PDA

View Full Version : RIP Scott Fitlin...

louped garouv
10-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi Guys...

just wanted to pass along some sad info. I had come across...

RIP Scott Fitlin...

you will be missed.

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=11091

1audiohack
10-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Whoa that's lousy news! All I can say is I hope it's not true! And if it is, I hope everything I learned in church about what happens to great people is true.

Where ever you are Scotty, I wish you all the best!!!

4313B
10-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Well that's a hell of a note...

My condolences to his family and friends.

He was a very generous person, positive and enthusiastic. He'll be missed.

Earl K
10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Hi Guys...

just wanted to pass along some sad info. I had come across...

RIP Scott Fitlin...

you will be missed.

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=11091

That is truly shocking news .

Scott you will be missed very much , Rest in Peace brother .

<> EarlK

SEAWOLF97
10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
I was hoping that this news wasn't REAL...but seems it is..

http://amusingthezillion.com/2010/10/13/rest-in-peace-scott-fitlin-coney-islands-eldorado-man/

the forum has truly lost a great member. He helped me many times,
and he was great to "talk" with.., swore I could hear his Eldorado even in Oregon.

About scott fitlin

Date of Birth
January 1st (1948)
Biography Vott freak
Location Brooklyn NY
Interests sex, audio, music, food, sex
Occupation Self employed

I can't believe we've just lost another member of this "family".
Widget

this is an aging "family" ... a double edged sword for sure = lots of experience , but we will
be losing more friends .

JBL 4645
10-14-2010, 08:33 AM
I’m stunned! My last chat with Scotty, was on the pm late of last month. I don’t believe this.:(

I was hoping that this wasnt REAL...but seems it is..

http://amusingthezillion.com/2010/10/13/rest-in-peace-scott-fitlin-coney-islands-eldorado-man/

the forum has truly lost a great member. He helped me many times.

And moderator as well!:(

RIP Scooty mate.

spkrman57
10-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Scott and I exchanged phone calls a few years ago concerning a amp purchase.

He was a straight-up guy and will be missed.

Ron

Altec Best
10-14-2010, 09:17 AM
My Thoughts and Prayers go out to Scott's Family and Friends !! R.I.P. You will be missed.

jcrobso
10-14-2010, 09:34 AM
I will miss his posts, lots of real world sound expertise now gone!:crying:
My prayers are with his family and loved ones!

Robh3606
10-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I am really going to miss him:( My condolences to his familly.

Rob:(

Mr. Widget
10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
I am shocked. I talked with him recently on the phone and he was healthy and happy...

I just tried calling but couldn't get through. He will most certainly be missed. My condolences to his family.

I can't believe we've just lost another member of this "family".

Widget

edgewound
10-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm shocked, stunned at this news.

Scotty and I spoke via telephone a few times...I wanted to meet him and experience the Eldorado and Coney Island. Life is too short to put off some plans....Many things will be missed.

His enthusiasm for real quality audio will be missed.

Rest easy, Scott. The next thunderstorm...I'll be thinking of you.

JeffW
10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
That's just heartbreaking news, he was so passionate and enthusiastic. What a loss.

SMKSoundPro
10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Holy WOW!!!

Scottyj and I talked on the phone MANY times about club sound systems, amps, drivers and his other concerns - drug and alcohol addiction.

It is no secret that Scott and I had some tough discussions. Mainly centered around the purchase of two Crown MA3600 amps. I sent him the cashier's check in November, and after much prodding by LH moderators, and finally a call to his mother, got the amps in March or April. This was not a good experience, and in the middle of all of this, he and I talked AA and recovery. He would tell me when he was sober and not. He had some internal demons to fight and shared snipets of those with me.

For a year or so after receiving the amps, I was done talking to him. Then out of the blue, he called me to ask if I was mad at him for the lengthy transaction, and I told him, "yes I am" in a tough love addict/sponser kind of way. We buried our hatchetts in the sand then and there, and then talked about club sound systems once again. He always said he would make it up by sending a couple of Radian diaphragms to make up for the transaction and that never materialized. So again, I just let it go.

Then, out of the blue on a Saturday night at 11:30pm my time, 3:30am his time, he called to see if I was mad at him, still, for the amps deal. He sounded loaded and I just gently assured him that all was okay and to go to bed.

I am floored at this news and am adding this story of our relationship here on LH because of the knowledge of sound systems he possessed, and of some of the demons that possessed him. We in the sound/nightclub business meet people like this all of the time, that are so brilliant and passionate about their world, yet find it hard to walk away from the grip that booze and drugs can have upon our entire lives.

I donot know that circumstances of Scotty J's death, and hope that the causes were natural. He was a great supporter of LH and of the other forums where I have found his name. Lisa and I will miss him and his phone calls. His posts here are forever and his knowledge of JBL, extensive.

