PDA

View Full Version : Are these Heathkit cross overs looking bad?

HarryN
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
I took these pictures from a I guess a Heathkit Altec Valencia clone. I just bought 2 pairs of these, one pair being real Altecs, and the other were the clones. I read somewhere on here that the xover was different, and it is. These have what should be the caps encased in like a black plastic, and there is the same stuff at the bottom of the box. It must have been made this way, as the box sits sideways, and so the bottom in the picture would be the side in real life, and if the stuff was leaking it would be all over the side in the picture, which it isn't.

The Altecs have 2 transformers, or coils, and this one looks like it has only 1, with 2 caps encased in the black rubber. These have to be at least 35 years old, and so from what I have read it would help to replace the caps. That doesn't look as easy as it was with the Altecs.

Any suggestions here?

HarryN
08-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Also, I forgot the mention that both the horn and woofer of the HK's are 16 ohm, instead of the 8 ohm for the Altecs. How much difference does that make?

spkrman57
09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
That would have been normal, not something leaking out of the components.

Early Altecs were mostly 16 ohm.......8 ohm drivers came out mostly later when solid state amps became more common.

Ron

Title should have read filled instead of fat-fingered "filloed" which I can't edit....