PDA

View Full Version : Wood Horns

Woody Banks
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Here are the latest versions of the A-290 style Tiger Wood horns for the 2" drivers. I have applied two coats of water based polyurethane.

1audiohack
09-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Man those look cool. When I grow up I want to be just like you!;)

Woody Banks
09-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Man those look cool. When I grow up I want to be just like you!;)

:eek: You actually want to be BALD, BROKE AND CYNICAL?:spchless:

richluvsound
09-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah Woody ,

dont forget 'talented' Dude:applaud: .... I'm gonna have to try and make some wood horns some day soon !

Rich

Woody Banks
09-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Howdy Rich

I was sure glad to see you back at it with your beautiful K2 project. If all goes well the wooden horns will be housed in a K2 style enclosure similiar to yours this winter. I need to learn to build more and buy less.:D

Woody

richluvsound
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi Woody,

thats high praise from you ..... Wood is a wonderful material for recording the love that went into crafting its eventual form ... especially the lighter hardwoods that don't hide the filler that well . And, even if it did, I would know where it was . There are a few pieces in the skip :banghead:
After all , the K2 is fair game now its discontinued . I'll look forward to your thread .
Rich

1audiohack
09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
:eek: You actually want to be BALD, BROKE AND CYNICAL?:spchless:

Let's see, me, me and me, wow I'm really close on this! Now all I need is the talent and more time! You guys are inspiring.

yggdrasil
09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
That are some truly beautiful horns!

Well done.

Altec Best
09-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Here are the latest versions of the A-290 style Tiger Wood horns for the 2" drivers. I have applied two coats of water based polyurethane.

As a carpenter who loves working with wood they are Gorgeous !!! :applaud:

SMKSoundPro
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Outstanding job!!!

Let us see the back side, please?

Scotty.

scott fitlin
09-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Those are really nice horns. What drivers are you planning to use with them?

:thmbsup:

Woody Banks
09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Those are really nice horns. What drivers are you planning to use with them?

Thanks!
I was hoping to own a pair of TAD 4001's with the proceeds from the sale of the 4355's. Since the 4355's haven't found a new owner yet, I have horns but no drivers. The rest of the story goes back a few months. Instead of gearing up to build a single pair of large format horns, it kind of made sense at the time to do a small production run of four pair. One pair for myself and three on speculation. The original plan was to use a duplicating machine to cut down on the labor involved. After assembling the duplicarver, it was now obvious that it was not large enough to handle the job. Anyone need a duplicarver? LOL
To slow things down further, I injured myself using a rotohammer drilling holes in concrete. Carpal tunnel has currently put a damper on my woodworking abilities. I have three horns completed and have a stack of 10 glued up blanks waiting on me to heal. I will post a few more photos a bit later.

cooky1257
09-15-2010, 10:55 AM
They are beautiful Woody-another awesome job.
These look ideal for a stalled project of my own, a very
aesthetically attractive option to be sure.
Is there a way to make them work with the 1.5" throat 435 Be?
Cooky

Woody Banks
09-15-2010, 11:39 AM
They are beautiful Woody-another awesome job.
These look ideal for a stalled project of my own, a very
aesthetically attractive option to be sure.
Is there a way to make them work with the 1.5" throat 435 Be?
Cooky

I know that they sell adapter plates, but I am going to try and produce one in the shop to to deal with the issue.

cooky1257
09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Oh neat. Great pics.
Cooky

kwingylee
09-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks!
I was hoping to own a pair of TAD 4001's with the proceeds from the sale of the 4355's. Since the 4355's haven't found a new owner yet, I have horns but no drivers. The rest of the story goes back a few months. Instead of gearing up to build a single pair of large format horns, it kind of made sense at the time to do a small production run of four pair. One pair for myself and three on speculation. The original plan was to use a duplicating machine to cut down on the labor involved. After assembling the duplicarver, it was now obvious that it was not large enough to handle the job. Anyone need a duplicarver? LOL
To slow things down further, I injured myself using a rotohammer drilling holes in concrete. Carpal tunnel has currently put a damper on my woodworking abilities. I have three horns completed and have a stack of 10 glued up blanks waiting on me to heal. I will post a few more photos a bit later.

These horns look great, so they are for sale?

Woody Banks
09-16-2010, 07:03 PM
These horns look great, so they are for sale?

I first want to test the performance before I make them available for sale. If all goes well, I will have a total of three pairs up for grabs sometime in October.

eso
09-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Those are nice.

I need to finish a few of the projects in my shop... you may have motivated me.

Thanks
eso

scott fitlin
09-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks!
To slow things down further, I injured myself using a rotohammer drilling holes in concrete. Carpal tunnel has currently put a damper on my woodworking abilities. I have three horns completed and have a stack of 10 glued up blanks waiting on me to heal. I will post a few more photos a bit later. Woody, I'll tell you, you do have talent. Now, I know that IF you could produce these horns, YOU could sell them, and sell enough to finance owning a pair of BRAND NEW TAD-4001. I read about your other things that are limiting factors, BUT YOU CAN OVERCOME THEM! I believe this!

OK, carpal tunnel syndrome means you won't build 100 pairs a month, BUT there must be some medical attention to help with this condition, and maybe some non narcotic pain management? Your horns are really GREAT looking, and IF you could sell three to four pairs a month!!! Because there are people that WANT horns like these, you have already got response to this effect in this thread. Horns like these, made from quality woods, will fetch handsome prices, especially if the prices, even though NOT inexpensive, are still less than those from major manufacturers. And, I also say, WE LOVE INDIVIDUALLY MADE PRODUCTS from small entity people, because they are usually made with tremendous care and pride and attention to detail!

And, YEAH, TH-4001 sound INCREDIBLE on wood horns!

Altec Best
09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I first want to test the performance before I make them available for sale. If all goes well, I will have a total of three pairs up for grabs sometime in October.

Hey Woody could you please post those measurements when available and will they have a universal mounting flange for Altec/JBL, Tad, etc... Drivers. One size fits all ! Regards ~ John :)

Altec Best
09-17-2010, 11:58 AM
How much do those TAD's cost.I have a feeling it will be quite Ridiculous !!! :confused:

felixx
09-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Woody
How much $$$ do you think will cost a pair of such radial horns at the end??

Woody Banks
09-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Woody
How much $$$ do you think will cost a pair of such radial horns at the end??

There is so much hand labor involved that I need to price the pair @ $1000 USD plus shipping.

Regards
Woody

scott fitlin
09-20-2010, 09:22 AM
There is so much hand labor involved that I need to price the pair @ $1000 USD plus shipping.

Regards
WoodyYou know what, Woody? THAT is actually a VERY reasonable price. IF you can really make and sell these for that number, and turn a profit, I honestly think you can sell as many pairs as you could make! Have you checked what other makers sell pairs of their wood horns for? Even when TAD was still making theirs, they were extremely expensive. I am not saying you shouldn't sell horns this economically, but I am saying check what the current pricing for horns like yours, made by others is!

Then again, IF you can make em, and sell em at that price, you'll have all the orders for them you could want! I BELIEVE this. A nice side business like this can fund your audio hobby, to the utmost.

And again, YOUR HORNS ARE REALLY NICE! :applaud:

Woody Banks
09-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Woody, I'll tell you, you do have talent. Now, I know that IF you could produce these horns, YOU could sell them, and sell enough to finance owning a pair of BRAND NEW TAD-4001. I read about your other things that are limiting factors, BUT YOU CAN OVERCOME THEM! I believe this!

OK, carpal tunnel syndrome means you won't build 100 pairs a month, BUT there must be some medical attention to help with this condition, and maybe some non narcotic pain management? Your horns are really GREAT looking, and IF you could sell three to four pairs a month!!! Because there are people that WANT horns like these, you have already got response to this effect in this thread. Horns like these, made from quality woods, will fetch handsome prices, especially if the prices, even though NOT inexpensive, are still less than those from major manufacturers. And, I also say, WE LOVE INDIVIDUALLY MADE PRODUCTS from small entity people, because they are usually made with tremendous care and pride and attention to detail!

And, YEAH, TH-4001 sound INCREDIBLE on wood horns!

Thanks Scotty for the kind words and encourgage. You are correct about the carpal tunnel, it's nothing but a speed bump in the highway of life.
I will continue to build wooden horns but not without some kind of mechcanized process to help reduce the hand labor. The duplicarver I put together will work fine for the smaller 1.5" format horns but is too restricted for the A-290 design. The CNC idea is interesting but doesn't fit my shoestring budget. I was thinking of something along the lines of inventions I have seen on the Red Green Show. Just remember, "We are all in this together".:D

richluvsound
09-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Woody ,

there are some Iwata horns here for 2.600.00 euro and they are made from GRP ... I think your selling yourself a little short my friend I think 1500 bucks a pair, and no one is getting taken advantage of . Its just my opinion.

Rich

scott fitlin
09-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Woody ,

there are some Iwata horns here for 2.600.00 euro and they are made from GRP ... I think your selling yourself a little short my friend I think 1500 bucks a pair, and no one is getting taken advantage of . Its just my opinion.

RichThat is what I was saying, too! I am glad someone else is seconding my feelings. Rich, and Woody, that $1500/pr is a RIGHT number to me, and still falls within the realm of very good pricing that remains affordable and attainable.

And Woody, tools can be purchased, some really good deals on used tools can also be had. If you could find the best tools for the job that you like to use, and get a great price on pristine preowned tools, this is the direction I would consider.

And, like I already said, I think IF you could manufacture three to four pairs of horns per month, they would sell. And then, ONCE your doing it, and are achieving success, that just paves the way, and puts you exactly where you want to be, emotionally and financially. It's a WIN WIN situation.

Woody Banks
09-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Woody ,

Rich

Rich, you and Scotty are right. Looking back, there is a butt load of work that goes into the horns that needs to be accounted for. I will adjust my price accordingly when I have them ready for sale. Thanks again for the advice.

Woody

Altec Best
09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
How much do those TAD's cost.I have a feeling it will be quite Ridiculous !!! :confused:

Anyone know the cost of those TAD drivers ? Anyone ?

@Woody there is a tremendous amount of hand labor with regard to making those Horns Woody as a carpenter I agree a lot of work. Stunning work too! Your very talented :applaud:

Best Wishes ~ John

jerry_rig
09-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Anyone know the cost of those TAD drivers ? Anyone ?

According to this link you can buy the TD-4001s new for $2420 each:

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/index.php/products/tad_td4001

Audiogon has them for $1600 a pair used:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1289086090&/TAD-TD-4001

richluvsound
09-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Woody ,

there are those that would take advantage and not think twice about it . I have had experiences in the past . I quote a price and then realize I have shorted myself to the point of slave labour . Now I back out and piss people off....... I have also had people come to me and offer to pay me more as it was obvious I had not charged enough. I can't imagine that happening too often , especially here . The forums are full of ..... Mates :applaud:Just there for the free ride,those who actually contribute very little in any meaningful way..... They just wait and pounce when you are desperate enough to sell yourself ... They don't pm you and offer you work making horns at respectful rate ,they wait till your on your arse !

