored, and now thanks to the graciousness of another member here, I get to have two complete (including badges) drivers as well.
Yes, I could've bought a brand new badge without a number for a premium, but I was lucky enough to get one that did, and more importantly, donated to my cause.
BTW, I'm not really made of money as some are here, and everything I do, is always on an extremely low budget, but I sure got some great things to show for my tenacity.
For a while I was feeling quite good about my progress, but I guess some of you guys just put an end to that. :(
I apologise for bringing it up and offending some of you..... :crying:

hjames
12-24-2010, 07:52 AM
That's just being plain nasty..... :o:
Someone gave me FOUR 2440's on the proviso that I get two restored to really good condition, for which I get to keep two for my troubles.

BTW, I'm not really made of money as some are here, and everything I do, is always on an extremely low budget, but I sure got some great things to show for my tenacity.

For a while I was feeling quite good about my progress, but I guess some of you guys just put an end to that. :(
I apologize for bringing it up and offending some of you..... :crying:

Never apologize for sharing, when the pissy few try and trash your story ...
A number of us DO appreciate the progress you made.
Never worry if the bitter old shirts pee onto your sucesses.

Its Christmas time and if they can't be joyful, fark 'em and smile anyway!

Woofer
12-24-2010, 07:53 AM
In fact, many of the components in pro product assemblies don't even have badges - just the component ID in white paint. I have 2426H and 2404H-1 drivers with the white paint ID.

Yes, very true, but it wasn't always like that.
If you go back a tad more, everything had badges.

Woofer
12-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Never apologize for sharing, when the pissy few try and trash your story ...
A number of us DO appreciate the progress you made.
Never worry if the bitter old shirts pee onto your sucesses.

Its Christmas time and if they can't be joyful, fark 'em and smile anyway!

:o: Thanks so much for that Heather. I needed a bit of Christmas cheer. :presents:

4313B
12-24-2010, 08:11 AM
That's just being plain nasty.....I thought it was funny. :) Nothing nasty about it at all.

I guess I should have simply said "Don't worry about it."

In fact, many of the components in pro product assemblies don't even have badges - just the component ID in white paint. I have 2426H and 2404H-1 drivers with the white paint ID.Exactly. Both Pro and Consumer.

I received a pair of W1500H's awhile back and JBL had packed them so poorly that both "foilcals" were utterly destroyed rubbing on the bottoms of the shipping boxes. I removed what was left of them. They really aren't foilcals these days, they are more like plastic labels. There is virtually no way to get new "plasticals" for them so they'll just have to do their jobs without them. Maybe someday I'll have some nice foilcals made for them.

Woofer
12-24-2010, 08:20 AM
I thought it was funny. :) Nothing nasty about it at all.

I guess I should have simply said "Don't worry about it."
Exactly. Pro and Consumer both.

My apologies for seeing it as being sarcasm....
... and as I mentioned earlier, (post #17), painted ID wasn't the case with 2440's etc.

4313B
12-24-2010, 08:33 AM
My apologies for seeing it as being sarcasm....
... and as I mentioned earlier, (post #17), painted ID wasn't the case with 2440's etc.Yeah, I remember when I saw my first "painted label" driver. I was like "What's up with this!? This isn't the JBL I know." But times change...

SEAWOLF97
12-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Yes, very true, but it wasn't always like that.
If you go back a tad more, everything had badges.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

OR , ( if you have to be original )

"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_profanity#Other_terms) and ching' tu madre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_profanity#Verbs_denoting_sexual_acts)! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_badges

Woofer
12-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I remember when I saw my first "painted label" driver. I was like "What's up with this!? This isn't the JBL I know." But times change...

First time I saw 'em without was from some Pro boxes. Can't remember which now. I guess that makes sense.
Apparently "over the counter" replacement speakers still had badges, for sale reasons I s'pose.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

OR , ( if you have to be original )

"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_profanity#Other_terms) and ching' tu madre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_profanity#Verbs_denoting_sexual_acts)! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."

