PDA

View Full Version : New 125A Cap Hitting V/C

Wayne
09-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Hi all

Ive finally got around to rerolling & putting new caps on my 125A drivers, kit came from Rick Cobb, but have found that the cap which was not inverted, hence its removal will not fit snug on the cone in its inverted position as it is hitting the top of the voice coil :blink:.
The only thing I can think of is that they have been reconed in the past with the v/c to high hence the cap being put on the wrong way.
Any thoughts are welcome, they did work well prior to the roll going, should I finish rerolling & put the new cap back on the wrong way :dont-know:

doyall
09-11-2010, 08:56 AM
... hence its removal ...

Can't really address your question (C8R127A kit perhaps - is there any writing on the back of the cone) but I am curious as to how you got the dome off while keeping the cone so intact.

Wayne
09-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Can't really address your question (C8R127A kit perhaps - is there any writing on the back of the cone) but I am curious as to how you got the dome off while keeping the cone so intact.

Hi doyall

I held the cone still with one hand then useing a sharp exacto knife with the other cut about 10mm or so above the cement line removing the old cap.
Then I find a point that easily lifts in the cement line from the inside of where the cap was, then slowly cut & gently lift away the remains of the old cap but this time hanging on to the 10mm lip left behind.

Will p.m Rick & see what he says about the caps.

Yes there are numbers on both being 57802.

Cheers wayne
:cheers:

Wayne
10-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Hi doyall

Spoke to Rick regarding the Caps hitting the Voice coil in there Inverted position. He frankly couldnt explain it & stated that the only differance between a 125A Driver & a 127A Driver was that the 127A cap was Converted & not Inverted like the 125A. :blink:

Anyway theve gone on Converted, thought you might like some picks on how I remove & refit Caps, be gentle this is actualy my second go at doing so. :D

Cheers wayne

edgewound
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
The dust caps are different...or used to be anyway...for the requirement of the inverted (concave) dust cap for the 125A...It requires the shallower, rolled lip dustcap as is used on the 2121.

The standard 4" dustcap is a bit deeper and won't lay down when inverted to accept the finishing glueline.

That's the difference. The 127A dust cap isn't inverted....so the straight lip cap will sit just fine on top of the cone.

Wayne
10-12-2010, 02:29 PM
The dust caps are different...or used to be anyway...for the requirement of the inverted (concave) dust cap for the 125A...It requires the shallower, rolled lip dustcap as is used on the 2121.

Hi edgewound

Thanks heaps for the info, fiquired Rick Cobb might have known that.
Oh well, its too late now unless you know where I can get the right ones as Rick believes that his are. :confused:

Besides theres nothing like a bit of practice.

Cheers Wayne.