Personally , I don't need friends that badly. Fortunately the people I do the most speaker work for tell me when I'm not charging enough. Its cool now ,but there is still parasites out there .

Rich

scott fitlin
09-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, they are MUCHO EXPENSIVE! The TAD Pioneer website has the LIST price at $2860ea! OUCH, but, TAD IS TAD!

The TAD drivers are that good, though!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/BusinessProducts/ProfessionalSpeakers

Woody Banks
09-21-2010, 09:05 AM

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/index.php/products/tad_td4001

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1289086090&/TAD-TD-4001

Yes, I spotted the AudioGon pair but one diaphragm is bad. Normally you would want to change the pair to keep them matched properly. Chaching!

richluvsound
09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Woody,

I know the phase plug was redesigned in the 4003 and the 4002
is a completely different beast . I wondering what 2440 -41 would sound like with a new T-E Be Dia .

1600 for 2 motors and then spend money on new Be dia ..... The 4001 is not that much better than 2440 if atall . Where as the 4003 is a different ball game - the price reflects that .

The 2450 comes highly recommended with new Be Dia . Looks odd on the back of that sexy horn ,but I have thought about making a funky cover for the back cap . What do you think ?

Rich

withTarragon
09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes, I spotted the AudioGon pair but one diaphragm is bad. Normally you would want to change the pair to keep them matched properly. Chaching!

Be careful on the used ones. You do not want to use an aftermarket diaphragm (although there may be one exception). The OEM diaphragms are about $1,600 a pair, IIRC.

Boy, the numbers add up don't they.

-Tom

cooky1257
09-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Fortunately the people I do the most speaker work for tell me when I'm not charging enough. Its cool now ,but there is still scum out there .

Rich

:blink:Interesting business model you have there Rich, calling potential customers if they fail to pay you more than the agreed price 'scum' must have them queueing out the door.

richluvsound
09-21-2010, 02:32 PM
:blink:Interesting business model you have there Rich, calling potential customers if they fail to pay you more than the agreed price 'scum' must have them queueing out the door.

thats just my point .... its not a BUSINESS its a hobby... that at times we all get to make a little money from. Most of us try to make things that we have never made before ; its a complete unknown and yet we have enough confidence to believe we can achieve the result we imagine . What is often not considered is the amount of trial and error ,effort, money and time that goes into the final result .
How can one quantify , let alone quote the un-forseen .

The point I was making to WOODY is that there are people out there that will take advantage, even though they know the vendor has grossly under-charged for a service or product - and also that there those that would never accept that and offer to pay extra, but rather insist that ,infact it has not been a mistake and that infact, it was a CON. These people are scum In my book ... They have branded one as a cheat , and a thief , when really all the vendor was trying to do was have some fun with a hobby and also benefit a fellow hobbyist .

The strange thing is .... It has been a few fellow members here that have pointed out to me ,as I and Scot have done to Woody, that he was looking to get taken advantage of .....( as I was ) and that he was under-pricing a minimum of 30% based on the market value . There are Iwata horns made of fibreglass that are priced at 2600 euro a pair and selling well .... thats $ 3,400.00 Cooky . That is an Italian company making a profit not a friend trying to dig himself out of the shit by using his skills to the best of his knowledge .

http://www.jgaudio-systems.com/lesnikov/lista_precos_en.html Hell these are 7,000 euro's and guess what ,these are wood and no harder to build than the 290s.

http://www.olimpiaudio.com/Prodotti/Iwata/Iwata.html

I think I have made my point ,good night ! and good luck WOODY my fellow wood butcher

cooky1257
09-21-2010, 03:42 PM
The point I was making to WOODY is that there are people out there that will take advantage, even though they know the vendor has grossly under-charged for a service or product - and also that there those that would never accept that and offer to pay extra, but rather insist that ,infact it has not been a mistake and that infact, it was a CON. These people are scum In my book ... They have branded one as a cheat , and a thief , when really all the vendor was trying to do was have some fun with a hobby and also benefit a fellow hobbyist .

That is an Italian company making a profit not a friend trying to dig himself out of the shit by using his skills to the best of his knowledge .

All that is based upon the warped supposition that the buyers know more than the vendor about how much work has gone into them(clearly impossible)and hence are trying to con them.
In reality, as you've just demonstrated by your price examples, you are in fact far from clueless when it comes to knowing what the market charges for these things and together with Scott have let WOODY know a more realistic rate/price he can realise for his efforts/beautiful horns.

It is ridiculous for you to blame the purchaser for your own pricing-that is your responsibility.

It seems a little strange to be calling people/forum members scum on this thread while pleading for "community spirit/ lets put the past behind us" on another....

deafbykhorns
09-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Woody,
You could add me to the list of potential buyers.
Nice work!

hjames
09-22-2010, 03:04 AM

Very nice looking Horns, woody! Hope you do well with your sales!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=47602&stc=1&d=1284688968

kwingylee
09-22-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks Woody, ultimately you need to decide on your price.

