PDA

View Full Version : Special Design Emminence Speaker

boputnam
08-14-2004, 05:07 PM
Yup, that's exactly what Fender labels this in their brochure for the "Blues Junior" tube amp.

I'll say its special - that seam goes smack-dab across the compliance... :(

GordonW
08-14-2004, 11:12 PM
What exactly is supposed to be wrong with that picture? That's exactly how that type of guitar amp speakers have been made for the last ~50 years, by Eminence, Jensen, Utah and such. WITH the seam. It's part of the DESIGN. Without the seam, it won't have the same sound...

For a "classic blues" sound, there's no more authentic way to do the speaker cone, really... while the purists will insist on alnico magnets (and Eminence does offer those, it's just that Fender doesn't spec them for everything, ceramic magnet drivers get a lot of play over there), the majority of the "sound" comes from that cone design.

BTW: Did you know, if you order the Jensen "reissue" speakers (the ones manufactured in Italy) these days, that you get the SAME EXACT CONE as this Eminence? Yep, SAME paper pressing company, supplying both...

Regards,
Gordon.
who hangs around pro-audio reconers more than is probably necessary...

Ian Mackenzie
08-14-2004, 11:33 PM
I'll say its special - that seam goes smack-dab across the compliance...

Well where else would it go......Damn Yankeee.......

Gordon, Don't worry Bo can take the piss......LOL

Hey, didn't you used to work in a HiFi shop?.....Just pro reconing seems a long ways from home

Ian:rotfl:

boputnam
08-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by GordonW
Without the seam, it won't have the same sound...
I knew that - I've replaced many of these. All the same - but still marvel at the cheapness. We out here are the aftermarket for the E-series...

We all know, if it was right, JBL would do it, too...

boputnam
08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Here's a 10 inch Fender Emminence Special Design from a few months back...

Seam at 7 o'clock

boputnam
08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Without the seam, it won't have the same sound...
Oh yea - if you've never heard them WITHOUT the seam, you'll be amazed when you do! :yes:

PSS AUDIO
08-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
Oh yea - if you've never heard them WITHOUT the seam, you'll be amazed when you do! :yes:

This reminds me when we were manufacturing monitors with Eminence speakers, we had to modify the medium speaker (8MR100) by drilling 4 holes on the dome AND melting it with some special compound to get this speaker sound nice!

Zilch
08-15-2004, 02:01 PM
The "Sound" in question is D110, D120, or D130. It'd double the cost of the amps to put today's equivalents in them, is all. NOTHING "rings" like true JBL there.

'Course, TRUE vintage blues sound was achieved by some drunk puttin' their foot through the cone. This we more gracefully emulate with "overdrive" circuitry built into most all amps now....

There seems to be little point in Fender simulating the British simulation of Fender JBL vintage sound. Except to make more money, perhaps. LOL

This forum certainly knows the drill: Put vintage JBL's in any contemporary amp and it's, "DOOD, where you gettin' that KILLER retro TONE!"

"Ill TELL ya, after you help me lug these beasts out to the van, now...."

Neodymium versions would revolutionize the market.

"Dream on, silly Zilchster...."

:rockon1: :bouncy:

boputnam
08-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
...drilling 4 holes on the dome AND melting it with some special compound to get this speaker sound nice! :rotfl:

boputnam
08-15-2004, 07:43 PM
For a "classic blues" sound, there's no more authentic way to do the speaker cone, really... :bs: That is absurd.

The more that rings in my head, the more it rings in my head. I simply cannot lay quiet. Come on, Gordon, you made that up. The original, JBL's for Fenders, did not have that seam. Period. As you are such a fanatic of antiquity, you know that, too. The seam originates in cheaper manufacturing.

The "classic blues" sound is derived from overdriving the 12AX7 tube. The cleaner the (seamless) cone reproduces that "effect", the better.

OK, lemme have it... :duck:

Don C
08-15-2004, 07:53 PM
I think that the point is that these are intended as producers of sound, rather than reproducers of sound. If the seam in the cone adds distortion, who cares, maybe that is what makes it sound good.

GordonW
08-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
:bs: That is absurd.

The more that rings in my head, the more it rings in my head. I simply cannot lay quiet. Come on, Gordon, you made that up. The original, JBL's for Fenders, did not have that seam. Period. As you are such a fanatic of antiquity, you know that, too. The seam originates in cheaper manufacturing.

The "classic blues" sound is derived from overdriving the 12AX7 tube. The cleaner the (seamless) cone reproduces that "effect", the better.

OK, lemme have it... :duck:

Well, it depends on which speaker you're using, in which amp. Sure, some amps used JBL drivers... but for one of them, there were TEN (including Fender, Gibson, Vox, Selmer and many others) that used a Jensen or Celestion driver, of that basic design... WITH the seam. The point is, it was THERE, from the beginning.

There's MORE than one sound, that people were (and are) looking for... and if it's the "fuzzy" type, then usually those Jensen-design drivers are the thing that's going to give it to you.

In short, in an MI application, it IS about the speaker being a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT in itself, not an "accurate reproducer". Sometimes, in this pursuit, the JBL stuff is percieved as "too clean"... you don't know how many times I've heard THAT statement from musicians. Some even take the example of Jimi Hendrix, and actually take RAZOR BLADES to the cones of their speakers, to make them even more "rich" sounding on breakup!

As for tube: is "12AX7" some funny mis-spelling of "6L6" or "6V6"? 'Cause from my experience, it's the output tube and transformer that gives the majority of that wonderful "vintage sound" saturation. Preamp tube distortion is a more recent thing, for more rock-n-roll players, from what I've seen. But even then, tube distortion is only HALF the picture, for many players...

Ian- I still do work at a hifi shop. But, I'm in and out of the local PA repair place so often (the owners are great friends of mine), that some people seem to THINK I work there too!! :D

Regards,
Gordon.

mikebake
08-16-2004, 06:32 AM
I think it is a safe bet to say that Eminence could make them in whatever manner they choose, and that seam is a choice for reasons other than money. They HAVE been on a mission of late to replicate a number of vintage MI driver types.

Zilch
08-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Humbucker vs. single-pole, then.

PAF and etc....

Yada, yada, yada....

:barf:

There's ONE elegant way to do this. It just ain't cheap enough, is all....

GordonW
08-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by mikebake
I think it is a safe bet to say that Eminence could make them in whatever manner they choose, and that seam is a choice for reasons other than money. They HAVE been on a mission of late to replicate a number of vintage MI driver types.

Exactly. And on this one, they're makeing EXACTLY what Fender SPEC'D for them to make... when you build a speaker, you do what the client wants...

Regards,
Gordon.

boputnam
08-17-2004, 06:30 AM
:spin: