PDA

View Full Version : Just inherited some Vintage Altec Speakers - need advice

xrochester
09-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Just inherited a set of Altec 846u speakers from my brother who sadly passed away at the young age of 52.

First question - can someone help me place a value on these speakers? As I am the executor of the estate, they may have to be sold as I don't really have the room for them, plus I live in a condo. Otherwise, I would purchase them from the estate.

I just cranked them up for the first time yesterday - they still sound amazing. The woofer cones seem to be in perfect shape and there is no distortion coming from the speakers. I had them hooked up to a Carver HR-772 receiver and they were LOUD, crisp highs, tight bass, just very nice sounding. The cabinets could use a very light refinishing due to being moved around over the years, they have a few minor scuff marks on them. A little lemon oil may go a long way to bringing them back. I haven't tried that yet.

My brother was the original owner and I can remember when he first got these speakers back in the mid-70's. I used to sit in his bedroom when he wasn't home and listen to Mahvishnu Orchester, Return to Forever, Stanley Clarke and so on. So these speakers have significant sentimental value to me - I wish I could keep them. They are basically a family heirloom. But unfortunatley, they may have to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciate47779d47778.47777 47776

rgwalker
09-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Just inherited a set of Altec 846u speakers from my brother who sadly passed away at the young age of 52.

First question - can someone help me place a value on these speakers? As I am the executor of the estate, they may have to be sold as I don't really have the room for them, plus I live in a condo. Otherwise, I would purchase them from the estate.

The market is down these days and Valencias are quite common on Ebay. You'll easily get $800.00 but you may luck out and get a run of bidders and/or no competition.

Valencias shine at low volume and the height makes them great end tables so if space isn't an issue you may want to consider them for the apartment and wait for the market to improve or get a fat overseas sale for them.

Altec Best
10-01-2010, 10:12 AM
+1

I would also like to send my Condolences,I'm very sorry for your loss ! :(