PDA

View Full Version : Altec 808-8B with 511B and/or 811B horns

kwingylee
09-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Does anyone have frequency response measurements on the ALTEC 802G or 808-8Bs /511B combination without the M19 XO, Radian or GPA diaps? I am trying to equalize this combination using a active EQ (no simple CD compensation) but I am having difficulties finding such measurements. Almost everything I had found in the VALENCIA or other threads showed equalized FR curves for the 802Gs.

I actually have the 808-8Bs but I am assuming their response is similar to the 802Gs?

I appreciate the help from the experts on this forum. I am trying to integrate 511B/808-8B combo to a custom built Klipsch Jubilee bass bottom. The system sounds great but I want to refine it further.

Thanks in advance.

Progneta
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey,
the 808s use a symbiotik diaphragm. It handles more power but less hi freq output than an 802-8g as the 802-8g uses an aluminum diaphragm. Pop in an aluminum diaphragm and you will be good!

I prefer the 802-8g on a 511 horn. Sounds smoother to me, but others prefer 811. If you have both 811 and 511, try it out and see what you like!

kwingylee
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey,
the 808s use a symbiotik diaphragm. It handles more power but less hi freq output than an 802-8g as the 802-8g uses an aluminum diaphragm. Pop in an aluminum diaphragm and you will be good!

I prefer the 802-8g on a 511 horn. Sounds smoother to me, but others prefer 811. If you have both 811 and 511, try it out and see what you like!

Are the symbiotk diaphragms pretty worthless? Aluminum diaphragm from GPA? Or take one from the 806? Is the GPA diaphragm as good as / better than the ALTECs?

I was hoping I could actively equalize the 808-8Bs to get the desired response?

louped garouv
09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Are the symbiotk diaphragms pretty worthless? Aluminum diaphragm from GPA? Or take one from the 806? Is the GPA diaphragm as good as / better than the ALTECs?

GPA has the old Altec tooling (from my understanding), although they don't seem to make as many different spec diaphragms as Altec used to 'back when'....

If you send the driver to GPA, they will fit the diaphragm, after cleaning and remag.
it's pretty inexpensive to have work done also....

Progneta
09-08-2010, 11:38 AM

The sym are not worthless, they are good for midranges and worth keeping as a replacement incase you blow a fram later. It will be hard to equalize to get the sound you want, as the symbiotik diaphragm is going to be limited and have a tough time getting up in to high note range. I dont recall off hand how high the Symbiotik fram goes, but I do know that the 802 alum frame is good to "20K" so they say....At any rate, there is a big sound difference between symb and alum frams and you will want to get yourself some frams from GPA...At least to my ears, I prefer GPA alum frams anyday of the week!

I think if you send them the driver, they will install the new fram, clean, and remag for about the cost of the diaphragm itself...It will be like a new 802....VERY NICE!

Zilch
09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
If 802-8Bs have tangerine phase plugs, they will get there with GPA diaphragms. I have no experience with Symbiotiks.

Whether the high-frequency extension available with HF compensation is a consequence of the tangerine or the diaphragm is indeterminate, and subject to debate. The "lite" diaphragm has its own set of issues.

My recollection is that I could not get a non-tangerine 802 to 20 kHz. Based upon six samples, it's clear that 806s won't do it, but many Altec enthusiasts could apparently care less.

[They don't want to hear it.... ;) ]

kwingylee
09-09-2010, 08:33 PM
If 802-8Bs have tangerine phase plugs, they will get there with GPA diaphragms. I have no experience with Symbiotiks.

Whether the high-frequency extension available with HF compensation is a consequence of the tangerine or the diaphragm is indeterminate, and subject to debate. The "lite" diaphragm has its own set of issues.

My recollection is that I could not get a non-tangerine 802 to 20 kHz. Based upon six samples, it's clear that 806s won't do it, but many Altec enthusiasts could apparently care less.

[They don't want to hear it.... ;) ]

LOL....about the 806s. I have those in my Flamencos and I am quite aware of their short comings - espcially with rock music. They do sound great with music preferred by audiophiles in Asia.

I will check with GPA. What is the lite fram? Is there a particular diaphragm that I is prefer? I am going to live with the 511B/808-8B combo until I can afford a good 2" horn/TAD 4001 combo,

Zilch
09-09-2010, 10:17 PM
"Lite" was a thinner aluminum diaphragm made by Altec. GPA does not offer it. My measurements with one in and 802-8G are posted somewhere in this forum....

Altec Best
09-10-2010, 10:14 AM
it's clear that 806s won't do it, but many Altec enthusiasts could apparently care less.

Well lets see.I certainly care.Depends on what 806 your talking about. The 806-8A gets close to 20khz IIRC especially in the later production model 806-8A's that got tangerines they also came stock with the "Lite" 23744 diaghram.Which was just before the 802-8G came out.I'm pretty sure but don't qoute me on it.But the 806-8A isn't one of my favorites.

Do you remember what thread those measurements The "Lite" diaghram measurement are in search function doesn't produce it.I will be measuring a Brand New pair of NOS 033952's with the 23744 diaghram in original Altec shipping boxes,they never seen power yet so will be very interesting.;)

kwingylee
09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Well lets see.I certainly care.Depends on what 806 your talking about. The 806-8A gets close to 20khz IIRC especially in the later production model 806-8A's that got tangerines they also came stock with the "Lite" 23744 diaghram.Which was just before the 802-8G came out.I'm pretty sure but don't qoute me on it.But the 806-8A isn't one of my favorites.

Do you remember what thread those measurements The "Lite" diaghram measurement are in search function doesn't produce it.I will be measuring a Brand New pair of NOS 033952's with the 23744 diaghram in original Altec shipping boxes,they never seen power yet so will be very interesting.;)

Please do share your comments. Most of the measurements I found (mostly made by Zilch) are in the massive Valencia 846B thread started by storm and the altec 9844 thread....

Zilch
09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?14690-Look-at-my-new-babies...Altec-846Bs-w-EV-Tweeters!&p=171640&viewfull=1#post171640

Altec Best
09-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Hey Zilch, Thanks for the Link.Once I get settled in,I'll be measuring them on a H811 and on a 511E with a 21216 attachment.Also mounted in my 19's.Thanks Again for the link. ;)

@Kwingylee, Will do in the next couple weeks or so.Work permitting as I'm up to my eyeballs at the moment.:(

kwingylee
09-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey Zilch, Thanks for the Link.Once I get settled in,I'll be measuring them on a H811 and on a 511E with a 21216 attachment.Also mounted in my 19's.Thanks Again for the link. ;)

@Kwingylee, Will do in the next couple weeks or so.Work permitting as I'm up to my eyeballs at the moment.:(

Thanks, right now I am really enjoying the sound of my system, even though its heavily equalized based on Zilch's 802G measurements. This combo has put my Harbeths in moth balls for the moment at least.