Good luck to you ScottyJ, and rest in peace.

Signed,
Sorrowfully,

ScottyK.

cooky1257
10-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I only had the pleasure of talking with Scott via this forum, always helpful and forthright I enjoyed his posts and had hoped to meet him face to face on a future New York trip.

My sincere condolences to his family and all he leaves behind.
Cooky

Titanium Dome
10-14-2010, 12:34 PM
@%@$#! *(#&^<>: _)+º•∞ io <)(*$%# !!!!!!!!

˚©ƒ√ç∂∂ߥ√∆ ´∑œåß∂ß߈ ˆøπ *(^%fl‡°·‚‚— !!!!!!

piss piss piss

:( :crying:

JBL 4645
10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
@%@$#! *(#&^<>: _)+º•∞ io <)(*$%# !!!!!!!!

˚©ƒ√ç∂∂ߥ√∆ ´∑œåß∂ß߈ ˆøπ *(^%fl‡°·‚‚— !!!!!!

piss piss piss

:( :crying:

Well Doug you don’t seem too happy about reading this. It is a bummer and I don’t understand myself why? Why ScottyJ taken so early in life.:(

I cried a bit reading though the other links, people that knew him, or wanted to meet him, and it just brought me down in tears.

jcrobso
10-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Well Doug you don’t seem too happy about reading this. It is a bummer and I don’t understand myself why? Why ScottyJ taken so early in life.:(

I cried a bit reading though the other links, people that knew him, or wanted to meet him, and it just brought me down in tears.

On 8/17/10 we all were wishing him a happy birthday and now we are grieving over a loss.:(
Three years ago this week I was in the hospital, I almost died of septic shock. The survival rate for this is about 33%, I'm very lucky to be alive. I don't take life for granted any more, every day is precious. Today I'm alive and grieving over the loss of a LH friend!
My father was an alcoholic, I understand some of the battles.

Titanium Dome
10-14-2010, 01:32 PM

I've just finished a couple of miles of hard running to clean out the lightning bolts in my brain. I was literally speechless.

Scott and I connected on a couple of levels, and I promised him I'd be out to see his place and hear his system before it closed for the season. Not now.

One thing we had in deep communion was a love and respect for today's best music: dance, trance, urban beats, club mixes. His place was in fact all of those things: a dance hall (with bumper cars), an entrancing environment, an urban crossroads, and a club. I think he was even more enthusiastic than I about the music. When we'd discuss it, he was totally mental about it. He said he'd let me spin on his system when I came out. Not now.

I'm playing "Love Is Alive (Harry Lemon Remix Re-Edit)" by Not Ferris in his memory right now. The L250s are giving it all they've got, and everyone in my office thinks I've lost it, sitting here dabbing my eyes and blasting out, but shit, I'm the boss, so they'll take it. It's what Scott would have done. :)

JBL 4645
10-14-2010, 01:40 PM
On 8/17/10 we all were wishing him a happy birthday and now we are grieving over a loss.:(
Three years ago this week I was in the hospital, I almost die of septic shock. The survival rate for this is about 33%, I'm very lucky to be alive. I don't take life for granted any more, every day is precious. Today I'm alive and grieving over the loss of a LH friend!
My father was an alcoholic, I understand some of the battles.

jcrobso

I understand.

I think we should all, have moments silence on Friday starting 12 midday UK and 12 midday west central and east for US, for one hour.:(

Doug

I understand you're pain and how this pisses you off, it doesn't seem right. And now you won't be able to share a friendly chat with him...This doesn't seem right.:(

hjames
10-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Dear god - what news ...!
What a darned shame - what a loss - what a great guy to chat with ...
Been meaning to go up there and check the place out, but guess now I'll never meet him around these parts ... DAMN!

grumpy
10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
:(

richluvsound
10-14-2010, 03:16 PM
What a good man ! I was just talking to him last week .... A loss to everyone here to be sure .

My condolences to his family and close friends .....

I bloody hate that illness more than any other . Why can some people get the message and others not .... I guess only the HP knows that answer ...
I'm deeply sad when a brother or sister loses the fight ...

Rich.... a grateful friend of Bill W

Fred Sanford
10-14-2010, 03:24 PM
This has been a tough week...so sorry to hear about Scott. Coney Island (and LHF) just isn't going to be the same.

je

Audiobeer
10-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I never had any deals with Scott but did learn a lot from his posts. What a shame, what a loss. Rest in peace Scott! :(

mikebake
10-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Crap! A shock.
RIP Scott. You knew how to rock the house, bro!

BMWCCA
10-14-2010, 07:06 PM
:(

How sad, and how sad to miss someone you never had the chance to know!