I have heard great sounding wood horns and bad sounding wood horns. Whether the price is $1K, $1.5K or whatever, I would be interested in the measurements. Anything more than $1,000 is consider a big money to me. If your price is reasonable, I would be interested.

badman
09-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks Woody, ultimately you need to decide on your price.

I have heard great sounding wood horns and bad sounding wood horns. Whether the price is $1K, $1.5K or whatever, I would be interested in the measurements. Anything more than $1,000 is consider a big money to me. If your price is reasonable, I would be interested.

Fostex offers some similar product, for pricing guidelines.

xncnc
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
wow they look fantastic!!

are you the one that made hjames' horns? she recently demoed them for me and they LOOK and SOUND beautiful!!

made me want to put something similar together :D

hjames
09-23-2010, 07:00 PM
wow they look fantastic!!

are you the one that made hjames' horns? she recently demoed them for me and they LOOK and SOUND beautiful!!

made me want to put something similar together :D

Woody didn't have any for sale when I got mine - John W made the walnut horns I have now. They replaced a pair of JBL 2397 horns I had before - they didn't sound shabby either - and they may still be available - just check with Don Mascali. (member here)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=40397&stc=1&d=1245794560

pocketchange
09-25-2010, 06:06 PM
WOODY,
darned if I wouldn't look to someone else for something to get me through the tough times and for a comparison to the high priced (TAD) spread.
It took awhile but I put together a pair of 2482s for 19" trachorns and they sound fabulous. I'm guessing they would sound even better with a beautiful set of your horns.
I'm sure the TAD driver is a killer but for that kind of outlay, I'd have a heck of a time verifying their expense since I have heard the JBLs and they are not (in the least)
a shabby driver used in a three way system.
VERY NICELY DONE SIR. :applaud:

cosmos
09-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Woody,

I know the phase plug was redesigned in the 4003 and the 4002
is a completely different beast . I wondering what 2440 -41 would sound like with a new T-E Be Dia .

About five local guys tested TD-4001 against 2445 with Be diaphragms on TAD clone horns as well as on my horns earlier this year. It was reasonably close, the TAD is truly a great driver, but I believe the 2445 with Be was the clear winner. Just to be comparable is a feat for the 2445 Be. There was a significant difference in horn designs as well, but that's in another thread posted at the time. You won't go wrong with TADs, but in my mind the cheaper option is better.

richluvsound
09-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Cosmos,

I dare not look for that thread . From what I heard it would like digging up a partially decomposed corpse :o:

They are a cheap driver over here .... So for a 1/4 of the price I can enter the world 2" Be and be pretty close to the TAD's .... Seems a good place to start .

I have heard the 4003 on the proper horn .... It was nice ,but the crossover wasn't . Throwing money at something is no substitute for great engineering ! Thats been my experience anyway .

Rich

grumpy
09-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Throwing money at something is no substitute for great engineering

+1 :)

pocketchange
09-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Woody,

I'm guessing here, are the horns you produced a proven design? And again (I'm guessing) that you didn't just pull their design from thin air. Maybe a better question would be , what was it about this particular horn that "tweaked" you enough to make a pair?
As for validity of how they sound, I'm guessing that would be a given in lieu of the interest in the design.

I'd be right there with you too if I had a location to produce them!

JeffW
09-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Here are the latest versions of the A-290 style

The A-290 is a Yuichi horn, (http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/Horn/A290/A290.html) so I bet Woody's are fairly similar to those.

Woody Banks
09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
About five local guys tested TD-4001 against 2445 with Be diaphragms on TAD clone horns as well as on my horns earlier this year. It was reasonably close, the TAD is truly a great driver, but I believe the 2445 with Be was the clear winner. Just to be comparable is a feat for the 2445 Be. There was a significant difference in horn designs as well, but that's in another thread posted at the time. You won't go wrong with TADs, but in my mind the cheaper option is better.

Is this the thread you were thinking referring to? http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28034-Geez-who-the-hell-needs-TAD&p=282347&highlight=#post282347

Altec Best
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Ouch !!!

Ouch !!!

[QUOTE]Yeah, they are MUCHO EXPENSIVE! The TAD Pioneer website has the LIST price at $2860ea! OUCH, but, TAD IS TAD!

Oooouuuccchhhh !!!

That is Highway Robbery ! Almost 3 grand for one driver Please !! I'll stick to Altec & JBL for that kind of dough. :yes: :jawdrop:

Altec Best
09-27-2010, 02:30 PM

And save a whole lot a Dough to Boot !! ;)

tomee
09-28-2010, 01:41 PM
The A-290 is a Yuichi horn, (http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/Horn/A290/A290.html) so I bet Woody's are fairly similar to those.

Yuichi's website is fantastic, and a great help to the DIYer for building them. However, as far as I can tell a similar design dates back to the 1950s from Vitavox, but of course the origin may be even earlier. I attached photos I've found for them, and OswaldsMill audio has a picture of one here:
http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/vintage.html

(I started another thread asking about the origin of this design over in the general audio section.)

Woody's horns are fantastic looking! :applaud:

felixx
09-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Hmmm...you guys put me to work.
I will try to build a Yuichi 480 horns pair and I'll post here some pics if Woody don't mind.

djnagle
10-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Is this the thread you were thinking referring to? http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28034-Geez-who-the-hell-needs-TAD&p=282347&highlight=#post282347

Yep, that's the link. That was a great fall day spent in the garage with good friends and cool toys.

