PDA

View Full Version : Sub1500 +olympus Cabinet

mrbluster
08-12-2004, 05:57 AM
Hi, I would like to get some input on the idea of putting a SUB1500 in an Olympus cabinet. The cabinet is an early sealed 2-way (no passive radiator). What kind of response could I expect ? Other suggestions for best results?

Regards,
Mrbluster

4313B
08-12-2004, 07:39 AM
That size enclosure is basically an infinite baffle for the 1500SUB rather than an acoustic suspension. The driver is robust enough that it shouldn't sustain any mechanical damage for lack of restoring force. If you've got the enclosure I'd use it. As for low end extension, there should be plenty ;)

mrbluster
08-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks. Giskard. I do have the cabinet, and think I will give it a try. Would you suggest I exchange or remove the original stuffing? or doesn't it matter?

Regards,

Mrbluster

4313B
08-12-2004, 07:17 PM
The original stuffing shouldn't matter at all.

You might need additional bracing.

Mr. Widget
08-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
The original stuffing shouldn't matter at all.

You might need additional bracing.

I second that. I would take the stuffing out, brace the hell out of the cabinet and put the stuffing back. While these are basically well made cabinets, there has been quite a bit learned over the last 40 years. Don't be afraid to add a cubic foot of wood inside the cabinet.

As I have posted before, I like these woofers in ported cabinets. You might give that a try.

Widget