:crying:

yggdrasil
10-15-2010, 12:32 AM
RIP Scott. My condolences to your family.

opimax
10-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Sad news indeed! I met Scott at Coney Island 1 time. he didn't recognize me from the forum but treated as the nicest guest, played his system a little louder for me and chatted about equipment , very generous offered me and my 2 friends to ride the cars for the fun it. Hr just took time to be extra nice even though he was very busy...

Mark

demon
10-15-2010, 12:53 PM
RIP Scott, you'll be missed!!!

:crying:

doucanoe
10-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Oh my. This is sad news indeed :(

Rest in peace, Scott. You will be missed.

RC

JuniorJBL
10-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Scott will be missed by me. This is sad to have lost another really good member here on LHF.
One good thing is I can still re-read posts by him and his memory will live on here at LHF.:dj-party:

NAVDEEP
10-17-2010, 06:34 PM
:(**** rip **** clubman5****:(

Fangio
10-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Such a generous guy, so knowledgeable. :(

He will be dearly missed, not only in real life, but also everywhere he contributed, on the internet.

R.I.P. Scotty J.

SteveW
10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Sad news indeed. Most certainly passionate about his craft - wore it on his sleeve.

RIP Scott.

lgvenable
10-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Well I had a great set of experiences with Scotty!

Out of the blue he gave me a shout last year and bought me out of 2240H's which I'd had three laying around, so he could use them at Eldorado in Coney island. It was a straight up transaction, he was an asset who always had great comments.

God Speed Scotty....
Larry

mech986
10-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Hadn't checked in for a few weeks and this was the first thread :eek: :crying:

Just overwhelmed to hear the news and reading about all the people on Coney Island and the internet boards he frequented who knew him, knew of him, or were touched by his generosity.

As above, all of us have some demons somewhere, and sometimes they contribute to our downfall. I only hope that where Scott is, the demons no longer possess him, the music is JBL, CLEAR AND LOUD, and he's bumpin' his ass off with John Eargle and JBL hisownself!

God would not have it any other way.

RIP Scott Fitlin, you will be sorely missed but never forgotten. Mods, please update his avatar as MIA.

Regards,

Bart

timc
10-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Didnt see this until now.

Don't know what to say. Have followed his development of the Eldorado system with great curiosity.

RIP Scott

Ducatista47
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Just saw this. My heart goes out to his family and close friends.

We old Baby Boomer farts need to make the most of each moment. Not live it like it was our last, but enjoy it and spread the joy. I dealt with something like this recently and thank goodness there is not much I regret. Mostly I am so grateful to have known her at all.

Perhaps that is how we might feel about Scotty.

Clark

Rolf
10-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Hi friends.

I have not been much active to read posts the last month, and the news of Scott makes me very sad. Scott and I had some private mails, as well as on the forum, mostly of dogs and other private things.

Does anybody knows what happened? He was only 62 years?

I am crying right now as I write this.

I hope you are in a better place now Scotty.

All my best to his family, and to his many friends both here at LH and others.

Rolf

Mr. Widget
10-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Even sadder... Scotty was born in 1962, he was only 48 years old.

Widget

jcrobso
10-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Widget
My oldest daughter was born in 1966, Sotty was only 4 years older than she is.:(:(

Rolf
10-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Ooh, I read somewhere he was born in 1948. 4 years before me. I am 58.

This make me think of that it is "good" that we don't know what tomorrow brings". Next time it maybe me. I hope somebody check it out if I don't reply for some time. I have given the password to this site to my doughtier.

Widget

Rolf
10-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Why is it that the best people goes first? Like Scotty, and other members here at LHF that has gone the past years. The idiot's (maybe like me?) still lives.

I have been so lucky that I have found some real friends here on the forum. Someone that I know I can come visit, and they can visit me. All my friends: You are welcome to my place!

I don't know, I just feel sad.

Rolf

SEAWOLF97
10-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Ooh, I read somewhere he was born in 1948. 4 years before .

His profile (since modified) said birth date was 1-1-48 , but Widget has a different date...never met him and dont know which is correct.

before profile was changed ,, it said:

About scott fitlin
Date of Birth January 1st (1948)
Biography Vott freak
Location Brooklyn NY
Occupation Self employed

now says:

About scott fitlin
Biography Vott freak
Location Brooklyn NY
Occupation Self employed

Mr. Widget
10-22-2010, 06:38 PM
His profile ( since modified) said birth date was 1-1-48 , but Widget has a different date...never met him and dont know which is correct.

before it was changed ,, it said:

About scott fitlin
Date of Birth January 1st (1948)
Biography Vott freak
Location Brooklyn NY
Occupation Self employed

now says:

About scott fitlin
Biography Vott freak
Location Brooklyn NY
Occupation Self employedDon't know where that came from... I have his birthday as:

August 16, 1962

Regardless, it really doesn't matter... it is such a shame that he is gone.