Ps, Woody, those are fine looking horns you've made. I know from experience that they sound great as well.

felixx
10-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Here my atempt but the parts not glued yet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Horn# (http://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Horn#)

richluvsound
10-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Felix,

They look great ..... maybe some day I'll make a pair !

Rich

Woody Banks
10-13-2010, 11:37 AM
NICE JOB FELIXX!

Which drivers will you be using and what will the rest of your system look like?

cooky1257
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
They look really nice.
BTW didn't Tiger woods horn get him into trouble?.....:rotfl:

richluvsound
10-13-2010, 12:55 PM
They look really nice.
BTW didn't Tiger woods horn get him into trouble?.....:rotfl:

Mine has got me in trouble at times :o:

felixx
10-14-2010, 04:19 AM
NICE JOB FELIXX!

Which drivers will you be using and what will the rest of your system look like?

Well... these horns wanted to be a match for TAD 2001 and will be.Still expensive this drivers for me at this moment.
My system is not "friendly heritage" with this forum but have a good acustical timbre.
I'm not a "tubby" sound guy but I like tubes if they offer musicality and not distorsion (so called tube sound....-II-harmonics most of all....).
Anyway....bellow some pics of my DIY gear (not chinese crap) and a few projects in progress.Enjoy.
http://forum.audiofil.ro/index.php?topic=571.0
http://forum.audiofil.ro/index.php?topic=569.0
http://forum.audiofil.ro/index.php?topic=566.0
http://forum.audiofil.ro/index.php?topic=1205.0

http://picasaweb.google.ro/felixanex/Incinta?authkey=Gv1sRgCP_tlPXs6KTGrQE#
http://picasaweb.google.ro/felixanex/Incinte?authkey=Gv1sRgCN2lzeHj17mM6AE#
http://picasaweb.google.ro/felixanex/NewFolder2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMn7ht2IyubyoQE#
http://picasaweb.google.ro/felixanex/Poze?authkey=Gv1sRgCKiPxdDCwuDiMA#
http://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Enclosures#
http://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Goodies#
http://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Cross#

I put veneer on the laterals,inside,because don't like'it vertical lines from ply.
More pics will come....
At the moment I have those Tannoy's in bass reflex enclosures and it seems very ok but I wanted to try for comparison TAD 2001+upper horns augmented with one of these woofers... Onken/Jensen or bass reflex enclosures:
-TAD TL1102
-Altec 414
-Supravox 285
-Supravox 400

If you have any advice for using a good high sensitivity woofer to complete the TAD's 2001 please shoot.
THX.

Woody Banks
10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
OUTSTANDING! Thanks for sharing your quest. I especially like the laminated cabinets.
That has to be one of the biggest CNC machines I have ever seen.

badman
10-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Anyway....bellow some pics of my DIY gear (not chinese crap) and a few projects in progress.Enjoy.

Beautiful work, I've done this quite a while and don't do work as nice.

felixx
10-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks.
The speakers are ready to sing.
Meranti veneer.

http://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Incinte1#

hjames
10-21-2010, 03:04 AM
I didn't hear anything further on your price for these horns, Woody.
I'm not sure I can do anything this month, but I'm always interested in sound upgrades ...
Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it publicly.

I first want to test the performance before I make them available for sale.
If all goes well, I will have a total of three pairs up for grabs sometime in October.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=47602&stc=1&d=1284688968

Woody Banks
10-22-2010, 09:40 AM
I didn't hear anything further on your price for these horns, Woody.
I'm not sure I can do anything this month, but I'm always interested in sound upgrades ...
Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it publicly.

I decided to set a price of $1500/pair on the batch (four pair) that I am currently finishing. These are apparently spoken for from other interested forum members. My plan was to invoice these members when I was finished with the polyurethane application. If those members do not respond, I will move down the list of interested members. This is a part time endevor and life keeps getting in my way. :D

Woody Banks
11-14-2010, 11:52 AM
WOODY,
darned if I wouldn't look to someone else for something to get me through the tough times and for a comparison to the high priced (TAD) spread.
It took awhile but I put together a pair of 2482s for 19" trachorns and they sound fabulous. I'm guessing they would sound even better with a beautiful set of your horns.
I'm sure the TAD driver is a killer but for that kind of outlay, I'd have a heck of a time verifying their expense since I have heard the JBLs and they are not (in the least)
a shabby driver used in a three way system.
VERY NICELY DONE SIR. :applaud:

The TAD prices really sucked so I ended up with a nice looking 2450J instead. I hope to be able to give a listen to the combo this week. As much as I hate to, the horns will be going on ebay in the next day or so.

Woody Banks
11-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Finished at last. Three pairs are still available. Next week will be ebay time. My next horn project will be Paduk with Wenge fins. This is the Oegon State Beavers colors: orange and black.

JeffW
11-21-2010, 06:35 PM
It's a shame all the "prospective buyers" backed out.

Shoot me a PM before you list them, I might have one more idea in mind.

baldrick
11-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Sorry if this is OT, but I just found an ad for a speaker called Barque M12 which I think looks so good! I don't know if it sounds good or which components that are being used, but if it sounds as good as it looks it should be pretty good and the price is not that bad either, aprox half the price of Array 1400.

48676!48675

martin_wu99
11-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Sorry if this is OT, but I just found an ad for a speaker called Barque M12 which I think looks so good! I don't know if it sounds good or which components that are being used, but if it sounds as good as it looks it should be pretty good and the price is not that bad either, aprox half the price of Array 1400.

