PDA

View Full Version : L88 speaker wire gauge question?

Salad
09-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Hello,
I just got a pair of L88's and was surprised at how small the push button speaker wire connection was. I'm currently using 12 gauge and it's too large unless I only get about half of it in so I'm thinking of getting some smaller gauge wire.
Anyone have any suggesstions as to what size would work best?

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Anyone have any suggesstions as to what size would work best?

dont go with smaller wire , just switch to modern 5 way gold posts......cost you under $10 for 4.....all you need is a drill, screwdriver,pliers,allen wrench.

pull the woofers ....undo the screw on the backside of the stock posts (screwdriver)....hole thru the cab will need to be enlarged abt 1/32nd.(drill) Stick new shiney ones thru now enlarged holes and reattach the wire connector...tighten it all down (pliers) ...half hour at tops.

biggest hint the I can give you is to get an allen wrench and put its small leg thru the new binding posts wire connection hole to hold from outside while you tighten inside and to keep the hole aligned properly..

there I just made it sound a lot more complicated that it really is...

(I did my L26, L36's, L88s,L100's,L166's ..piece o' cake and prolly increases value)

Salad
09-04-2010, 06:35 PM
dont go with smaller wire , just switch to modern 5 way gold posts......cost you under $10 for 4.....all you need is a drill, screwdriver,pliers,allen wrench.

pull the woofers ....undo the screw on the backside of the stock posts (screwdriver)....hole thru the cab will need to be enlarged abt 1/32nd.(drill) Stick new shiney ones thru now enlarged holes and reattach the wire connector...tighten it all down (pliers) ...half hour at tops.

biggest hint the I can give you is to get an allen wrench and put its small leg thru the new binding posts wire connection hole to hold from outside while you tighten inside and to keep the hole aligned properly..

there I just made it sound a lot more complicated that it really is...

(I did my L26, L36's, L88s,L100's,L166's ..piece o' cake and prolly increases value)

Yeah, I was thinking about moding so thanks for the instructions. It would be nice to keep them as is but the connectors are tiny!

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about moding so thanks for the instructions. It would be nice to keep them as is but the connectors are tiny!

they're not only tiny, but they break easily ..have bought countless JBL's where the end piece with the colored cap has broken off...

and with 5-ways you have your choice of connection modes in addition to bare wire.

57BELAIRE
09-07-2010, 05:52 AM
How 'bout alligator clips...no mods on the l-pads?