Widget

HCSGuy
10-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Very sad news - the forum has lost a great resource. I will miss his posts' positivity. He loved to post about what he liked, and was a great moderator - he kept things on the up, even when dealing with rants (at least on all the threads I've seen in my short history here). I am glad, though, that JohnAec now has someone to argue pro audio with :p

On a more pragmatic note, JohnAec had Rick/rbs4000 to help him liquidate his collection and get maximum value for it - Is there anyone local to Scotty that new him that can help with this? I'm sure he had rooms full of stuff and I would s**t if I saw a flipper/estate guy making a ton of money off Scotty's equipment - I'm sure he or his family have needs that could be better taken care of. Again, if anyone here knew him personally, contact his family and see if we can help.

I'm going out to the shop to crank up the system and spin one in his honor.

Titanium Dome
10-22-2010, 11:05 PM
He told me more than once he couldn't believe I was more than ten years older, but then I couldn't believe he was as old as he was. Since we both like(ed) the same current, non-mainstream music, it was difficult to imagine we were two or three generations older than the artists creating it.

Krunchy
10-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Been out of the loop here for a bit but....wow, I cant believe it :( So sorry to hear about this, my condolences to his family.
I have been busy (like everybody else) and dearly miss this forum and all the members that make up this "family" for it really is like that in many ways.

Sad news indeed. :( I'll miss seeing his posts & avatar :)

Altec Best
10-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Maybe you guys (Widget & Rob) would consider a "Staff Emeritus" under his name where it says moderator for Scotty J :dont-know:

48 years old way too young ! :crying: You just never Know.Make the most out of what you can.This thing called life, is but only a very short ride !!

Steve Schell
10-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Aw, gosh! I'm so sad to hear of Scott's departure. He was so much fun, and I admired his high energy level and enthusiasm for all things audio. He was generous always, expressing appreciation for my hysterical historical ramblings. I'm really gonna miss him, and feel especially sorry for those who were close to him and have to deal with a loss of this magnitude.

Mr. Widget
10-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm really gonna miss him, and feel especially sorry for those who were close to him and have to deal with a loss of this magnitude.From numerous phone conversations I got the feeling his family was both small and tight. I wish I had their contact info so that we could let them know how much he'll be missed.

Widget

svollmer
10-26-2010, 04:35 AM
I found this short audio interview with Scott that was posted last Friday by some friends:

http://www.coneyislandhistory.org/news/?p=484

JBL 4645
10-26-2010, 09:16 AM
svollmer

cheers for the audio clip, nice find.:)

I’m not going anywhere. I guess I've got the sand, in my shoes.
Scott Fitlin

Well wish you were still here to share more of that sand, Scotty, Bumb! Bumb!:D

Oldmics
11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I"M floored :eek:

The man had incredeble passion for his beliefs.

We had many discussions both on and off the Forum.It was always a fun experience!

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Gods Speed Scotto

Oldmics/John Harding

Ken Pachkowsky
11-07-2010, 11:24 AM
This is very sad to hear. I have had many interesting chats with Scott over the years. This news makes me very sorry I did not take the time to swing out and visit with him on my last trip through New York.

He certainly was a lover of hi end audio and this forum. I will miss him......as we all will.

Our thoughts are with his family.

Ken

Ian Mackenzie
11-12-2010, 05:19 AM
I've also been out of the loop of late and just saw this thread.

Sad news indeed.

I met Scotty when I toured the States previously. It was either in 2004 or 2007 l don't recall but it was quite memorable. We spent most of our time together in his work shop talking audio, mainly active crossovers and the history of his system.

Then Scotty took me on one of those crazy rides...

I met his Mum and Dad and I recall Scotty saying that his Dad had visited Luna Park in Melbourne once.

Since then we kept in touch and shared pms regularly and I would always get a pm on Christmas Day.

Scotty's posts were one thing and always a joy to read but he was bigger than life in person and one of the most passionate guys I have met when it comes it audio.

As Mr Widget says it is such a shame that he is gone.

Doc Mark
11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Greetings, Friends,

I have been away for a while, taking care of the myriad "things" that pop up in all our lives, and only stopping by for a brief peek to see what you've all been up to. Finding this very sad news about Scotty today, my 61st birthday, is absolutely a stunning turn of events!! In truth, though I did not know him, other than corresponding here, I felt like I did. He seemed to grab live by the throat and squeeze out every single bit of goodness from it, and I shall miss reading his posts, very much. I am sorry that Sweet Bride and I never got to meet him in his beloved Eldorado. My he rest in peace, and may his soul find happiness and comfort, and maybe a sort of "JBL Nirvana", where ever he may be. Sad, sad news....... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark and Sweet Bride

jbl
12-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Just came across this thread. Very sad news.

cosmos
12-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Very sad news. RIP Scott. Peace and love to his family and friends.