48676!48675
It is Chinese made,they also have bigger ones:M15\M15II\M15signature(15''driver)\M18(not 18''driver,only bass horn)
As i konw,the compression is B&C,and they make woofer by themselvese.
There is also another wooden horn speakers workroom called L&T in China.

Woody Banks
11-24-2010, 09:34 AM

48676!48675

The topic was wood horns and fits just fine. The speakers remind me a little of the these K2 clones I saw on the RMAF site.

felixx
11-25-2010, 06:11 AM
TAD TL1601 woofer on the clone?

timc
11-25-2010, 06:56 AM

48676!48675

I saw some measurements of thoose. It did NOT look good.

4313B
11-25-2010, 09:29 AM
I saw some measurements of thoose. It did NOT look good.Yeah but the design looks pretty nice. Replace all that junk with some 1500AL's, H4338's or H9800's along with some 435Be's or 476Be's and then you have something. :)

Woody Banks
11-25-2010, 10:52 AM
TAD TL1601 woofer on the clone?

The salesman stated that they contained TAD components (4003&1601). I did a little research and found the manufacturer @ http: lals-audio.com.tw and was informed that they actually build the drivers themselves.

timc
11-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah but the design looks pretty nice. Replace all that junk with some 1500AL's, H4338's or H9800's along with some 435Be's or 476Be's and then you have something. :)

Very true. You would have something else...... :o:
For the price i guess you can't have it all.

I agree on the designt front. I would love to see more speakers like this on the market.

Btw: Those K2 clones look gorgeous

JeffW
11-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I have it on good authority that these horns are beautiful in person. :jawdrop:

1audiohack
11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah Man! One would be hard pressed to make them any nicer. They would have survived about anything including re-entry except maybe the heat, packaged very well. Nice work Woody, I don't know how they sound but they are gorgeous!

About one hour to noise!

1audiohack
11-30-2010, 01:29 AM
I am impressed. Only a quick impulse test for proper signal delay and let em rip. I have them on 2441's with aluminum diaphragms and they just sound nice! After a little run time and some measuring we'll load the beryllium.

timc
11-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Can you post some curves?

richluvsound
11-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Woody,

they are stunning Sir . You have the talent , you just need a bit of luck mate.
Hold out for the truextent , .... I have heard them and TAD .... the difference between the 2 aint worth
$ 5 K .... unless you sit there with all your measuring gear, you wont know the difference . But , then again, TAD does have the kudos ... kind of like having a uber expensive watch - %$$#^* useless :D

Rich

pos
11-30-2010, 03:29 AM
Hey Rich, how do you feel the truextent compare to your 2435 ?

JeffW
11-30-2010, 07:17 AM
I am impressed....they just sound nice!

Whew! :D

1audiohack
11-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Can you post some curves?

I will measure them in a few days after I have evaluated them suficiently with the analog analysis equipment I came equipped with. :)

miker
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Now available on Agon...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1296244426&/JBL-2435-HPL-Wood-Horns

JeffW
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Now available on Agon...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1296244426&/JBL-2435-HPL-Wood-Horns

I think those are a little different, for 1.5" compression drivers as opposed to the ones in this thread that are for 2" drivers.

2435 horn thread here (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28503-Wooden-horn-2435hpl&p=297292&highlight=#post297292)

But he's got some of the 2" models Listed here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300497520747&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156)

JeffW
12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Got mine today, and they are really nice. And heavy :applaud:

Good job, Woody. I wish more people could see these in person.

(And I think they were packed to withstand re-entry!)

Woody Banks
12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Woody,

they are stunning Sir . You have the talent , you just need a bit of luck mate.
Hold out for the truextent , .... I have heard them and TAD .... the difference between the 2 aint worth
$ 5 K .... unless you sit there with all your measuring gear, you wont know the difference . But , then again, TAD does have the kudos ... kind of like having a uber expensive watch - %$$#^* useless :D

Rich

Thanks Rich

I was able to pick up a nice 2450J. When I win the lottery I will replace the phrams with the truextents. I didn't realize that the 2450 was a 1.5" driver with a flared snout.

JeffW
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks Rich

I was able to pick up a nice 2450J. When I win the lottery I will replace the phrams with the truextents. I didn't realize that the 2450 was a 1.5" driver with a flared snout.

The snouted beasties seem to be measuring very good, stay tuned for some results with different drivers and different diaphragms including Truextent.

Woody Banks
12-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Got mine today, and they are really nice. And heavy :applaud:

Good job, Woody. I wish more people could see these in person.

(And I think they were packed to withstand re-entry!)

Thanks Jeff

Those horns are from the 'limited edition" class because my Tiger wood supply has gone away. I am glad they survived the trip.

JeffW
12-08-2010, 06:04 PM
It's nice wood, pretty hard! Just another reason that these things are "limited edition" no matter what, I can't imagine the effort that went into shaping that stuff.

I'm sure happy with them, and they match (color/grain, etc.) just perfectly. Pics still don't do them justice!

1audiohack
12-08-2010, 08:38 PM
The snouted beasties seem to be measuring very good, stay tuned for some results with different drivers and different diaphragms including Truextent.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be 2450BE's. These horns are going to want all the extension available.

1audiohack
01-11-2011, 07:45 PM
OK I know this has been a long time coming. I have a story to tell you, something that doesn't happen often enough.