OMG, don't tell me YOU'VE jumped on the bandwagon too now?

I'm doomed..... :eek:

SEAWOLF97
12-24-2010, 08:59 AM
OMG, don't tell me YOU'VE jumped on the bandwagon too now?

I'm doomed..... :eek:

naw , I've just got bigger fish to fry....

'cides , us wolfs /woofs gotta stick together ...

Woofer
12-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Those IC's did the trick BTW SW.
Wired everything up today, and not a hum or a buzz anywhere.
I'm going to actually turn it on tomorrow..... :p

SEAWOLF97
12-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Those IC's did the trick BTW SW.
Wired everything up today, and not a hum or a buzz anywhere.
I'm going to actually turn it on tomorrow..... :p

kewl. I was surprised how good they are ...despite Phils "MiC" comment

my mains are 100 percent connected with that stuff , and sounds great..:D

subwoof
12-24-2010, 10:21 AM
the cabaret series was the last to use real "foilcal" components....sigh..

with the loss of foilcals, rubber "tires" and other cosmetics assembling custom speakers seems a little less real at times.

over the years the collection of foilcals ( and tnuts, gaskets, hardware, whosits and whatchamacallits ) gleamed from damaged cabinets and components has allowed me to "complete" projects for myself and friends and never is the thought that we were decieving anyone.

yeah...we woofs need to form a union or somethin'

SEAWOLF97
12-24-2010, 10:48 AM
yeah...we woofs need to form a union or somethin'

well, since this thread has played out .....mebbe the 3 of us need to synch watches and go howl at the moon in unison , or somethin' ?? :crying:

OBTW: I got my moniker the honest way ...I worked for it

http://www.seawolf.org/index.asp

subwoof
12-24-2010, 11:00 AM
ok. at the stroke of midnight, after consuming a fair mount of double india pale ale, commence to lift the right leg onto a snowbank and annoint. assuming there is snow there....

Maron Horonzakz
12-24-2010, 02:17 PM
And a merry christmas to all !!!!!!!!

Woofer
12-25-2010, 10:55 AM
well, since this thread has played out .....mebbe the 3 of us need to synch watches and go howl at the moon in unison , or somethin' ?? :crying:
http://www.seawolf.org/index.asp

Well, I'll have to "meow" but I don't think it'll have the same effect somehow.... :o:

And a merry christmas to all !!!!!!!!

Yes indeed. God bless you all, whatever your faith.
:happyh:

Woofer.

Eaulive
12-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I understand your point, but I was seeing it from a slightly different POV.
Instead of having two badly battered 2440's, I now have two nicely restored 2440's.
OK, so one was missing a rear foilcal, but now it has been replaced with one from a driver that was trashed.
Also, both have new 2441 diaphragms fitted, and have been tried and tested, and come up to spec.
... and I must stress the point, that the word deception, does not come into the equation.
To me, the most important thing was that they both had badges.
I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, proof being, I've been quite transparent of my intentions here on the forum and as a result, a very nice pair of 2440's have been resurrected and will be put to good use.

Cheers. ;)

More common than you may think, but by some that are a lot more secretive than I.
;)

Well, if your purpose was to get a foilcal, I can understand it, just tell the eventual owner that the serial is not the right one and it was for cosmetic purposes only :)

Woofer
12-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Well, if your purpose was to get a foilcal, I can understand it, just tell the eventual owner that the serial is not the right one and it was for cosmetic purposes only :)

That'll be ME! :p

There are 4 drivers. 3 with, and 1 without. (although replaced now)
The 2 with original foilcals are the ones being sold.
.... and I don't have ANY problems with having a replaced one.

Is there anything else that bothers you?
I'll be happy to answer you if there is..... ;)

rjtimmerman
06-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Hello, I do make replacement "foilcal" rear badges with serial numbers stamped for these and most all other models.
Regards, r.J
[email protected]