PDA

View Full Version : 4311 advice

padraiconeill
08-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi, As a newbie, let me first say thank you for the information, time and dedication this site represents. What a wonderful resource! Had I found it sooner I might not be asking these questions.

That said, I've had the pleasure of owning a pair of 4315A's for the last 30 years. So, when they were scheduled for downtime for new surrounds, I naturally thought something JBL would be nice in the interim. Hence the 4311's. OOPS! Not what I was expecting, though had I looked at specs first...

So, now I've done my homework (belatedly), and my choices seem to be:

1. Sell them. (There seems to be ready market.)
2. Learn to live with them. (Not likely.) or,
3. Make them something they're not, i.e. such as swapping out the mid and tweeter.

I'm leaning towards 3, minding that just buying 4412's is not as simple as it sounds. However, changing drivers raises crossover issues. Arrgh!

Pat Johnson

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
Mark Twain

robertbartsch
08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Each JBL designed system is different and each has its own character - like children.

What is you beef with the 4311s?

I would advise against swapping components to try to "fix" them to your liking.

Audiobeer
08-26-2010, 01:08 PM
I always thought they needed somewhat of a gutsy amp (100 watts or so) to sound authouritive or as accurate as they are going to get. I like the sound. If you don't like them clean up the cabinets and sell them on Craigs List or Audiogon. Markeys pretty tough right now. One used to expect $500 for clean ones but in todays market $300 is what they move for.

padraiconeill
08-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Admittedly, I've been spoiled by the 4315's (which I bought because I didn't have room for 4350's). I bought the 4311's based on a 35 yr. old memory of a friend's system. I'd never heard them side by side either. And had I read the specs first, I'd have seen the 15K top end and said never mind.

These speakers were intended for a second system I put together for vinyl playback and digital transcription. My primary system combination of the 4315's plus a sub gives a reasonably flat 20-20K. The electronics for the second system is comprised of a late 70's Technics "Professional Series" rack system with 2 amps, each bridged to mono, putting out 180 watts. It also includes a 5-band parametric equalizer. So I believe they're adequately powered. And while I can adjust for the low end bump and the mid peak, there is nothing to be done for the limited top end.

So I guess that answers the question. I"ll send them back into the market, in the hope that they'll find someone who appreciates them more than I do. And continue searching for a pair of 4412's.

Thank you for your responses and your patience.

Pat Johnson

The Second Axiom says "He who expects nothing is seldom disappointed".

Audiobeer
08-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Definitely have plenty of power. Check the DCR on the drivers and if they are witin specs kick them to the curb! What didn't you like? Did they seem to be colored or to much of the West Coast sound. Try a L96 or 4313B

padraiconeill
08-27-2010, 02:23 PM
I suppose I'm looking for a 4315 in a smaller box. The bass seems muddy or smeared, even with a "Zilch plug" and eq. And the high end just seems rather dull. After considerable reading subsequent to this purchase, I have a much clearer understanding of the difference between "control" and "studio" monitors. And the differing design goals of the 4311 vs 4315. The 4412 seems to suit what I'm wanting, at least on paper and by reputation. So, the 4311's will stay, unmolested, until something better can be found.

BMWCCA
08-27-2010, 03:04 PM
The 4412 seems to suit what I'm wanting, at least on paper and by reputation.

Don't count out the L96, as others have suggested, and of course the L112. I'd even suggest the lowly L80T modded with T3 x-overs. Certainly the 4410/A would do it, too. All should net out less than what your 4311s should bring.

I'm saying this as an L96, L112, 4412A, L80T/3, and 4345 owner. And don't get me started on why the L5 might be the best solution for you if you can get over that "monitor" appellation hang-up! :D