I got this pair of horns from Woody to measure and create the crossover and EQ parameters for JeffW. I had been working in LEAP on the 2227 for the possible implementation of them into my main system and had constructed the enclosures and measured them fairly extensivly. I did this last summer but never listened to them. When the horns showed up before Cristmas I ran all my different drivers across them at 2m on axis, 2441Al, 2441Ti, 2446Ti and 2450Ti and then did my first full polar 5° increment measurement of them.

I brought in the 2227's and the Woody's with the 2446Ti's, set them up on top of my subs, (GTI1800,s in 9ft³ enclosures) sat down in front of the DBX 260 and entered the previously worked out signal delays, crossover slopes and EQ curve, (no computer of measurement gear in the room) powered it up, popped in a CD, set the driver levels by ear and within 20 seconds my 14 year old daughter (who plays sax and has ears) is out of her room and said WOW! Soon follwed my 18 year old son.

That was about noon on a Sunday, we just fed discs through it for hours! Over and over again my kids said "You just have such a great collectiion of music!" At 10PM I said it's a school night, we need to shut this off and get to bed, at 11PM I said the same thing, at 30 seconds to midnight I forced my self to turn it off. We didn't stop to eat or anything, the system got completely out of the way and it was all about the music. Everything we played sounded great, I have a lot of stuff that when your playing it loud at certain parts you just turn it down because something gets harsh or shrill, not that day, or since. No looking for music that made the system sound good, just the opposite. This kind of thing just does not happen often enough!

The hard drive in my laptop failed taking the LEAP Enclosure shop and Crossover shop details as well as the TEF Polar data to wherever it goes when that happens, I have the program in DBX saved and the enclosures of course.

I finally took a measurement of the system from my listening position about 11 feet from the speakers head height at the couch and think I see a reason I like it so much.

There is zero smoothiing applied to this measurement, with the tracking filter width the data is rock solid to down to 750 Hz and believable to 375 Hz or there about. Obviously there is no tweeter.

Be diaphragms go in this week.

JeffW
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
There is zero smoothiing applied to this measurement

Oh no you did-int!

Be diaphragms go in this week.

Yeah, yeah... :D

1audiohack
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Truextent Be's in. :D In short, they initially sound quieter, then i realized what's missing is noise, the have great definition. Suttle and real.

4313B
01-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Truextent Be's in. :D In short, they initially sound quieter, then i realized what's missing is noise, the have great definition. Suttle and real.Yep, they're the rage.

Basically they make compression drivers actually useful for music playback. :rotfl:

Woody Banks
01-14-2011, 10:40 AM
One or possibly two pair of horns remaining. Nothing planned for the future. Price reduced to $1300 plus shipping.
Instead of wooden horns, I have decided to try something that involves a profit this time. I was thinking of a line of wooden sex toys called Woody's Woodpeckers. :D

Mr. Widget
01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Instead of wooden horns, I have decided to try something that involves a profit this time. I know what you mean... I built a few horns years ago and while it was very satisfying and I made a few people happy, it certainly wasn't a profit center.

Widget

felixx
01-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Soon my 1" horn exit will be available for sale.
http://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Horn#
Still need to dry.

Mr. Widget
01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Still need to dry.Good luck in your venture... I hope it works out for you.

Widget

lowpoke
01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Still need to dry.

Woah ... I almost felt a little movement downstairs looking at those pics! :bouncy:

felixx
04-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Finished:
https://picasaweb.google.com/felixanex/Horn#

Thanks.
A real challenge for me will be TH 4003 ...but maded from plywood.I don't find ANY detalis,angles or internal measurements of this horn....anywhere....
I'll search even more....

Any thoughts?

Charles0322
04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
I love these threads about wood horns. I would love to build a pair too. This passed weekend I was at a club and in the booth they were using these.
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9032/monitoro.jpg (http://img810.imageshack.us/i/monitoro.jpg/) the owner said they were CNC'ed from walnut, that they were the TAD design for the drivers they were using - TAD 4001 drivers I think, 12s were TAD as well..:applaud:

pos
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
12s were tad as well..:applaud:
tm1201(h) !

Lang
04-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Woody,
You mentioned earlier you have one or two pairs for sale. I need pieces, are thopse horns still available?
Thanks.

Lee in Montreal
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Nice pair. :eek:

Eaulive
04-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Yep, I wonder how low they go without crossover :p

JBL 4645
04-27-2011, 06:04 AM

I bet they do super, super low and would beat those junk pile in that picture above it! ;)

Charles0322
04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
I bet they do super, super low and would beat those junk pile in that picture above it! ;)

They have some massive subs in that booth to hit the low band...

All speakers in the club and booth are driven with the Lab Grupen FP+ series.. I believe all the programming for the crossover points were done on the amps.

It is the best monitoring in a club I have ever heard period, 0 fatigue.. they played loud and clear all night.

Here is a tiny clip I recorded, but this was done using an external mic (hardly ideal) and the sound on youtube is always crappy.. but just to give you an idea of the clarity, it's some of the better audio I have shot in a club. This clip was shot with the monitors at unity gain on the Urei 1620.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5HegTz_A4

pos
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Nice vid!

It is intriguing that they use the TM1201 in a BR alignment. They must be very careful with the hipass filter as the xmech is quite low on this drivers (and the recone kit is NLA and cannot be replicated)...
It is also quite frightening to see these cone physically unprotected in a DJ booth!

Would you happen to know the crossover frequencies (and slopes?) they use, and also what drivers were in those subs?

Charles0322
04-30-2011, 11:42 AM
I cant remember the bass drivers? it's either 4, 18's or 4, 15's.. not TAD.

