PDA

View Full Version : build a speaker using JBL drivers

HemiMoparGuy198
09-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey All,

I'm trying to tread lightly with this one as I'm sure its something that will almost be frowned upon around here...But a buddy of mine recently acquired a single Klipsch La Scala, and we hooked it up in his garage and I was quite impressed with it as it filled the entire garage with sound with a very cheap, old, tiny amp. Upon this I decided to learn a bit about these speakers so I did some research and found that it was designed to have big sound with minimal power. Now, it sounds nothing like my JBL 4647's especially bass wise. Anyway, its the design of the cabinet that projects the sound...so I think they would be great for a garage/workshop system, that and the drivers are all pretty well protected from flying debris because of the cabinet design...and I like the idea of very inexpensive amplifiers for in the workshop where they can be damaged by dust, overspray, and chemicals and such.

Anyway, I am wanting to clone the cabinets for these speakers but load them with JBL horns and drivers. Now the size of the top where the horns go doesn't matter, so I can use any horn suggested. The woofer is a 15". So I am looking for some ideas as to what you guys may think would be the best horn, woofer, and crossover setup would prolly go best for my intended use.

Sorry for the "cross-breeding" of speakers...like I said, just an idea, I am open to other ideas as well. I posted a pic of the speaker mentioned to give an idea of what I am talking about.

louped garouv
09-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey All,

I'm trying to tread lightly with this one as I'm sure its something that will almost be frowned upon around here...But a buddy of mine recently acquired a single Klipsch La Scala......

Sorry for the "cross-breeding" of speakers...like I said, just an idea, I am open to other ideas as well. I posted a pic of the speaker mentioned to give an idea of what I am talking about.

you sure the klipsch wasn't just a mini-sized version of the shearer?

:D

HemiMoparGuy198
09-07-2010, 05:15 PM
you sure the klipsch wasn't just a mini-sized version of the shearer?

:D

Why yes, I guess that does look to be possible. Ok, so than does JBL have a speaker that is similar to what I am wanting that can utilize more modern drivers that are readily available?

withTarragon
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I think the comparison to the Shearer horn is a red herring, but it is not relevant anyway.

First issue is the design: The LaScala is horn loaded bass, however, the flare rate and horn length are too fast and short to produce a good bass. So putting in an expensive driver in hopes of getting better bass would be a bad idea.

Second issue: The JBL parts (drivers, horns) are quite good, but they also are quite expensive. I would stick to the JBL designs (which typically do not have horn loaded bass bins) if you are going to use the JBL components. BTW, drivers (woofers) suited for vented boxes may not be usable in horn loaded designs.

I appreciate your comments about the sound of a highly efficient system and their sound. There are other designs (some from Klipsch, electro-voice) for horn loaded bass bins that are better then the La Scala. The La Scala is a fairly simple build, the alternatives are not however.

HemiMoparGuy198
09-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I think the comparison to the Shearer horn is a red herring, but it is not relevant anyway.

First issue is the design: The LaScala is horn loaded bass, however, the flare rate and horn length are too fast and short to produce a good bass. So putting in an expensive driver in hopes of getting better bass would be a bad idea.

Second issue: The JBL parts (drivers, horns) are quite good, but they also are quite expensive. I would stick to the JBL designs (which typically do not have horn loaded bass bins) if you are going to use the JBL components. BTW, drivers (woofers) suited for vented boxes may not be usable in horn loaded designs.

I appreciate your comments about the sound of a highly efficient system and their sound. There are other designs (some from Klipsch, electro-voice) for horn loaded bass bins that are better then the La Scala. The La Scala is a fairly simple build, the alternatives are not however.

I never thought of that, that the woofer may not be well suited...I always though the woofer just moves air, creating waves of sound.

I have seen and researched a bit of the other Klipsch's you mention but I think the size of the La Scala is about perfect for my needs. But if I get more info on the JBL drivers not being suited well enough, then the idea is out, I have a passion for JBL...it's bad enough I have strayed my thoughts as far as I have. But it just seems like a good idea for my particular application.

I realize that no matter what I put in as drivers, I'm not going to get much more bass, that wasn't a concern of mine, I think I just commented on it in the process of my ramblings as the thought popped into my head.

louped garouv
09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
But if I get more info on the JBL drivers not being suited well enough, then the idea is out, I have a passion for JBL...

I do believe that there are JBL woofers that can be horn loaded
with a good degree of sucess...

i've heard of folks being very happy with their TAD 160* loaded KHorns...
and the TAD is pretty simmilar to some JBL drivers, correct?

I think (from internet readings) some of the key parameters for 'determining' if a particular woofer is 'suitable' for horn loading are 'Bl' and 'Qts'

here's a thread (on another forum) that goes into it a bit....
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/0/50507/16/0/
(it's admittedly just a start with conflicting info ;) )

good luck with your project!

Zilch
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
JBL did and does bass horns -- folded, front-loaded, rear-loaded, all kindza horns. Hartsfield, anyone?

[Some of their latest driver designs are well suited to the use.... :yes: ]

jcrobso
09-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Yes, you can use several different JBL 15" in that La Scala.
As others have said the bass is limited by the horn flare, but JBL 15 sound better than EV's do. One trick would be to aim the bass horn part into a corner and extend the flair as done with the "K" corner horn. Then mount the HF horns facing out.

Your choice, D140F, K140, E140, 2205, 2220, 2225, 2226 all would work. My "K" horns have D140F because that was what I had at the time. I did try a 2220 but went back to the D140F.

HemiMoparGuy198
09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I like the idea of building a JBL speaker that is similar to the LaScala in that it is horn loaded or whatever the exact terminology is. I looked through a bit at the Hartsfield that Zilch mentioned, and I found plans to build that, and I think I like that idea versus cross-breeding. I just didn't realize JBL made something like that. Any other ideas that would be better than the Hartsfield?

Hoerninger
09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
This bass horn is deep, powerful and clean - but very difficulty to build.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?11909-Paragon-XXL&p=121158&viewfull=1#post121158

If you are new to speakers, it is better to start with a proven design.
JBL offers many.

pocketchange
09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
As for using JBL 15" woofer in a loaded horn...
Go for it, I'll testify that it works just fine.
Especially if all you have to build is a single to match the one you have.
Great Idea and a nice project :bouncy:

HemiMoparGuy198
09-16-2010, 08:23 AM
This bass horn is deep, powerful and clean - but very difficulty to build.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?11909-Paragon-XXL&p=121158&viewfull=1#post121158

If you are new to speakers, it is better to start with a proven design.
JBL offers many.

While I don't doubt my skills at all to build this, as I built my house and all of the (wood) furniture in it...(well, now, the ex's furniture and house) I just don't know where I'd put that monster when finished. It'd be fun to tackle though, for sure. Maybe when I build my huge dream shop, I'd have enough room and go at building this.

HemiMoparGuy198
09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
As for using JBL 15" woofer in a loaded horn...
Go for it, I'll testify that it works just fine.
Especially if all you have to build is a single to match the one you have.
Great Idea and a nice project :bouncy:

Well, I don't have one, it's my buddy's in his garage. But I do only need one, as I don't need stereo effects in the workshop, just background noise when the equipment isn't running.