Drivers on the stacks unclude, either one or 2, 2405 (?) TAD 4001 for the horns (1), TAD 1603 (x4) and I believe (x2) 2242H in a RLA Bertha (folded horn). There are 6 stacks, with the two middle stacks seperated with the horns suspended high up and no Levan extensions on the middle Berthas. They also have some flying 2405 slots suspended from the ceiling.

Owner also told me he has no limiter so to speak, and they have not blown a speaker in over a year.

These speakers can handle serious output/abuse. In fact, these 12's used to be on top of the stacks and actually were the only drivers that survived the fire the club had a couple years back.

What is more crazy is all the Lab Grupen FP+ amps are uncovered on the dancefloor and anyone can mess with the controls, they have the amps set in the stacks :blink:

I will try and find out the details of the setup sometime this week when I go back to shoot another video in the booth.

Nice vid!

It is intriguing that they use the TM1201 in a BR alignment. They must be very careful with the hipass filter as the xmech is quite low on this drivers (and the recone kit is NLA and cannot be replicated)...
It is also quite frightening to see these cone physically unprotected in a DJ booth!

Would you happen to know the crossover frequencies (and slopes?) they use, and also what drivers were in those subs?

cka3o4nuk
06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
People can anybody share the normal cad drowing any format you use for Yuichi 290s horn
hate his dravings the hyperbolic profile became something terrible

Woody Banks
06-16-2011, 07:47 AM
PM sent.;)

pos
06-16-2011, 07:54 AM
What is more crazy is all the Lab Grupen FP+ amps are uncovered on the dancefloor and anyone can mess with the controls, they have the amps set in the stacks :blink:
Maybe that is part of the reason why it sounds good: short speaker cables means higher damping factor for the driver.

I will try and find out the details of the setup sometime this week when I go back to shoot another video in the booth.
Any news?

cka3o4nuk
06-20-2011, 12:05 PM
PM sent.;)

Aswered by pm but didnt got any mail :(

escultor
06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
:)
Thanks!

HI Woody
Beautifull work.. just got a pair off 4002 and I was thinking on a DIY horn but yours look
tham good.. do they work on the 4002
Regards

pos
09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
I love these threads about wood horns. I would love to build a pair too. This passed weekend I was at a club and in the booth they were using these.
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9032/monitoro.jpg (http://img810.imageshack.us/i/monitoro.jpg/) the owner said they were CNC'ed from walnut, that they were the TAD design for the drivers they were using - TAD 4001 drivers I think, 12s were TAD as well..:applaud:

They have some massive subs in that booth to hit the low band...

All speakers in the club and booth are driven with the Lab Grupen FP+ series.. I believe all the programming for the crossover points were done on the amps.

It is the best monitoring in a club I have ever heard period, 0 fatigue.. they played loud and clear all night.

Here is a tiny clip I recorded, but this was done using an external mic (hardly ideal) and the sound on youtube is always crappy.. but just to give you an idea of the clarity, it's some of the better audio I have shot in a club. This clip was shot with the monitors at unity gain on the Urei 1620.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5HegTz_A4

I though I would re up this thread as I just realized this club was member soundmanshorty's work:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?962-Stereo-Club-Montreal-more-sound-upgrades

Lee in Montreal
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
I though I would re up this thread as I just realized this club was member soundmanshorty's work:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?962-Stereo-Club-Montreal-more-sound-upgrades

I am not sure this is Stereo as Stereo closed many years ago (or at least it closed a long time ago). I used to go there from time to time.

But yes, that place has SBS's touch.
http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbsstereo1.swf

Eaulive
09-29-2011, 06:20 PM
I am not sure this is Stereo as Stereo closed many years ago (or at least it closed a long time ago). I used to go there from time to time.

But yes, that place has SBS's touch.
http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbsstereo1.swf

If you look at the pictures of the skyline at the end, this is definitely NOT Montreal !

MartinV56
10-20-2011, 10:58 PM
My midrange tractrix 250Hz wood horn with JBL LE5-2

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8538/s4010262.jpg

The next step to build JBL 4530 for the bass, best regards

cooky1257
02-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi Woody,
Did you ever complete the 1.5" to 2" adapter for these horns?
Is there a diagram so I could make some myself?
Thanks
Cooky

Woody Banks
02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi Woody,
Did you ever complete the 1.5" to 2" adapter for these horns?
Is there a diagram so I could make some myself?
Thanks
Cooky

No, that is another project that has failed to happen. My guess is that you would probably want to copy the flare rate like the snout on the 2450 driver. http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?docid=298&doctype=3 Then there is the circular to square transistion to also deal with. Maybe an 1.5" horn would be the ticket? I just happen to have a Tiger Wood pair I could make available that are yet to be test driven.
:D

Dbla
08-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Where can these horns be bought? And if they can be bought; how much for a set?

Dbla

stephane RAME
08-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Wood Horn Rey Audio RH-3
https://plus.google.com/photos/109291598265437888720/albums/6032939474243664273?authkey=CLK1prLuirLtAQ

Stéphane

atilsley
09-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Where can these horns be bought? And if they can be bought; how much for a set?

DblaI've built a few large Yuichi's using CNC'd euro birch ply. The adapter is round to square for two inch throat. A lovely horn. Can be supplied in flat pack 'kit', part assembled, or fully built/polished/stained.

Andrew

high sky
09-12-2014, 01:54 AM
Hi there

It looks nice and must sound even better.

Best Regards